My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thoughts?

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yes. If he isn't, he is right there at the very top. The dude is having a phenomenal season and the Angels are something like 24-9 since May 10th or something. He is a couple RBIs off the lead and apparently has arguably the best line with an OPS of 1.005. I believe he is 5th or 6th in HRs. You can make the argument that Cabrera is the better hitter but even this year's numbers do not support that claim as strongly as in year's past. He has valid protection in the form of a passable version of Pujols and Hamilton, sizzling play from Aybar and Calhoun. He would get my vote as the best player in baseball at the moment. He is also only 22 so imagine him when he actually gets this down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And even if Cabrera is the better hitter (a more than plausible assumption), Trout's defense tips the scale.

And he's only 22...

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Probably a great indication of how good this kid is how he cut the bases on his triple--the dude hit the break out of first and second faster than most especially for an exhibition game.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Can't wait until he forces a trade to the new Expos in a few years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Probably. As far as this season goes, Troy Tulowitzki probably the only other guy I'd put in the conversation. As far as all around player, it's either him or Andrew McCutchen. There are still other guys you might be able to make an argument for, like Adrian Beltre even at his age. I think Adam Jones is an underrated guy who is probably in the conversation as far as all around talent. But with Harper and Machado underwhelming this season, Trout doesn't really have much compe ion among the "younger" phenoms who have shined in the last few seasons. Yasiel Puig is the only other guy I can think of in terms of just overall talent. Based on this season, it's either Trout or Tulo.

Trout may always be a high strikeout guy and while he has a good arm in the outfield, I don't believe it's great, certainly not elite. Those are the two areas he could improve to make him even better. He's not the best hitter but he's among the best. He's not the best outfielder but he's among the best. And if he's not the best baserunner/basestealer, he certainly is up there among the best. So when you look at all of those things, no one should really put up too much of a fight at the notion he is the best.

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry Jam, but Troy Tulowitzki? Great hitter and great defense, possible MVP season, terrible baserunner. Mike Trout is the total package, a 5 tool player, but how can he be the best player in baseball right now? They Angels haven't won ; haven't done . Why do pitchers automatically get eliminated from the conversation? Baseball is so much of a team game, that the best player will never be applicable imo. The best team wins always. If you want to find the best player in something, watch Tennis or Golf.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Sorry Jam, but Troy Tulowitzki? Great hitter and great defense, possible MVP season, terrible baserunner. Mike Trout is the total package, a 5 tool player, but how can he be the best player in baseball right now? They Angels haven't won ; haven't done . Why do pitchers automatically get eliminated from the conversation? Baseball is so much of a team game, that the best player will never be applicable imo. The best team wins always. If you want to find the best player in something, watch Tennis or Golf.
    I don't think a player has to be a 5-tool guy to be considered the best player in the game. I mentioned Tulo as possibly the best player in the game, not a guy that has all 5 tools. The guys I mentioned as all around players with 5 tools other than Trout were McCutchen and Puig. What I was saying about Tulo was that other than Trout, he might be the best player in baseball. And again to my point about Trout being a 5-tool player, it's often suggested without consideration to his arm. His arm isn't anything special. He might be average or slightly above average at throwing, but I wouldn't put him in the class of a Puig or someone like Jeff Francoeur. If Trout's power, hitting, fielding, and speed are all A or A+ grades, his throwing is probably a B. Are baserunners afraid to run on him? Does he have the cannon and accuracy that really puts his arm in the elite category of outfielders? Now, but he's still called a 5-tool guy without even a hint of contention. Same with Tulo. He has 4 categories covered, but not baserunning or speed. Maybe his grade there is quite a bit lower, but all the same he grades high in 4 tools.

As far as Trout not winning yet, LeBron was considered the best player in basketball before he won . Team sport, winning and championships are team accomplishments. Being the best player doesn't necessarily require team success. You even said baseball is such a team sport and yet you eliminate Trout from being the best "player." Doesn't make sense.

I'm no Trout fan, but I have no issue calling him the best player in baseball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's Trout, but you guys think the Cuban rookies sample size is too small to put him in the conversation?

Puig has to learn how to run the bases.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to include pitchers imo. Therefore it'd be Kershaw. Otherwise I'd go with Trout or McCutchen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's Trout, but you guys think the Cuban rookies sample size is too small to put him in the conversation?

Puig has to learn how to run the bases.
    Rookie from the White Sox? He may be in two years or so. Puig is a ing joke.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Why do pitchers automatically get eliminated from the conversation?
    I've always wondered that too, it's like how goalies are pretty much never in the best NHL player conversation....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to include pitchers imo. Therefore it'd be Kershaw. Otherwise I'd go with Trout or McCutchen.
    mccutechen overated

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agreed.. overrated as tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mike Trout, Albert Pujols mock Fernando Rodney's arrow celebration
    http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/...ow-celebration

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeter wouldn't have done that Thought Mike Trout was classy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Originally Posted by Fabbs
    You still think Cubas sample size is too small? Or that he is doing it for non contender?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Originally Posted by Fabbs

You still think Cubas sample size is too small? Or that he is doing it for non contender?
    He's pretty good, buts its still to early. If he puts up big numbers for the next two seasons, then we'll talk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's pretty good, buts its still to early. If he puts up big numbers for the next two seasons, then we'll talk.
    Good point. I think he will continue to rock, but until he does....
    Just like Puig lit it up last season and now this season he doing pretty good compared to the averaga, but no where near "best player" convo.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't follow basball at all/none/zero and this is and will be the only time I've ever talked baseball on the internet (other than Cool Papa Bell, ha!) and I have heard of Mike Trout............for what it's worth.

thank you
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't follow basball at all/none/zero and this is and will be the only time I've ever talked baseball on the internet (other than Cool Papa Bell, ha!) and I have heard of Mike Trout............for what it's worth.
    shut up fatass

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Alex Gordon

Thread Information