Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The standard of living is a lot more expensive in California compared to Texas.
    I think you mean cost of living/basket of goods

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So then, why would the contract be LESS in Texas if the COL is higher in California?
    He's saying 30k in San Antonio gets you a lot more than 30k in the Bay Area.

His numbers may be off but the point is valid.

I know as far as state income tax these guys are charged by every state they play in so that may not be a great factor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously. I don't care who else gets max contracts throughout the league. Kawhi is simply quality role player and should be paid like one. This max contract talk is absurd.

Glad the Spurs have enough sense to see it too. As Shaq said on TNT after last game vs the Mavs: "It doesn't matter who plays for the Spurs, it's how they play, not who they play."
    bs

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marc Cuban could offer him a Chandler Parsons type of contract. 2 years at max with the last year
    as a players option. That means he is a free agent after 2 years with no compensation to the Spurs.
    They are rolling the dice on him but did the Spurs see something in him like tender knees that make him
    a risk for a full max ride?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I know as far as state income tax these guys are charged by every state they play in so that may not be a great factor.
    So than a 17 million contract in California would be 20-25 million in Texas.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who can cancel out LeBron James on both sides of the floor for three straight games in the NBA finals deserves a max contract.

That is why Spurs won, without Kwahi awakening his inner beast, Spurs would have suffered a Utah Jazz 1998 ending, replace anyone except Stockton and Malone on that Jazz team with Kwahi, they would have ringed.

You need raw physical energy to win a championship, the system gets you there, but pure talent gets you over the hump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

... which means the value of a contract goes UP if it is in Texas. Not down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marc Cuban could offer him a Chandler Parsons type of contract. 2 years at max with the last year
    as a players option. That means he is a free agent after 2 years with no compensation to the Spurs.

They are rolling the dice on him but did the Spurs see something in him like tender knees that make him
    a risk for a full max ride?
    Only if Kawhi sign the offer sheet

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's like saying he can drive a Honda instead of a Mercedes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only real fear is a parsons like deal. The spurs would match it anyway but he'd become UFA faster

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only real fear is a parsons like deal. The spurs would match it anyway but he'd become UFA faster
    The Spurs can prevent that scenario unilaterally. They just can't do that while also using cap space next summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs can prevent that scenario unilaterally. They just can't do that while also using cap space next summer.
    Yeah pretty much. If Manu and Tim announce their return, the spurs will just give Kawhi a full max offer and keep everybody with bird rights

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah pretty much. If Manu and Tim announce their return, the spurs will just give Kawhi a full max offer and keep everybody with bird rights
    Even in that scenario, he can still sign a three year offer sheet. The max QO just prevents a 2+1.

It would be interesting to know what sort of extension, if any, the Spurs actually offered. If they really value cap space as much as many here suspect, they weren't in position to make a really serious offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even in that scenario, he can still sign a three year offer sheet. The max QO just prevents a 2+1.

It would be interesting to know what sort of extension, if any, the Spurs actually offered. If they really value cap space as much as many here suspect, they weren't in position to make a really serious offer.
    And they probably told him that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And they probably told him that.
    That what I suspect as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well technically anythin more than his cap hold would cut into cap room, but I'm certain they would be willing to give up some cap room this offseason if he agreed to a long term discount. Neither side has enough incentive to cave in though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well technically anythin more than his cap hold would cut into cap room, but I'm certain they would be willing to give up some cap room this offseason if he agreed to a long term discount. Neither side has enough incentive to cave in though
    Yeah, but any offer that a reasonable observer would consider serious would be much, much closer to the max than to his cap hold. If the team is intent on keeping enough cap space to pursue a major free agent next summer, then they couldn't make any sort of reasonable offer to Leonard.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thompson's extension at 4 years $70 million... at this point Leonard is going to get paid no matter what.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. $17 million in Texas gives you the same purchasing power as $25 million in California.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is saying that 17 million goes as far in California as 12-13 does in Texas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole tax situation is overplayed, tbh... yes, it's a few extra millions but not as much as people make it out to be. Don't forget that players do pay state income taxes for games they play on the road (in other states, at each state's tax rate). There was an article not that long ago explaining the whole thing. The gains were, relatively speaking, fairly minor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole tax situation is overplayed, tbh... yes, it's a few extra millions but not as much as people make it out to be. Don't forget that players do pay state income taxes for games they play on the road (in other states, at each state's tax rate).
    But 95 degrees and 200% humidity + Whataburger in San Antonio is just as desirable as 70 degrees, world class restaurants, bars, and clubs in San Francisco.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But 95 degrees and 200% humidity + Whataburger in San Antonio is just as desirable as 70 degrees, world class restaurants, bars, and clubs in San Francisco.
    yeah, it's more complex than just taxes... there's endorsement opportunities, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, it's more complex than just taxes... there's endorsement opportunities, etc.
    Fat Mexicans with 6 kids vs hot Cali es too tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole tax situation is overplayed, tbh... yes, it's a few extra millions but not as much as people make it out to be. Don't forget that players do pay state income taxes for games they play on the road (in other states, at each state's tax rate). There was an article not that long ago explaining the whole thing. The gains were, relatively speaking, fairly minor.
    I didn't know that part. The difference is probably minor, but the difference between the two teams is probably about as much as it can be since SPurs play more games against two other texas teams and warriors play more games against 3 california teams plus all the home games. Probably comes out to a little over 1 million dollars on a 17 mil contract.

Thread Information