Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think training camp is deadline. cowboys if he gets higher offers now due to his play he can force spurs hand or else he goes to another team with better contract

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think training camp is deadline. cowboys if he gets higher offers now due to his play he can force spurs hand or else he goes to another team with better contract
    I they'll let him go if he gets anything much more than the QO. I'd put the ceiling at $2M, and they might not even match that if it's multi-year. He's not a real prospect, and I think the Spurs, while determined to bring the band back, aren't in love with him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe we're going to keep Errors and let Baynes walk... that would be incredibly dumb.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe we're going to keep Errors and let Baynes walk... that would be incredibly dumb.
    That's what I think too. At least Baynes can be an enforcer out there too (if needed). I also like him being able to play some minutes on other bigs like Dwight Howard, Steven Adams etc. An example is Tony Massenburg, I would have loved to have had Tony Massenburg back in 2006, I think he would have been great in the Dallas series to rough some people up when the refs were calling touch fouls, left, right and center. IMO I think the Spurs really did lack an enforcer on that 2006 team. I think they've lacked a good enforcer for a long time.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurstalk meme. Ayres PER was 11.1. Bayne's was 9.7. Aron really isn't any better than 'Errors'.
    Sorry but this tiny difference in PER doesn't pass the eye test, especially when you consider the guy with higher PER is playing even more garbage minutes than the other.

As others have mentioned, I can remember some times when Baynes entered the game in the playoffs and it made a difference (esp. against OKC). I can't even remember Ayres on the court in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every other screen Ayres sets is an illegal screen.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point the Spurs are probably holding onto Ayres as a potential expiring contract for a midseason trade. His contract is guaranteed anyway so there's no point in cutting him. The last roster spot is open in case Cotton or Green wows in the preseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do not want to lose the Big Banger ...

Believe.
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    14pts & 12rebs in a win over the Ukraine

http://www.basketball.net.au/broekho...s-ukraine-win/

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure how a QO works: could a player sign one while being injured? Or is it automatically rescinded if said player gets injured?

Otherwise it'd make sense for him to play for his NT to try to get a better contract, and even if injured he could always sign the QO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not worried about another NBA team picking him up, I'm worried that some damn euro team will, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure how a QO works: could a player sign one while being injured? Or is it automatically rescinded if said player gets injured?

Otherwise it'd make sense for him to play for his NT to try to get a better contract, and even if injured he could always sign the QO.
    I would think that since it puts the Spurs on a guarantee hook, he would have to get insurance, or that they could rescind in case of injury.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is he even on our team?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love Aron back... any news on this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He appears to be removed from the roster on Wikipedia... Whatever that means.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He appears to be removed from the roster on Wikipedia... Whatever that means.
    Probably means his camp appearance and exhibition play without signing was a bluff. I think he either signs the QO now, or drops off the Aussie team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not on the roster because technically he's not under contract. Because he's restricted, Baynes needs to earn an offer sheet from another team to present to the Spurs to see if they would match. The Spurs have said they would match any reasonable offer. Most teams aren't going to waste their time making him an offer sheet knowing the Spurs will probably match. That's the disadvantage of being restricted. It's up to Baynes to get an offer before the Spurs will begin negotiating. The same is true for most RFA's like Monroe, Bledsoe, and others. If Baynes were unrestricted, it would be a completely different story. He would be attractive to a lot of teams. Most likely he will sign the QO and play the next season then become an unrestricted FA. The QO is available up until the start of training camp but the Spurs can extend it to a later date if they wish. Unless he has a breakout MVP performance in the world cup, I don't see any other teams making him an offer that wouldn't be matched by the Spurs. It would be risky for Baynes to let the QO deadline pass since most other teams already have their rosters set by training camp and won't be looking to add anymore sizable contracts. It would be very surprising if he didn't take the QO since he won a championship with us and is very familiar with our system and all the players. There's no way he would want to go to another team that he doesn't know and probably won't be as successful as the Spurs. It's just a smart business move for him to wait and see if a decent offer comes his way. I'm not concerned about him leaving. I'm confident he'll be on the roster next season.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not on the team currently. All he has to do is take the qualifying offer or sign an offer sheet with another team. It is possible he has a deal worked out in principle but the nba team doesn't want to sign him while he is playing fiba.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes just punked the French team right now. Easily Australia's best player of the match. 21 points and 9 rebounds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes just punked the French team right now. Easily Australia's best player of the match. 21 points and 9 rebounds.
    It'll be a real shame if we don't sign him and we're stuck with The got Duo of Daye and Ayres.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll be a real shame if we don't sign him and we're stuck with The got Duo of Daye and Ayres.
    True.

He probably knows he's coming back, already discussed with FO and playing with his country with no worries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That can only end up being a good thing.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes is a good player. He needs time.

Whether with the Spurs or someone else, you'll see.

Believe.
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    He's emerged as a leader on the Australian squad, especially with Bogut out. It's been good to see tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said, I'm sure one of the Spurs players/coaches mentioned that he makes all/most of his shots in practice/scrimmage but seems to rush them in games. He just needs court time and learn to slow down a little bit out there.

I have no idea what the Spurs FO are doing if they let him walk and keep Ayres.

If they're trying to get someone else with that last roster spot, I'd still cut Ayres and sign Baynes to that spot any day of the week. If they're trying to get him cheap for the QO and don't want to pay him a cent more, then that might be backfiring on them as his stock seems to be rising playing for Australia. He's played well in every game so far. Can't they just give him a slight raise? Also, how much is the qualifying offer in comparison to what he made last season? Is it a higher amount?

Thread Information