Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I give the movie a B, 8.5. I thought the relationships between the characters felt weak. Most of the characters had little depth. The story was cool but I would've liked Nolan to explain in more depth how and why there was dust storms at that frequency. Also who and why placed the black hole near his house? The ending explains some future beings but who were they and why did they have a vested interest in helping out? Maybe I missed those parts idunno.

Visually the movie was stunning the the all important story and character building aspects fell short for me. It's too bad because I like Nolan's movies a lot and expected an all-time great movie, which it wasn't.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Felt like Contact 2 with better visuals.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    So Cooper only spent like 10 minutes in that dimension portal so in real time, it was 90 years? With that time gone by, all of that stuff had been discovered and built?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    So Cooper only spent like 10 minutes in that dimension portal so in real time, it was 90 years? With that time gone by, all of that stuff had been discovered and built?
    Time does not exist really inside the tesseract. The idea is that outside of the four dimensions we know, you experience time differently...or you aren't governed or restricted by it. When he was in the tesseract he was able to view Murph's entire lifespan basically as a bird's eye view of time, whereas we experience time in a more linear fashion.
    Last edited by Findog; 11-17-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Okay so in the end Cooper can only send the message to Murph because of the technology of the Tesseract, but the technology is only obtained by his message, so it's a chicken or the egg sort of paradox as to what came first. So there were two timelines. What we see in the movie are the events that happen in the second timeline. The first timeline takes place off screen.

First Timeline:

Much of what happens in the second timeline also happens in the first timeline. The wormhole opens. Mann, Brand and Cooper work on the Lazarus Project. Just as it happened in the second timeline, Brand and Cooper are in the same position after visiting Mann's ice planet, and so Cooper sacrifices himself in Gargantua so that Brand can escape to the desert planet to start the colony. Brand ins utes Plan B on the desert world. Those people go on to evolve into Humanity's future, with a stable Black Hole to guide their sciences. They evolve to work in the 5th dimension, and decide they want to save their ancestors. THEY find Cooper in Gargantua and create the Tesseract for him. Remember at the beginning of the movie where Cooper is dreaming about his doomed training mission that caused him to leave NASA? Well in the first timeline he never crashes. He never leaves NASA, thus he never gets married and starts a family. He goes on the Lazarus Project without any familial attachments. They initiate their original gravity burst to down Cooper's training flight for the original Lazarus mission. This leads Cooper to leave the program, marry someone, and have children. This change creates a second timeline, and creates Murph, key to their plan.

Second Timeline:

This is what we see in the movie. THEY cannot interact with Murph, because she did not exist in their original timeline, so they use Cooper in the Tesseract to communicate with her, via love and gravity. His purpose here is two-fold: to guide himself back to Lazarus after THEY diverted him and to bring Murph into Lazarus, to fulfill the promise of Brand's Plan A. The message with the coordinates leading to the secret NASA facility leads to Cooper rejoining Lazarus just as before and in the process it realigns his second timeline with his first. Once in the Tesseract again (or the same original time due to 5th dimension mechanics) he relays the TARS data to Murph and she makes Plan A a reality. Cooper Station lifts off as a sort of galactic Noah's Ark, and begins it's slow trek towards the Wormhole.

Cooper is released from the Tesseract, and recovered on Cooper Station just outside Saturn for a final reunion with Murph before she dies. He then leaves in a ship to rejoin Brand on the desert planet, knowing that because of time dilation not nearly as much time has passed for her locally. Cooper and Brand create the second age of Humanity, those that will become THEY as they wait for the survivors of Earth to reach them in their slow gravity ship that is Cooper Station.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    No, while the ship was using Gargantua to slingshot Brand to the next planet, the same effect of time slowing down affected them. Cooper even says something to Brand to the effect of "This move is gonna cost us 60 years" or somesuch.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I agree with a pretty much all of this. Nolan has always been ty at editing.

It was overly sentimental, the plot was disorganized, and way too much ing exposition.
    Also, aside from childhood Murph, did anyone give a about any of the other characters? When the brotha was killed I was relieved that the robot actually survived when he came running out. The guy that was killed by the 100ft tidal wave deserved to die. Who the drag asses in the face of something so dangerous. I went to see it again and this is his worst film without a doubt. Nolan fanbois will suck his even if he filmed ants playing hop scotch... but oh well.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Also, aside from childhood Murph, did anyone give a about any of the other characters? When the brotha was killed I was relieved that the robot actually survived when he came running out. The guy that was killed by the 100ft tidal wave deserved to die. Who the drag asses in the face of something so dangerous. I went to see it again and this is his worst film without a doubt. Nolan fanbois will suck his even if he filmed ants playing hop scotch... but oh well.
    Yeah, I didn't care for any of the supporting characters other than young Murph. Chastain, Caine, Damon, and Hathaway were all pretty boring, and their motives seemed really forced. Nolan is weak at portraying character's emotions and relationships with each other. Then Grace and Affleck were pointless.

We have a movie about the future of humanity... human nature v science, and you start talking about love? I wanted the tidal wave to kill everyone at that point.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Okay so in the end Cooper can only send the message to Murph because of the technology of the Tesseract, but the technology is only obtained by his message, so it's a chicken or the egg sort of paradox as to what came first. So there were two timelines. What we see in the movie are the events that happen in the second timeline. The first timeline takes place off screen.

First Timeline:

Much of what happens in the second timeline also happens in the first timeline. The wormhole opens. Mann, Brand and Cooper work on the Lazarus Project. Just as it happened in the second timeline, Brand and Cooper are in the same position after visiting Mann's ice planet, and so Cooper sacrifices himself in Gargantua so that Brand can escape to the desert planet to start the colony. Brand ins utes Plan B on the desert world. Those people go on to evolve into Humanity's future, with a stable Black Hole to guide their sciences. They evolve to work in the 5th dimension, and decide they want to save their ancestors. THEY find Cooper in Gargantua and create the Tesseract for him. Remember at the beginning of the movie where Cooper is dreaming about his doomed training mission that caused him to leave NASA? Well in the first timeline he never crashes. He never leaves NASA, thus he never gets married and starts a family. He goes on the Lazarus Project without any familial attachments. They initiate their original gravity burst to down Cooper's training flight for the original Lazarus mission. This leads Cooper to leave the program, marry someone, and have children. This change creates a second timeline, and creates Murph, key to their plan.

Second Timeline:

This is what we see in the movie. THEY cannot interact with Murph, because she did not exist in their original timeline, so they use Cooper in the Tesseract to communicate with her, via love and gravity. His purpose here is two-fold: to guide himself back to Lazarus after THEY diverted him and to bring Murph into Lazarus, to fulfill the promise of Brand's Plan A. The message with the coordinates leading to the secret NASA facility leads to Cooper rejoining Lazarus just as before and in the process it realigns his second timeline with his first. Once in the Tesseract again (or the same original time due to 5th dimension mechanics) he relays the TARS data to Murph and she makes Plan A a reality. Cooper Station lifts off as a sort of galactic Noah's Ark, and begins it's slow trek towards the Wormhole.

Cooper is released from the Tesseract, and recovered on Cooper Station just outside Saturn for a final reunion with Murph before she dies. He then leaves in a ship to rejoin Brand on the desert planet, knowing that because of time dilation not nearly as much time has passed for her locally. Cooper and Brand create the second age of Humanity, those that will become THEY as they wait for the survivors of Earth to reach them in their slow gravity ship that is Cooper Station.
    Awesome take, tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah, I didn't care for any of the supporting characters other than young Murph. Chastain, Caine, Damon, and Hathaway were all pretty boring, and their motives seemed really forced. Nolan is weak at portraying character's emotions and relationships with each other. Then Grace and Affleck were pointless.

We have a movie about the future of humanity... human nature v science, and you start talking about love? I wanted the tidal wave to kill everyone at that point.
    All of humanity died in the movie, tbh, although it was merely implied. Those who created the 'Tesseract' and the gigantic wormhole near Saturn were the descendants of humanity, who decided 10 billion years from the future to save their ancestors. Findog actually explained this extremely well.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Watched the movie without much expectations the other day. Came out pleasantly surprised with the output. However this was very unlike Nolan because most of the cast like Topher, Casey, Caine and Matt Damon were out of character. They looked out of sync the whole movie. The Donald character though limited was great. Chastain was the only saving grace tbh. BTW Ann Hathaway looked 40 in this movie. McConaughey was alright but Nolan could've gotten better.

Didn't feel long, but Nolan could've trimmed the movie by 10-20 min though.

36/7/7
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    Sitting in that theatre for the entire 3 hours was ridiculous.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Matt Damon wouldn't shut up, would he? I guess that's a side effect of being alone for decades.

The soundtrack was amazing, and the scene where Cooper tries to reconnect to Endurance was jaw dropping. I hope more films get filmed with those IMAX cameras, because movies are so much better in IMAX.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just saw this last night. Fantastic stuff. The "love binding" part was pretty hokey, but other than that, great hard sci-fi, nice mix of dystopian and optimistic elements.

The first time you see that 800ft+ high wave... wow.

36/7/7
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    Matt Damon wouldn't shut up, would he? I guess that's a side effect of being alone for decades.

The soundtrack was amazing, and the scene where Cooper tries to reconnect to Endurance was jaw dropping. I hope more films get filmed with those IMAX cameras, because movies are so much better in IMAX.
    Switching between the 2.35:1 aspect ratio to 16:9 is annoying though

CubanSucksSuperFunTimeGo! Pauly D's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Jersey Nets
    What a ing awesome movie. The score was perfect. The only complaint was Damon's character. He himself was a distraction casting wise but his character was also just kind of a dud.

When they came back from that planet after 20 yrs....damn

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This was one of the best movies, all things considered (plot, acting, visuals, ambition), that I have seen in a long, long time.

CubanSucksSuperFunTimeGo! Pauly D's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Jersey Nets

this right here. So simple but I can't stop listening. Especially the last third, the transition from him leaving his daughter to the rocket launching. ing beautiful. That got me, the returning from the first planet and seeing his kids grown, and then the end:

"How'd you know?"

"Because my dad promised me."

me

Chastain was the only saving grace tbh. BTW Ann Hathaway looked 40 in this movie. McConaughey was alright but Nolan could've gotten better.
    wtf? McC KILLED it. Chastain was awesome too but not as much room for her to do the Oscar stuff as McC. That mother er had me tearing up twice.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    I was along for the ride until we got the Matt Damon Bad astronaut stuff. Completely took me out of the movie. Then Nolan decides like he always does to change the ground rules as the movie goes along(usually a few times in the last 40 minutes or so). THIS is the narrative and the universe we're in...but now i'm going to give you THIS...so that other stuff i pretentiously sold you on now means THIS so that i can take the audience HERE instead of where they thought it was going

He did the same in Inception. Brilliant imagination as a writer/director, but it's so convoluted and pretentious.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Glad I saw it at the Bullock Museum IMAX. Makes a good movie an event.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I finally caught this one the other night on a 4K screen. I held off on seeing it, mainly because I've been busy but also the trailers weren't doing it for me.

Glad I did catch it though on the big screen. I see so many people on Nolan's third acts, Interstellar included, but I had more of a problem with the beginning. The first third felt sloppy and wonky to me, hard to explain. Perhaps it was the writing or directing, but I had some eye rolling moments. Then I slowly started to really dig the movie, warts and all. Ironically I really enjoyed it once Damon shows up, which is a divisive moment for some. The mind ending was really cool with me as well, similar to 2001's ending in ways.

But this doesn't hold a candle to 2001, which is pure cinema to me. Still overall I liked it, perhaps even more than Inception. Both films had too much exposition which I don't like about Nolan but it felt more streamlined in this. I'll admit the science went over my head, even Nolan said he didn't really get it, but it's more about the emotional journey, so I think it actually worked in that sense more than Inception.

Also, I had no problems with the sound mix. There were some things I couldn't hear but nothing major. I also think this is some of Zimmer's best work since Thin Red Line, which I've owned that soundtrack for years and I know Nolan is a big fan as well.

Overall I'd give Interstellar 4 out of 5 stars.

I need to check it out at the Bullock Museum, it looks like it will be gone by the 28th of December. I've seen Dark Knight, Inception and Dark Knight Rises there so gotta keep up tradition.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I thought the sound was off at first, but I saw that pretty much everything drowned out was repeated at some point. Made me pay more attention tbh. The actual music was better integrated into the film overall compared to other Nolan movies.

A agree the pacing was weird in the first act, and if they skimped on the budget anywhere it seemed to be there.

There were some plot contrivances that could be annoying if you wanted to be a about it, but it's not a movie to go that deep into imo. It's somewhere between 2001 and 2010 on that type of scale.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I loved the beginning, even though it's a bit slow. It completely catches you off-guard. Doesn't feel at all like a sci-fi movie, but it uses the overwhelming sense of isolation to craft the universe and the plight of humanity.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How movies embraced Hinduism (without you even noticing)

Interstellar’s box office total is $622,932,412 and counting.

It is the eighth highest-grossing film of the year and has spawned an endless raft of thinkpieces testing the validity of its science and applauding the innovation of its philosophy.

But it is not so new.

The idea that propels the plot – there is a universal super-consciousness that transcends time and space, and in which all human life is connected – has been around for about 3,000 years.

It is Vedic.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/dec/25/movies-embraced-hinduism

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    thought it was pretty good but seemed like he added an ending after what should have been the real ending 7.5/10. Vastly inferior to Gravity.

Thread Information