SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Posted:
    Tue Feb. 3, 2015

BY ROB MAHONEY

The announcement of the 14 reserves selected to the 2015 NBA All-Star game was met with almost mechanical outrage. The players omitted in these cases are generally irrelevant. What matters -- and what ignites such fevered, impulsive response -- is the very, unavoidable act of exclusion, channeled through the reactive heart of one fan base as easily as it would the next. It is an outrage defined by its vacancy.

And, in the case of this year's most notable omissions, it often came with a target. Whether objecting to the immediate absence of DeMarcus Cousins (who was later named as Kobe Bryant's injury replacement) or Damian Lillard, it became common to sneer at the nod given to the 38-year-old Tim Duncan. One could fill tomes with every parroting of Duncan's selection as a "lifetime achievement award."

There are compelling arguments as to why Cousins and Lillard are worthier selections than Duncan. They may be right. But they shouldn't come at the expense of acknowledging just how brilliant Duncan has been this season, and just how utterly reasonable it is for him to make the All-Star team. Duncan is -- not was -- a terrific basketball player. To claim otherwise conveniently glosses over just how effective and important Duncan has been by his own merits this season.

Read the rest on http://www.si.com/nba/2015/02/03/def...tar-game-spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching the Warriors/Kings game tonight, I was reminded for the hundredth time of the frustrating player that is DeMarcus Cousins. His body language is horrible, he argues with the refs or stands with his hands on his hips instead of getting back on D, he rarely encourages his teammates, etc., etc.

I'd describe him as having all of the talent but none of the intangibles of a winner. I think about it this way: New Orleans is really excited to have Anthony Davis as the foundation of their future. Sacramento is really nervous having Cousins as the foundation of theirs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching the Warriors/Kings game tonight, I was reminded for the hundredth time of the frustrating player that is DeMarcus Cousins. His body language is horrible, he argues with the refs or stands with his hands on his hips instead of getting back on D, he rarely encourages his teammates, etc., etc.

I'd describe him as having all of the talent but none of the intangibles of a winner. I think about it this way: New Orleans is really excited to have Anthony Davis as the foundation of their future. Sacramento is really nervous having Cousins as the foundation of theirs.
    Didn't see the game tonight, but over the course of the season he's been much improved in some of the areas you described (defense + at ude). He really made a step forward this year, and there's no question he deserved an all-star selection.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many of the players receive contract bonuses if they are selected/ played in the All-Star games?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy needs no justification. This is not an old shaq or a Vince carter who didn't even play the 1st half of the season getting in. He's averaging a double-double if that's not good enough they can off Timmy is the man!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this is just another case of, "casual fan doesn't appreciate defense or team play and probably barely even recognizes it", as usual.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

have a look

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/dema...ousins-defense

Thread Information