Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    In terms of overall talent, I don't think you can argue against Trout. However, that said, even though he probably will win the AL MVP, his season hasn't been all that great. He's hitting well under .300 and unless he goes on an absolute tear the last three weeks, he'll probably end up under .300. His strikeouts are way up. His steals (one of the arguments for him being the best player in the league) are way down. And for a second season in a row, he is posting a negative defensive WAR, another one of the reasons why he's been lauded as the best. Aside from HR and RBI, the rest of his metrics suggest he's nowhere near as good as he was the previous two seasons.

If I had an AL MVP vote, I'd vote for Trout. But part of that is because there aren't any other great candidates to choose from. Abreu and Victor Martinez have been clearly and better offensively, but don't offer much if anything in the field and both play on teams currently out of the playoff picture. Alex Gordon might have the only legitimate case against Trout since he's putting up "good" offensive numbers, has been stellar defensively, and his team is also leading their division, but he's not close to Trout imo.

If Trout posted this season's numbers in the previous 2 years, he probably isn't even in the AL MVP discussion. But for this season, there really are no better candidates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pelicans 78
    Alex Gordon
    Alex Gordon might have the only legitimate case against Trout since he's putting up "good" offensive numbers, has been stellar defensively, and his team is also leading their division, but he's not close to Trout imo.
    Are you guys trolling or is his defense otherworldly?
    Offensively he is like 40th+ in the big catagories.

76th in ave. Altho he is 37th in on base %
    43rd in HRs (tied with 10 players )
    56th in RBIs.

Runs scored he is 28th with 77.
    Last edited by MultiTroll; 09-08-2014 at 04:09 PM.

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Pelicans 78

Are you guys trolling or is his defense otherworldly?
    Offensively he is like 40th+ in the big catagories.

76th in ave. Altho he is 37th in on base %
    43rd in HRs (tied with 10 players )
    56th in RBIs.

Runs scored he is 28th with 77.
    Those are terrible stats to look at offensively. RBIs and runs scored are dependant on teammates. Those stats are outdated just like batting average. His OPS and OPS+ are very good and his defense is otherwordly this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RBIs and runs scored are dependant on teammates.
    Makes Trouts RBIs (1st) and runs scored (1st) very impressive. Batting from the 2 spot. For a good part of the season 3 Pujols and 4 Hamilton were cold.

Otherwise i agree with Jamstone. Trouts strikeouts are career worst and his average the last two months has been his worst months by spades. Keeping up the HRs tho Career best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those are terrible stats to look at offensively. RBIs and runs scored are dependant on teammates. Those stats are outdated just like batting average. His OPS and OPS+ are very good and his defense is otherwordly this season.
    .942 Trouty Trouts current OPS vs Gordons .792
    Gordons is very good. Trouts is elite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Trout posted this season's numbers in the previous 2 years, he probably isn't even in the AL MVP discussion. But for this season, there really are no better candidates.
    While true Trout keeps piling up the strikeouts and his ave stays around .285-.290, his power numbers from the #2 spot are excellent in any damn year.
    33 HRs make him 2nd place among non DH American Leaguers. 4th overall and just one behind the Cuban rookie at 34.
    105 RBIs 1st.
    105 runs 1st
    .942 OPS 3rd.
    *edit Trout just hit his second HR of the game in his 2nd at bat to put Jerred Weaver up 2-1.

In a year when it seems no blown up PED - steroid type stats are being posted, Trouts #s are excellent.
    Put it this way Jamstone, what other years has a player been 1st, 1st, 2nd and 3rd in these main catagories while playing excellent (fine, lower it to "very good" or even "good") defense? While there can still be some flip flopping in the remaining 15 games......
    Not many years i'm sure.
    Last edited by Fabbs; 09-13-2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Trout just dinged another

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Put it this way Jamstone, what other years has a player been 1st, 1st, 2nd and 3rd in these main catagories while playing excellent (fine, lower it to "very good" or even "good") defense? While there can still be some flip flopping in the remaining 15 games......
    Not many years i'm sure.
    Didn't say Trout's numbers aren't excellent. I said in the previous two years, he probably isn't in the AL MVP discussion (I'll amend it to not being in the AL MVP discussion nearly as much as he was if that makes it sound better). That was also before he took over the RBI lead in the AL. But my statement was specific to the previous two years. Remember, Chris Davis posted 53, 138, with a 1.004 OPS and Miggy had 44, 137, and a 1.078 OPS last season. In 2012, Miggy with 44, 139, and .999 OPS, Josh Hamilton with 43 and 128.

Even if Trout goes buckwild the last dozen or so games and puts up close to 40 and 120 and over .950 OPS, he's not 1st or 2nd in HR, RBI, or OPS the previous two seasons. For this season, he's the MVP. I already said that in an earlier post. I stand by my statement that the season he's having right now wouldn't merit as much AL MVP consideration as he got the previous two seasons. And while from the eye test, his defense is still good, metrics says it's not. And he's not stealing bases at the crazy rate he did the previous two years.

So the comment stands and seems pretty reasonable to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Put it this way Jamstone, what other years has a player been 1st, 1st, 2nd and 3rd in these main catagories while playing excellent (fine, lower it to "very good" or even "good") defense?
    Not many years i'm sure.
    I agree with your statements about Trout (and others including the very same Miggy and Hamilton, Chris Davis which we now know was obviously PED enhanced etc). Just seems like this year maybe the PED use is down. Regardless.....
    I'm bringing up the above stats meaning how one does as to other players in the same season.
    Im not expecting you to know, nor do i know here and now tonight were to find such an answer.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I agree with your statements about Trout (and others including the very same Miggy and Hamilton, Chris Davis which we now know was obviously PED enhanced etc). Just seems like this year maybe the PED use is down. Regardless.....
    I'm bringing up the above stats meaning how one does as to other players in the same season.
    Im not expecting you to know, nor do i know here and now tonight were to find such an answer.
    You quoted me as if to make a counterargument...

I don't know how many other times it has happened. Chris Davis did it last season and he's considered a pretty good defensive first baseman. Miggy obviously did it the previous year, but he was a well below average third baseman. I'd imagine A-Rod, Barry, and Ken Griffey had seasons where they were right there are close, whether you want to consider A-Rod and Barry due to their connections with PEDs, although A-Rod probably did it while in Texas when his link to PEDs may or may not have started yet. And didn't Vlad Guerrero have one of those seasons early on in his Angels career when he was still considered a good RFer?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You quoted me as if to make a counterargument...

I don't know how many other times it has happened. Chris Davis did it last season and he's considered a pretty good defensive first baseman. Miggy obviously did it the previous year, but he was a well below average third baseman. I'd imagine A-Rod, Barry, and Ken Griffey had seasons where they were right there are close, whether you want to consider A-Rod and Barry due to their connections with PEDs, although A-Rod probably did it while in Texas when his link to PEDs may or may not have started yet. And didn't Vlad Guerrero have one of those seasons early on in his Angels career when he was still considered a good RFer?
    Vlads best stat season was with Montreal around 2001 when he had like 45 / 123 .345 OPS of over 1000. Would not surprise me if it was enhanced since it was right in that era.

Bonds i do not recognize any of his records.
    A-Rod is such a proven liar, who knows. Texas could have been for real but who knows. Anything that comes out of his, Bonds or Clemons mouth re PEDs is suspect.

Miggys O stats in his MVP and near Triple Crown year has to be right up there in same year stat history.
    I think Trouts stats in relation to same year players is gonna be right up there.

Thread Information