Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Denver Broncos
    Post Count
    But how does not calling a timeout make Seattle more likely to pass the ball? Time wasn't even a factor and they had a timeout, which is why they were taking their time in the huddle prior to that interception. I think they call that re ed play regardless of whether or not Belichick calls a timeout.
    Any High School-level coach calls a timeout there, it's basic strategy and would be in any "Introduction to Coaching" textbook..so, I refuse to believe Belichick, one of the most experienced coaches in league history, didn't realize it made more sense to call a timeout, from a basic football standpoint..

He must have seen something he liked in their defense's set vs. Seattle's formations, at that point, and would have rather taken his chances with Seattle trying to get in the end zone, rather than relying on Brady to drive the full field against that defense..

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    But how does not calling a timeout make Seattle more likely to pass the ball? Time wasn't even a factor and they had a timeout, which is why they were taking their time in the huddle prior to that interception. I think they call that re ed play regardless of whether or not Belichick calls a timeout.
    If they ran it and didn't get it, they'd have to call their last time out. It would be a huge gamble for them to run it on third down because if they don't get it they have to hurry up on fourth and goal for all the chips

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Knowing the Seahawks are not a lock to score, based on their numbers this season, so choosing to trust your defense, rather than relying on Brady to drive the entire field in 1 minute or less..
    trusting your defense and calling a timeout there weren't mutually exclusive. Seattle had enough time to do whatever it wanted regardless of the timeout.

Also if Lynch was so bad from the 1 yard line then wouldn't BB want to do something to make them more likely to call that play?

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Any High School-level coach calls a timeout there, it's basic strategy and would be in any "Introduction to Coaching" textbook..so, I refuse to believe Belichick didn't realize it made more sense to call a timeout, from a basic football standpoint, he must have seen something he liked in their defense's set vs. Seattle's formations, at that point..
    That's a fair argument I guess.

your av

Believe.
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    if he calls a timeout there the Seahawks run the ball no question. He threw Carroll for a loop on that one.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    so bill belichik making an obvious mistake must be the right move because he's bill belichik. because we've never seen him make ty decisions before. i guess we should never second guess pop either

My Team
    Denver Broncos
    Post Count
    I just find it hard to believe that Belichick would ignore a basic coaching decision that everybody in the world thought he should have made..everybody watching, everybody commenting, everybody on Twitter, in the media, etc was puzzled as to why he didn't take a timeout, yet Belichick himself didn't understand that it was the correct move, from a basic football standpoint?

It's not the same type of decision like the Seahawks choosing to pass with Wilson, rather than run the ball, or Pop taking Duncan out of the game because he thought Tim would be too slow to rotate..Belichick calling a timeout would have been a basic football decision that everybody in the world expected, there's no way that he wouldn't realize the clock/timeouts situation in the ing SB, at that point of the game..

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    this sounds like people's rationale about Pop after 6

he made an error but it didn't come back to bite him, so no need to harp on it. if the seahawks scored a TD instead of getting picked, we wouldn't be harping on Bevell's bad play call either

My Team
    Denver Broncos
    Post Count
    Pop's decision to remove Duncan wasn't a basic coaching move, it wasn't even particularly a stupid decision, it actually made sense, and the Spurs have been burned before by Duncan being too slow vs. stretch bigs/spaced-out teams..

Belichick calling a timeout would have been a basic coaching move that 99.9% of the world would have done..

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Pop's decision to remove Duncan wasn't a basic coaching move, it wasn't even particularly a stupid decision, it actually made sense, and the Spurs have been burned before by Duncan being too slow vs. stretch bigs/spaced-out teams..

Belichick calling a timeout would have been a basic coaching move that 99.9% of the world would have done..
    Pop pulling Duncan the first time was fine... Miami had a small lineup with LeBron, Chalmers, Miller, Wade, Allen.

but after getting burned by an offensive rebound AND having Miami insert Bosh, it was stupid not to have Duncan out there. it was just like Vogel pulling Hibbert two consecutive possessions to give up two consecutive layups

plus not having them foul in the event of a rebound was foolish. it was a coaching gaffe, lets not play around that. even the great ones have slip ups. we were bagging on Pop for not switching Green to Monta until late in the Dallas series, etc.

Post Count
    I think BB was contemplating hard whether to call it or not, but in the end decided not to knowing the Seahawks were down to one TO and scrambling. He was letting the pressure mount on them as the precious seconds were ticking away. Why bail them out calling a TO?

36/7/7
    My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Still think he has to give Brady the ball back with 1:00 to go and 2 timeouts, only needing a FG.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    was 24 seconds left

My Team
    Detroit Lions
    Post Count
    BTW If the 1-5 is true then the decision to not go to Lynch does not seem that dumb tbh...

If Beli knows it, Carroll knows it too even tho Pats Def were set to counter a Lynch run.

One could see Carroll move as a very solid one... Trusting Harlem's numbers, Lynch is 1-5 one the 1 yard line, in 109 passes from 1 yard line 0 interception. Based on stat going for the pass is the correct move, you don't lose the ball, at wort you waste time which is great.

Blame should then be put on the execution from RW throw to receiver being afraid of the ball.

so much for the conspiracy theory tbh...

People needs to make up their mind

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Honestly, he probably saw that to call timeout and let them score, he'd then have to go at least 40 yds in 30-40ish seconds with one timeout, against one of the all-time greatest secondaries and a QB with a ty deep ball and no real burners out wide. He wouldn't be able to neutralize the pass rush with a ton of short quick passes because there's just not enough time, and he knows Brady would end up getting sacked like the last 2 SB desperation drives. At that point he probably said " it, we'll win or lose this game right now" and hoped his defense could deliver a miracle or a goal line stand.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Honestly, he probably saw that to call timeout and let them score, he'd then have to go at least 40 yds in 30-40ish seconds with one timeout, against one of the all-time greatest secondaries and a QB with a ty deep ball and no real burners out wide. At that point he probably said " it, we'll win or lose this game right now" and hoped his defense could deliver a miracle or a goal line stand.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Matt Ryan can throw it deep and he has maybe the best deep ball receiver in the NFL.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Matt Ryan can throw it deep and he has maybe the best deep ball receiver in the NFL.
    ... yeah but you dont just give up during the superbowl. maybe he was hoping letting the time run would pressure the seahawks

the longest throw on that possession was 30 yards to harry douglas though

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    They also had 2 timeouts, the Patriots would have had 1 or zero depending on which down Seattle scored.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    ... yeah but you dont just give up during the superbowl. maybe he was hoping letting the time run would pressure the seahawks
    He didn't give up, he just decided that letting the defense win or lose the game was a better option than letting them score and trying another desperation drive.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    He didn't give up, he just decided that letting the defense win or lose the game was a better option than letting them score and trying another desperation drive.
    but why does calling a timeout mean he can't let the defense win the game anyway?

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    Honestly, he probably saw that to call timeout and let them score, he'd then have to go at least 40 yds in 30-40ish seconds with one timeout, against one of the all-time greatest secondaries and a QB with a ty deep ball and no real burners out wide. He wouldn't be able to neutralize the pass rush with a ton of short quick passes because there's just not enough time, and he knows Brady would end up getting sacked like the last 2 SB desperation drives. At that point he probably said " it, we'll win or lose this game right now" and hoped his defense could deliver a miracle or a goal line stand.
    Makes sense, especially since it wasn't as if the Seahawks could run the clock down and just kick the field goal to win, like the Broncos in their Super Bowl against Green Bay. The Seahawks still had to score a touchdown to win.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    but why does calling a timeout mean he can't let the defense win the game anyway?
    To put pressure on Seattle. They're the ones who still have to score and are running out of time.

My Team
    Detroit Lions
    Post Count
    I do agree with this... he liked the lines up and said it

My Team
    Denver Broncos
    Post Count
    I keep hearing the stupid take: "Rodgers drove the field against Seattle in the previous game"

- Brady, as good as he is, just dinks and dunks at this point of his career..there's no way he drives the entire field and scores a TD against that D with limited time
    - Their timeout situation would have hurt them, too

Thread Information