I'll come clean and admit that it's been a joy watching Messi dominate oppositions. He hasn't scored a goal in the knock out stages, but he set up Di Maria and had a hand in Higuain's goal against Belgium. Ultimately, his biggest contribution comes from the fact that he has to be marked and that really limits opponents offensively..His ability to keep CMF's and DMF's play defense 90% is also part of the reason why oppositions are having trouble building up offense. He breaks the connection between offense and defense..Messi is the main gun in offense and part of the reason why they're successful in defending as well.

You might notice him walking in the field in defense and waiting in front, but a close look and you will know that it effectively keeps CMF's and DMF's at bay..which limits other teams to crosses and poor attempts in the middle. I only wish Ronaldo was used in the same sense.

I would also like to comment on all the Ozil hate on this board...Though he has been subpar and hasn't scored much goals or assisted that much, Ronaldo loves him for a reason. I've never seen as good of a player as Ozil in terms of drawing opponets to him to give others the space..There is a reason why he was initially placed in front..

It's unfortunate that get so many idiots that can't appreciate how important that is..Ozil has been phenomenal. Germany has a lot of great subs, but he's still there for a reason. Lowe sees this tbh. Selfless player..Everything is about giving people the opportunity to succeed.

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    FIFA
    Post Count
    0/2

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Well Mesut is a serial choker, so anything will impress him

The Defense doesn't rest Manu'sMagicalLeftHand's Avatar
    My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    The problem for Ozil is that he is surrounded by players with a very high work rate, so at times he looks lackadaisical, on and off the ball, attacking and defending. But he's not such a bad player. He left Madrid because he felt he was not appreciated and thought he couldn't compete with all the attacking midfielders there. Di Maria chose to stay and fight for his spot, but they're different kinds of players. Overall, he's hardly someone you wouldn't like on any squad. Better to have this kinds of players than the over-muscled, overrated dross Brazil's midfield fielded (Luiz Gustavo, Fernandinho, Ramires, Paulinho).

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    I'll take Ozil over Hulk, tbh

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    FIFA
    Post Count
    The problem for Ozil is that he is surrounded by players with a very high work rate, so at times he looks lackadaisical, on and off the ball, attacking and defending. But he's not such a bad player. He left Madrid because he felt he was not appreciated and thought he couldn't compete with all the attacking midfielders there. Di Maria chose to stay and fight for his spot, but they're different kinds of players. Overall, he's hardly someone you wouldn't like on any squad. Better to have this kinds of players than the over-muscled, overrated dross Brazil's midfield fielded (Luiz Gustavo, Fernandinho, Ramires, Paulinho).
    IMO playing in Real Madrid turned Ozil cautionary. He simply lacks confidence. But you are spot on with your mention of his work rate relative to his German teammates

He just doesn't take the same risks he did in 2010, he's not as aggressive in the Box.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    If only Ozil showed up in 2012 and 2013 vs Bayern and Dortmund.
    He leaves and we win the CL.

He can sick a duck

Thread Information