Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    yup. Not only that but the hand of god. Imagine if your team scores a hand goal!!!!
    well, regarding the issue of scoring by using the hand of god your team has more experience with that though. but pls don't teach us about that on sunday

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    well, regarding the issue of scoring by using the hand of god your team has more experience with that though. but pls don't teach us about that on sunday
    If we end up scoring with a handball, I'll take it, tbh... plus any England fan can tell you how longlasting the butthurt is when you lose a game that way

Believe.
    My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    If we end up scoring with a handball, I'll take it, tbh... plus any England fan can tell you how longlasting the butthurt is when you lose a game that way
    forever?

The argies have ....ZERO ... Cero ...niente ... Nada ...NOOO chance against the Germs tbh ... Robben knows his .

Too much of lucking out Brazil style... I don't like the germs champing out ... but facts are facts ... They play great team ball... Argies play like real tbh.

My Team
    Colombia
    Post Count
    agree and disagree ^

I would not say nazi harborers play like . they had mas o menos World Cup(they did luck out with their path to the Finals tbh. Everyone knew they had red carpet to the finals thanks to Grondona) But I gotta give props to them on their game vs. Hollandaise. they played as a typical Euro, very boring but making very very few mistakes.

I will repeat again they have about 20% chance vs the Krouts thou

no doubt

The bar at the brittish embassy in Argentina is called "the hand of god"

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    The argies have ....ZERO ... Cero ...niente ... Nada ...NOOO chance against the Germs tbh ... Robben knows his .
    Cry some more Robben

Solo robar

My Team
    Colombia
    Post Count
    120 minutes + penalties one day later after the other team played a glorofied training match is a huge disadvantage. Specially after 7 games in little more than 20 days.

The more I think about it I just don't see how Argentina can pull this one. Remember that their 2nd and 3rd best player on paper are injured (Di Maria and Aguero). Added to the fact that 90% of the stadium will be against them and that Germany would still be the better side on equal terms and there's just no chance. It would take a massive choke job from the Germans, tbh.
    talk about making excuses... Man up already, Messi ran less than Neuer so far ... Pathetic stuff from someone who has the hypocrisy to on Colombia , show some pride son.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Gotta root for the team in black and white to succeed the team in red and yellow as champs all over again!

Argentina, give us one more!

Believe.
    My Team
    FIFA_Mexico
    Post Count
    I dont think Germany will have it easy at all, Argentina will play there hearts out and play whatever style is necessary to control Germany, whether its just falling back and playing rock solid defense, or utilizing that great offense they have.

sure germany has a better team, but Argentina has the best player in the world surrounded by solid players who are more then willing to do the dirty work. If theres a match where Messi really has to give it his all, its this one.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Argentina vs. Germany final referee controversy echoes, 24 years later

Print

More

Photo: Robert Riger/Getty Images
    Referee Edgardo Codesal, second from left, was at the center of controversy in the 1990 World Cup final between Argentina and West Germany.

BY BEN LYTTLETONEmail

Posted: Fri Jul. 11, 2014
    The outstanding image from the last time Germany and Argentina met in the World Cup final, back in Italy in 1990, was not Andreas Brehme striking home the winning penalty in the 85th minute, securing the 1-0 win for the European side, nor was it coach Franz Beckenbauer celebrating with the trophy.
    It was actually current U.S. national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann, tackled late by Pedro Monzon after a one-two combination with Lothar Matthaus, rolling three times and then raising up on one shoulder to continue his pained reaction. The challenge was in keeping with the rest of the game, and Monzon, a halftime subs ute, was shown a straight red card for the tackle by referee Edgardo Codesal.

Worse was to come for Argentina: five minutes from time, Codesal awarded West Germany a penalty after Matthaus played through Rudi Voller, who, tightly marked by Roberto Sensini, fell to the ground in the area.
    Previously in the match, Codesal had rejected Gabriel Calderon’s claims after a similar clash with Klaus Augenthaler.
    Two minutes later, Codesal sent off another Argentine, Gustavo Dezotti, for grabbing Jurgen Kohler around the neck and wrestling him to the ground in an effort to get the ball off him for a throw-in. Codesal ran over and theatrically brandished his second red of the game, reducing Argentina to nine men.
    “The referee has been physically manhandled by five players and if Argentina continue like this, FIFA will have to ban them from the next World Cup!” said BBC commentator John Motson. “Surely you can’t have this in the final!”
    PLANET FUTBOLBrazil's nightmare gets worse: Argentina to play for World Cup le

by Jonathan Wilson

This was Codesal’s last game as a referee. When he returned to Mexico after the game [he was Mexican-Uruguayan, and his grandfather was born in Argentina], he was confronted with hordes of journalists.“I was brave and honest, like I always am,” he said. “The foul was Argentina’s fault, not mine. I’m calm and happy.”
    At that World Cup, Codesal had taken charge of Italy’s 1-0 win over USA, awarding a penalty missed by Gianluca Viali, and blew for two penalties as England beat Cameroon 3-2 in the quarterfinal. FIFA observers gave him an average rating of 8.5 for his performances.
    Codesal’s father, Jose Maria, was a referee who officiated at the 1966 World Cup. The one piece of advice he gave his son: “Don’t ever give a penalty if you think you will have to explain it a thousand times.” Nine years on, he remained convinced that his decision had been the correct one.
    “I have no doubt,” he told Ole. “The referees don’t have to look for intent, they have to look for contact. This is what I saw: the Argentine tried to get to the ball first but he stretched his leg and tackled the German. It was a penalty. I was convinced at the time and I have not changed my mind since. For me, it’s a closed case.”
    The case, actually, was far from closed. Soon after that interview, Humberto Rojano, the former president of the Mexican Referees’ Commission, went public on how Codesal had been appointed. He spoke of a meeting he had with Javier Arriaga, former head of the Mexican FA’s Referees’ Commission and a key figure in FIFA’s Referees’ Commission in 1990. Arriaga also happened to be Codesal’s father-in-law.
    Rojano told Mexican paper La Jornada that “the authorities,” *a phrase that is deliberately vague, *had told Arriaga that “Argentina didn’t have to win.”
    “I know the Argentines still hate me and that hurts,” Codesal told Reforma years later. “I love them and it hurts that I made them suffer. I would have liked Argentina won their third World Cup back in 1990. If I were God, I would change things, but I’m not God. I do know that in 50 years, they still won’t forgive me.”
    Codesal had actually watched the 1986 World Cup final between the same sides in Mexico, and had been supporting Argentina. But in 2011, over 20 years after the incident, Codesal’s stance had hardened against the continued hostility from the losing nation.
    “I admire the Argentines for their will to win, but they have not learnt to lose, they just can’t accept it,” he said. “Someone told them that they lost because I was the referee, and they believed it. When Maradona uses his hand to score, that's intelligent; but if they don't win, it’s because someone stole from them.”
    FIFA will announce the referee for Sunday's clash between Germany and Argentina Friday afternoon, and whoever earns the honor will surely be operating with the cloud of Codesal lingering in the memory.

Believe.
    My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    Rizzoli will be the ref on Sunday.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    He was the guy that reffed us against Belgium... no complains, tbh

Rizzoli will be the ref on Sunday.
    Cool, not a bad choice. I hope he doesn't up any important call for both teams.

, does anyone know how to embed a tweet on this forum? ing twitter!

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count

, does anyone know how to embed a tweet on this forum? ing twitter!
    We do
    We won't tell you

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    Are you ready Slomo the Slovenian master? Germany or Argentina's Soccer Forum skin will (and should) be changed by Sunday night.

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    FIFA
    Post Count
    It's only fair

Highlights:

Shootout:

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    FIFA
    Post Count

The Defense doesn't rest Manu'sMagicalLeftHand's Avatar
    My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    Fair, indeed.

Anyways, must be sad rooting for another nation, not the one you were born in

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    ^
    Venti Quattro

My Team
    AC Milan
    Post Count
    Fair, indeed.

Anyways, must be sad rooting for another nation, not the one you were born in
    Infinite bull is not german??

Thread Information