Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought you were referring to his play in the NBA. Nonetheless, consider the compe ion and small size at work here. There's been plenty of examples of fringe NBA players playing out of their mind internationally and it not carrying over. Batista and Ayon are recent examples that come to mind.

He's a relatively low IQ player. I specifically said there's obviously more to protecting the rim than blocks, but you acted as if he was a shot blocker, which is just not true at all.

Maybe so (though unless you have data that suggests the team rebounds better with him on the court, it can't be said with any certainty), but he was touted as an excellent rebounder and in reality, he's merely solid.

No, you're talking out of your ass because of your bizarre obsession with a clear fringe player. There's a reason he hasn't been asked to defend stretch fours.
    I don't think he is very intelligent. At the same time I don't think he is slow to react and is coachable. His rotations to cut off middle penetration were late and he would end up fouling. He improved on that significantly as the season wore on. Splitter used to have the same issue.

I made no comment as to him being a a shot blocker. I see him make rotations to cut off penetration that work and that is pretty the crux of my argument because it is what I see when I watch him play.

He hasn't been asked to defend on the perimeter because he is 270 lbs. You have a marked inability to actually discuss play and grandstand on stats. I don't feel like looking the ones you conjured up either but it's nice to know that you are satisfied with inferior stats in your statistical analysis.

He's a prospect in the Spurs organization that has been extended a QO. They want to retain his services. There is nothing strange or obsessive in my interest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    extending the QO is them making the decision, imo
    I think it's just them delaying action, like they did with Neal. If they definitely wanted him, they'd give him a deal like the Wizards gave to Humphries. If they definitely didn't want him, they'd've not extended the offer. Honestly, they should sign him to a two-year deal with a team option. That would pay him more this season, while allowing the team to both have flexibility next off-season and to keep Baynes' Bird rights and RFA status should they want to re-sign him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is searching for an offer around $1.5 million Euros

that's equal to $1.98 million dollars

the Spurs QA is $1.1 million

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ign-With-Spurs
    Last edited by cd021; 08-24-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's nothing saying he got an offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's nothing saying he got an offer.
    My mistake, I misread. He is searching for an offer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So basically, he wants the same as what Ayres is getting? If so, that is pretty much what I thought he wanted all along. I wonder if he outplays Ayres in practice and thinks he's worth at least as much as Ayres. I hope he's not thinking that, because Ayres is overpaid.

Personally, I'd be willing to give him a 400-500K raise (if the qualifying offer is 1.1 million) and tell him that's the max, take it or leave it.

Do you think the Spurs will move on if he takes too long on to decide on the qualifying offer? If it gets to the point where they can't afford to wait any longer for his decision, you think they'll inform him before doing so to give him a choice/chance to resign before cutting ties with him? I wonder how the did the qualifying offer with Neal?
    Last edited by Ice009; 08-24-2014 at 11:27 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's Errors money. If the Spurs end up paying Jeff "I literally cannot play basketball" Errors that but not Baynes.....wow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So basically, he wants the same as what Ayres is getting? If so, that is pretty much what I thought he wanted all along. I wonder if he outplays Ayres in practice and thinks he's worth at least as much as Ayres. I hope he's not thinking that, because Ayres is overpaid.

Personally, I'd be willing to give him a 400-500K raise (if the qualifying offer is 1.1 million) and tell him that's the max, take it or leave it.

Do you think the Spurs will move on if he takes too long on to decide on the qualifying offer? If it gets to the point where they can't afford to wait any longer for his decision, you think they'll inform him before doing so to give him a choice/chance to resign before cutting ties with him? I wonder how the did the qualifying offer with Neal?
    The Spurs can't rescind the offer ,as far as I know. The Spurs have no incentive to offer more than $1.1 million.

As far as NBA options go, if he wants to continue his NBA career then he has take the QA or seek out an offer from another team.

I don't think the Spurs are all that interested in bringing him back for more than the QA or for multiple years guaranteed.

There are still better options at center on the open market in Blatche and Okafor (granted he is healthy)

Its really all on Baynes. If he wants to return then he can take the QA and work to become the 4th big man off the bench. He can then capitalize his play after next season when he hits restricted free agency again.
    Last edited by cd021; 08-25-2014 at 12:34 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes is in the unenviable position of having to play behind two legit centers.

Splitter has been able to play alongside Duncan because of his mobility, and alongside Diaw because of the lack of overlap in their offensive game. Baynes doesn't have the same mobility that Splitter does (which impacts his ability to play alongside Duncan), and he and Splitter occupy too much of the same areas offensively for that to be a good fit. I'm not sure if Baynes can successfully see minutes alongside Duncan or Splitter, which limits the lineups he can be played in.

If Baynes can't show that he can successfully play alongside Duncan or Splitter, his best-case scenario (outside of the inevitable rest games) is about 16-18 minutes at backup center when Duncan-Splitter start. That assumes, however, that Pop doesn't play Splitter-Diaw together much.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't know if Baynes will have a lot of opportunities this coming season to show that he deserves a sizeable raise.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. Don't even know where to start with this. Teams can make mistakes, but there is VERY little likelihood that EVERY other team would make the same mistake on one player.
    Danny Green says hi.

I also don't know HOW you go from "match anything reasonable" to "match ANYTHING" with nothing in between. Those don't mean the same, AT ALL. Teams know what the Spurs pay to deep bench (#12-15) guys. Come in above that, maybe between $2-3M, and he's likely yours, especially on a multi year deal. Plenty of teams had that kind of money this summer.
    That's the whole point. Baynes is a $2m player who's getting offered $1m. Everybody knows that anything between $1.5m and $2m would be a reasonable price for Baynes, and that the Spurs would likely match. And that's Baynes' problem right there: no team will bother making a reasonable offer because of what the Spurs said; and no team is going to pay him over $2m because he's an end of the bench player. Therefore the Spurs, by saying they'd match any reasonable offer, have put him in the perfect situation to be lowballed. Of course one can see it as a smart move by the PATFO, but a FO's job is also to keep players relatively happy.

In the end we're talking about $500k and seeing how the Spurs can throw that at vague prospects, I don't see the point in not paying this guy and be done with it. Usually the Spurs don't necessarily try to reach the best deal ever, they try to re-sign their players quickly and without hassle, to a deal that makes everybody happy.

The fact that the Spurs gave him the minimum offer possible, and the fact that he didn't sign it, both combine to make me quite pessimistic about his return. Obviously the Spurs don't care for him enough to raise his salary by $500k or so, and he doesn't care enough about playing for the Spurs to take a discount right away (as others have done in the past).

In the grand scheme of things it probably won't matter much one way or another. I'm just bitter we're stuck with Ayres for $1.75m, a player who's shown he's totally useless at the NBA level. Actually if Ayres wasn't under contract with the Spurs, I'd guess Baynes would have signed the QO by now (or that the FO would have been ready to pay him a bit more).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol bitter about a $1.75 million player

spurfan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol bitter about a $1.75 million player

spurfan
    If Ayres weren't here, they'd be ing about Baynes' money and play.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Christmas troll still trying to derail the thread with his incessant ing.

How pathetic that he presents himself as a 'decent poster' but s up threads as badly as the trolls he constantly rails against.
    Then shut the up and stay on topic, or get the out of here, if all you want to do is puke up lying slanderous diarrhea, you inconsequential lying sick re ed little punk troll.
    You got it now, troll? Then off with your lies.
    ________

On topic: I still think he will sign with the Spurs, and after all is said and done, the Spurs might extend it for another year as well, but since he has gotten no other bites that we have heard of yet, they are not that far apart and are probably still negotiating.
    And even if the Spurs refuse to budge, they should be able to replace him easily enough after training camp with another teams reject.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes wanting more playing time might be a bigger issue than the money difference however, and one the Spurs may not be able to accommodate him with.
    For the most part he is already either a situational player (enforcer) and at the end of the bench at that if last year is any indication.
    Unless he can get a European team to bite on him I think the Spurs are still sitting in the drivers seat.
    And even if he gets a European offer, I doubt the Spurs match.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then shut the up and stay on topic, or get the out of here, if all you want to do is puke up lying slanderous diarrhea, you inconsequential lying sick re ed little punk troll.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ChumpDumper;7566035].
    Same applies to you.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boom. Face.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, the irony of Christmas troll telling someone to stay on topic after derailing the thread to about something completely off-topic:
    Hey, remember how downstairs you were humiliated about making a huge dogma blunder, about you making up lies about meds, bitterness, and contests?
    That was, and is pretty funny.
    Then denying that he was posting in the first place.

By the way, 4/10 on the meltdown - overuse of the word lying. Consult a thesaurus for more creative insults, Christmas troll.

Back on Baynes - the most unfortunate part of this situation is that Duncan is indirectly responsible for Baynes not getting a bigger offer from the Spurs, IMO. His role as the backup center would probably be cemented if Duncan had chosen to retire after this past season.

Not that I'm saying Duncan should have hung it up, mind you. Baynes is just highly unlikely to get paid more than a 5th big when there are clearly two better centers on the roster than he is.
    Last edited by anakha; 08-25-2014 at 09:39 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same applies to you.
    Oh, I'm sure your meltdown applies to me.

And I'm sure you'll go off topic again like the troll you are.

Prove me right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, the irony of Christmas troll telling someone to stay on topic after derailing the thread to about something completely off-topic. Then denying that he was posting in the first place.

By the way, 4/10 on the meltdown - overuse of the word lying. Consult a thesaurus for more creative insults, Christmas troll.

Back on Baynes - the most unfortunate part of this situation is that Duncan is indirectly responsible for Baynes not getting a bigger offer from the Spurs, IMO. His role as the backup center would probably be cemented if Duncan had chosen to retire after this past season.

Not that I'm saying Duncan should have hung it up, mind you. Baynes is just highly unlikely to get paid more than a 5th big when there are clearly two better centers on the roster than he is.
    I agree. People about Ayres, but he is a 4 so he has a role for himself.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, the irony of Christmas troll telling someone to stay on topic after derailing the thread to about something completely off-topic:Then denying that he was posting in the first place.
    Oh, I'm sure your meltdown applies to me.And I'm sure you'll go off topic again like the troll you are.Prove me right.
    Talk to the hand, both of you, or quit derailing the thread.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think he will sign with the Spurs, and after all is said and done, the Spurs might extend it for another year as well, but since he has gotten no other bites that we have heard of yet, they are not that far apart and are probably still negotiating.
    And even if the Spurs refuse to budge, they should be able to replace him easily enough after training camp with another teams reject.

Baynes wanting more playing time might be a bigger issue than the money difference however, and one the Spurs may not be able to accommodate him with.
    For the most part he is already either a situational player (enforcer) and at the end of the bench at that if last year is any indication.
    Unless he can get a European team to bite on him I think the Spurs are still sitting in the drivers seat.
    And even if he gets a European offer, I doubt the Spurs match.

^^^

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read today that if he doesn't sign by 1 October, the Spurs can withdraw the QO AND he remains restricted.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read today that if he doesn't sign by 1 October, the Spurs can withdraw the QO AND he remains restricted.
    Yeah, I read that somewhere too.

Thread Information