Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    Denver Broncos
    Post Count
    Malik Hairston, do you think we're better off letting Peyton go and letting Brock take over?

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Malik Hairston, do you think we're better off letting Peyton go and letting Brock take over?
    hope that happens... even though Osweiler can be good, i'm sick of being in the same division as Peyton Manning

Veteran
    Post Count
    Beast, in a different era and time and on a whole other level.
    Was Marino really as good as people say he was back then?

Is that the year Marino set the TD record and also the total pass yardage record? I don't think anyone came close to those numbers back then, did they?
    Last edited by Ice009; 01-16-2015 at 08:23 PM.

36/7/7
    My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    hope that happens... even though Osweiler can be good, i'm sick of being in the same division as Peyton Manning
    It's ing hilarious how this tool answered a question that was directed at MH

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Get off my D. I don't swing that way

Was Marino really as good as people say he was back then?

Is that the year Mario set the TD record and also the total pass yardage record? I don't think anyone came close to those numbers back then, did they?
    Not even close, Dan Fouts had the old record as he was Marino before Marino basically. Marino shattered every record that year, took a long time and rule changes later to pass it but several of the records are broken now. Back then you could jam the receiver and ride them out of bounds or whatever after 5 yards which is not allowed today. Marino was a great passer and before his time IMO, one of a kind and nowadays the pass happy NFL is so watered down it deserves some * by it when a record is set for a QB or Receiver IMO. Not taking away from the new guys or their game but it's different now.

Veteran
    Post Count
    Not even close, Dan Fouts had the old record as he was Marino before Marino basically. Marino shattered every record that year, took a long time and rule changes later to pass it but several of the records are broken now. Back then you could jam the receiver and ride them out of bounds or whatever after 5 yards which is not allowed today. Marino was a great passer and before his time IMO, one of a kind and nowadays the pass happy NFL is so watered down it deserves some * by it when a record is set for a QB or Receiver IMO. Not taking away from the new guys or their game but it's different now.
    I didn't really start watching NFL until about '94, '95 I think it was (there wasn't much coverage here), so I didn't really know who Marino was. I remember him being in Ace Ventura, and that's the first time I heard of him. It wasn't until during or after the '99 season that I saw his numbers when following the Rams with Warner/Faulk/Bruce back then and realized how good Marino was. For the record, I used to like Issac Bruce before fully getting on the bandwagon. I thought he was a very good receiver even though the Rams sucked the couple of seasons before Warner and Faulk got there.

I became a Ram fan when Kurt Warner first took over there and also when Marshall Faulk arrived (I really liked him on the Colts, thought he was an awesome all around player). No one had ever heard of Warner and during that season I kept saying, "who is this Warner guy". His numbers were insane, then I saw Marino was the only player to have more TD passes and passing yardage, so from that point on, I thought darn, Marino must have been awesome. That season was also 15 years before Warner's season and he still was a little bit off Marino's numbers. He was close, but still not that close. 41 TD passes to 48 I think it was.

What year did Manning and Brady break Marino's records? I'm thinking around 2004? So that's about 20 years. And I figured the rules changed enough from back in the day to now that helped allow players like Manning and Brady to break those numbers, which makes Marino's season even more impressive. Did the Dolphins come close to winning the Superbowl back then? I assume they had an average defense? What was their weakness?
    Last edited by Ice009; 01-16-2015 at 08:44 PM.

I didn't really start watching NFL until about '94, '95 I think it was (there wasn't much coverage here), so I didn't really know who Marino was. I remember him being in Ace Ventura, and that's the first time I heard of him. It wasn't until during or after the '99 season that I saw his numbers when following the Rams with Warner/Faulk/Bruce back then. For the record, I used to like Issac Bruce before fully getting on the bandwagon. I thought he was a very good receiver even though the Rams sucked the couple of seasons before Warner and Faulk got there.

I became a Ram fan when Kurt Warner first took over there and also when Marshall Faulk arrived (I really liked him on the Colts, thought he was an awesome all around player). No one had ever heard of Warner and during that season I kept saying, "who is this Warner guy". His numbers were insane, then I saw Marino was the only player to have more TD passes and passing yardage, so from that point on, I thought darn, Marino must have been awesome. That season was also 15 years before Warner's season and he still was a little bit off Marino's numbers. He was close, but still not that close. 41 TD passes to 48 I think it was.

What year did Manning and Brady break Marino's records? I'm thinking around 2004? So that's about 20 years. And I figured the rules changed enough from back in the day to now that helped allow players like Manning and Brady to break those numbers, which makes Marino's season even more impressive. Did the Dolphins come close to winning the Superbowl back then? I assume they had an average defense? What was their weakness?
    Isaac Bruce was great, he had 1700 yards in a season in 95 before Warner was there and he was the only one on the team! He was one of my favorite players around that time and up until retirement. I was a huge fan. Warner was good as well, dude had a few crazy years on the Rams, fun to watch. Brady broke it a few years back with the TD's I believe and Manning and Breeze broke the yards? I know Breeze did that is for sure, Manning maybe last year. I will have to look. Some older head told me Marino would throw for 6000 yards with today's rules and he was dead serious, no joke. Marinos season to me is still the best from a QB ever.

Dolphins made the Superbowl in 84 that year and lost to the great 49ers team who was 15-1 and regarded as one of the best teams ever, tough luck. Their D was okay but aging, Killer b's they were called but aging and they basically just outscored you that year while their D gave up some points! Their Running game was very weak, no standouts there. It was Marino and the Marks Brothers (Clayton and Duper) pretty much and an aging receiver in Nat Moore.
    Bill Walsh said later that he thought the 49ers had the game locked by just looking at Miami's defensive personnel in pregame. They simply weren't very big or athletic on defense and they had nobody who could handle Roger Craig coming out of the backfield. They couldn't stop the run, either: the following year, in the '85 playoffs, they gave up more than 500 combined rushing yards against the Browns (Earnest Byner had a huge game) and the Patriots. The Dolphins just were not a complete team in those days.

Marino was a phenomenon in 1984. He didn't just break the records for passing yards and touchdowns, he obliterated them. Y.A. tle's TD-pass record had stood for more than two decades and Marino just destroyed it by 12 TDs. He was unbelievable.
    You sir are correct on all you said above. Their D was a little light in the ass IMO and like you said overall just not that great IMO. Their rushing attack was very weak as well, Tony Nathan was a poor mans Thurman Thomas meaning he could catch out of the backfield and run but he was not a huge threat like Roger Craig was. Craig was a pure runner and a receiver as well, great overall back. Craig was Faulk before Faulk, revolutionized the game IMO with 1,000 and 1,000 in the same year.
    Last edited by Sean Cagney; 01-17-2015 at 04:09 PM.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    1984 Marino is still the best QB I've ever seen.
    I was still too young to remember 84 Marino other than fuzzy memories but he's the best pure passer I've seen. Not the best Qb or ultimate winner, but definetly the best thrower. It's a cliche but true, if he played today he'd obliterate the stats.

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    Dolphins made the Superbowl in 84 that year and lost to the great 49ers team who was 15-1 and regarded as one of the best teams ever, tough luck. Their D was okay but aging, Killer b's they were called but aging and they basically just outscored you that year while their D gave up some points! Their Running game was very weak, no standouts there. It was Marino and the Marks Brothers (Clayton and Duper) pretty much and an aging receiver in Nat Moore.
    Bill Walsh said later that he thought the 49ers had the game locked by just looking at Miami's defensive personnel in pregame. They simply weren't very big or athletic on defense and they had nobody who could handle Roger Craig coming out of the backfield. They couldn't stop the run, either: the following year, in the '85 playoffs, they gave up more than 500 combined rushing yards against the Browns (Earnest Byner had a huge game) and the Patriots. The Dolphins just were not a complete team in those days.

Marino was a phenomenon in 1984. He didn't just break the records for passing yards and touchdowns, he obliterated them. Y.A. tle's TD-pass record had stood for more than two decades and Marino just destroyed it by 12 TDs. He was unbelievable.

I was still too young to remember 84 Marino other than fuzzy memories but he's the best pure passer I've seen. Not the best Qb or ultimate winner, but definetly the best thrower. It's a cliche but true, if he played today he'd obliterate the stats.
    Yeah he would kill it today man, no doubt.

You sir are correct on all you said above. Their D was a little light in the ass IMO and like you said overall just not that great IMO. Their rushing attack was very weak as well, Tony Nathan was a poor mans Thurman Thomas meaning he could catch out of the backfield and run but he was not a huge threat like Roger Craig was. Craig was a pure runner and a receiver as well, great overall back. Craig was Faulk before Faulk, revolutionized the game IMO with 1,000 and 1,000 in the same year.

Thread Information