Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Coming to Brooks city base. Just saw it this afternoon on the billboard.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Coming to Brooks city base. Just saw it this afternoon on the billboard.
    I saw that yesterday. all I could say was yeah, now i'm gonna be broke.
    I hope it's open before Christmas.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have spent hours there.I actually lose track of time and space.

Best damn store period!

Give Peace a Chance....Imagine? ZStomp's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    WTF

BuddyHolly...I mean The Writer....I mean BadlyBrawnBoy didn't beat you to it!

Name
    Josh
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I have been to the Best Buy across from the North Star Mall . I met Malik in there too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is old news and the best damn store period is CABELA'S.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Best Buy sucks donkey balls.

Name
    Josh
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Best Buy sucks donkey balls.
    Not really

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is old news and the best damn store period is CABELA'S.
    Dude, you know thats not a house, right. Cabela is not a maddam. If you are into doing fish and deer, that is a place for you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not really
    Okay, what's good about them? I used to work there while I was still in college.

Let's see... you've got the whole bait and switch thing (advertising a special, only having 5 in stock, then trying to talk everyone into upgrades).

You've got the post-Thanksgiving sales on computers/laptops where they force shoppers to go with the Geek Squad Anti-Virus installations and software buys in order to get the deal.

They don't honor coupons that they send to customers through email, and the moment you threaten to call the BBB, or mention the magical word 'fraud', they throw you out of the story like you got caught shoplifting.

They pay their salespeople jack , while the managers make phat commission off of bull warranty sales, and threaten said salespeople with a reduction in hours unless they shill the extended warranties and accessories marked up 3000%.

Like I said, the place sucks donkey balls. Show me something you want at WorstBuy, and I'll find it for you cheaper.

Take for example cables. Go to Altex and you can pick up a printer cable for $8. Meanwhile at BB it costs $35, and for employees the cost (they get cost + 10% on everything) of said cable was $1.65. Total rip of Joe Public.

I could go on and on, that place blows. Period.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Okay, what's good about them? I used to work there while I was still in college.

Let's see... you've got the whole bait and switch thing (advertising a special, only having 5 in stock, then trying to talk everyone into upgrades).

You've got the post-Thanksgiving sales on computers/laptops where they force shoppers to go with the Geek Squad Anti-Virus installations and software buys in order to get the deal.

They don't honor coupons that they send to customers through email, and the moment you threaten to call the BBB, or mention the magical word 'fraud', they throw you out of the story like you got caught shoplifting.

They pay their salespeople jack , while the managers make phat commission off of bull warranty sales, and threaten said salespeople with a reduction in hours unless they shill the extended warranties and accessories marked up 3000%.

Like I said, the place sucks donkey balls. Show me something you want at WorstBuy, and I'll find it for you cheaper.

Take for example cables. Go to Altex and you can pick up a printer cable for $8. Meanwhile at BB it costs $35, and for employees the cost (they get cost + 10% on everything) of said cable was $1.65. Total rip of Joe Public.

I don't go for the specials. We go for big ticket items like Tv's and puters.

Name
    Josh
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I have just bout some cds there. I also met Malik there buying some cds.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We go for big ticket items like Tv's and puters.
    Ah yes, the computers with all their rebates that you could get for their after-rebate price on the web through reputable dealers without waiting on the rebates they try and stiff you on

TVs? I guess it depends what you're looking for, the only times they make sense IMO is if you can get the two years no interest financing.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ah yes, the computers with all their rebates that you could get for their after-rebate price on the web through reputable dealers without waiting on the rebates they try and stiff you on

I don't even waste my time figuring in any bargains from rebates. I've been waiting 3 months for a rebate from a router I bought, haven't got it. When I bought my laptop...didn't get it. When I bought my PC there were 3 I was supposed to get but all I managed to get was some weird-assed excuse on why I didn't qualify for them after all.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Best Buy is a retail store that has the newest electronics, TV’s, DVD players, home theaters, digital cameras, camcorders, (Not last years models)...As well a huge selection of DVD’s, CD’s Games, office products, home appliances etc....They have a fair return policy...I am sure one can argue that Costco or Sears has a better one...I spend a lot of money at Best Buy every year...

The person who only wants the rock bottom price, even if that means getting last years model, should not shop at Best Buy...They would be happier at a swap meet or one of the many discount stores that open & fold every year...

I am familiar with the employee pricing plan & I was just given an opportunity (to make a one time purchase at employee cost).... (A $35.00 cable does not cost Best Buy $1.65)... That is a Great Story though...

The employee discount is predicated on what Best Buy pays for the product...A Sony HD TV that I was looking at had a very minimal discount at the employee pricing plan due to the fact that Best Buy’s bulk price on those units was quite high....
    Last edited by Sportcamper; 08-28-2005 at 10:40 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Wow! Finally, that side of town gets something of that stature. Now, they need one on I-10 and 1604 or on the southside.

The Sean Marks Dance Duff McCartney's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Manny is that you?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    If San Antoino gets a Fry's, I might move back.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Fry's, they are in what part of the country? What about those GoodGuys electronic stores?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    There are Fry's stores in Austin, Houston and DFW as well as points futher west out to Cali -- it will make you forget all about Best Buy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    If San Antoino gets a Fry's, I might move back.

http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    AHF is right on the money. My daughter works there and let me tell IPOD is marked up so high, it's ridiculous. Employee discount on IPOD items is insane, almost like your getting the from a dollar store.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They have a fair return policy...I am sure one can argue that Costco or Sears has a better one...I spend a lot of money at Best Buy every year...
    Costco has a lifetime warranty on their products, and you don't have to pay the BB extortion fee to get it. Yes, that's right - you could go to Costco, buy a tv, take it back in five years, no worries.

So yeah, I'd say they're better.

I am familiar with the employee pricing plan & I was just given an opportunity (to make a one time purchase at employee cost).... (A $35.00 cable does not cost Best Buy $1.65)... That is a Great Story though...
    I don't know if I even kept the receipts because they were so cheap, but you're wrong.

Employee pricing is cost + 10%. Yes, there is not a ton of mark up on some TVs, and most computers only have a market up of $100-200.

That's what you get for looking at an over-priced Sony. For example, Samsung flat screens have about a $300-400 markup, depending on the model, as do other flat screen displays. It's why they will bargain with you on the warranty rip off - because they can knock $200 off the tv, still make a profit on that, and get you to spend $500 on a warranty that industry insurance experts statistically say will be utilized 1.2% of the time.

The most profitable aisle in Best Buy is the printer aisle. Why? That paper that costs you $5 costs $1. The cables that you pay $30, $35, $40 for (depending on length) cost $1-$2. Call bull if you want, it's the truth.

The inks? HP inks are marked up 250%. Canon inks - 100%. Lexmarks (the most expensive) are marked up 150%. Same with all the manufacturer's speciality papers (photos, etc.).

Like home theater? Monster cables.... total rip. If you want premium cables, go to Altex and pick them up for much cheaper. As an example, premium 10' RGB video cables at Altex...$9.95. Monster cables (same guts)...$99.95. Best Buy cost: $30.

I worked there for 8 months while I finished up school, and used my discount extensively. You don't think things are significantly marked up? When I quit working there I had spend approximately $2600 for myself and family. The retail on everything I bought (what you would pay had you gone in to by it as joe public): $5400.

If you want printer inks, get them online - some place like eink4u.com. Cables, go to Altex (www.altex.com). Don't give away your money to BB.

SpursWoman - call BB's rebate hotline and start raising about your rebates. They're teetering on the brink of a class action lawsuit right now over their rebates. Start mentioning that if you're getting nowhere and you'll get your money back.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Damn, couldn't find my cable receipts. here's some other examples of the markup though (BB makes all their money on accessories and warranties)...

Xbox wireless controller. retail $39.99, employee: $19.16
    Leather notebook case. retail $49.99, employee 12.86
    Laptop chill pad (goes underneath your laptop, has 2 fans). retail $49.99. employee 23.63.
    Secure Digital 512 MB memory card. retail 79.99, employee 51.88.
    Secure Digital 1 GB card. retail $119. employee $74.06.
    Thermal sensing cooling fan. retail $19.99, employee $2.45.
    Tivo. retail $199.99, employee $99.99
    Toshiba DVD player. retail $179.99, employee $132.46

Damn, I wish I still had the cable receipts so I could scan and post for you, before I left I bought 2 firewire and USB cables each for myself and my parents, brothers, and sisters. I bought a total of 20 cables and it cost me less than $40.

The best margin for Best Buy in computers are any of the in-house brands (i.e., Dynex, Geek Squad), home theaters it's the Monster cables (Monster Corp. is owned by BB), that's about all I know or cared about (worked in computers, and had some friends in home theater).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Phuck BestBuy and their "camera cleaning" crew. I took in a camcorder for a cleaning and got it back with a damn finger print on the interior lense. NO this was done on purpose. Looked like someone just finished eating Macdonalds fries then said "here you go er" then reassembled everything. They would not give me back my money and offered to redo it again...WTF okay I'll leave my camera for another 30 days, yeah right. you BB!!

If I find something I want and best buy has it I'll mess it there then order it online from Newegg or other online retailer.

Thread Information