Page 240 of 281 FirstFirst ... 140190230236237238239240241242243244250 ... LastLast
Results 5,976 to 6,000 of 7004
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    ^^^^^^

Very interesting. I find the overall power structure and $ situation much more interesting than Murray.

Lets hope Sharp continues to stick his nose in everything. Now we get a better view of Sumlin's allegiance to the school if the above is true. And the lesson for UT fans is to try to hire the best man available and then step out of the way of the football end. Evaluations should not be knee jerk Djohn tirades 5 minutes after we lose a game. ( I am also guilty) Furthermore, evaluations should not only be centered around the ability to recruit a squirrelly teenager that some site has put asterisk-stars by. (And then proceeds to follow the prospect's goofy lists which change by the second on Twitter.)

Realizing this is a recruiting thread, please keep up the good work of following these squirrels... so I have stepped in it a bit ... carry on please.

* removes poop from new shoes*
    It's not a knee jerk evaluation. 5-7 at Texas should not be acceptable. But it's not just the record. It's the decisions made throughout the game that have been the same for two years. It's the decisions to keep Watson and Bedford (who remains and adds nothing to recruiting). Losing bie while the AD is out of town, almost losing Gilbert, like a parent said, is a sign of a disorganized staff, and athletic department. And the part about hiring the best man available and getting out of his way, didn't Strong try to lowball Gilbert which is why the AD had to fly to Tulsa? So no, none of it is knee-jerk.
    Last edited by djohn2oo8; 01-07-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Post Count
    It's not a knee jerk evaluation. 5-7 at Texas should not be acceptable.
    Thus, the coaching changes..Nobody wants a losing record, but there is a reason most observers (including prospects) see the UT football as a program on the rise. Alot to look forward with this program and not many 5-7 teams can say that, especially with recruiting..

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Thus, the coaching changes..Nobody wants a losing record, but there is a reason most observers (including prospects) see the UT football as a program on the rise. Alot to look forward with this program and not many 5-7 teams can say that, especially with recruiting..
    Beyond recruiting, how they prepare for games during film sessions, in practice, etc should be important. It didn't seem that way this past season with guys and their twitter feuds. Strong needs to let Gilbert go to work.

Who wrote the above piece on TAMU/Sharp?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Who wrote the above piece on TAMU/Sharp?
    Chip.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    OrangeBloods reporting UT has offered 2017 DE K'Lavon Chaisson of Galena Park North Shore.

http://247sports.com/Player/Klavon-Chaisson-83858

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5294451/klavon-chaisson

My Team
    Miami Hurricanes
    Post Count
    OrangeBloods reporting UT has offered 2017 DE K'Lavon Chaisson of Galena Park North Shore.

http://247sports.com/Player/Klavon-Chaisson-83858

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5294451/klavon-chaisson
    I want this kid. He was all over the field during the playoffs.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    peep jersey in pic

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    WHAT’S REALLY GOING ON AT TEXAS A&M?
    Some of you have wondered why I have been reporting on developments at Texas A&M recently, and I have some source relationships connected to TAMU System chancellor John Sharp and former Gov. Rick Perry from when I covered them as statewide office holders as a news reporter for The Associated Press in Austin (1992-98).

A little more background before we get into whether Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin ever wanted QB Kyler Murray or was forced to take the legacy of A&M record-setting QB Kevin Murray by A&M strong arms so Kyler wouldn’t go to Texas.

Perry and Sharp were roommates at Texas A&M.

Both obviously went on to win election to statewide office – Sharp as comptroller and Perry as the longest-tenured governor in state history.

In 2011, Perry-controlled regents at A&M appointed Sharp as chancellor of the 19-member TAMU System.

And pretty much ever since, Sharp, an incredibly savvy and power-hungry politician, has been orchestrating maneuvers to make sure he is the most feared and listened-to leader connected to the A&M campus in College Station (even though Sharp oversees all 19 members of the A&M System).

When A&M celebrated the re-opening of Kyle Field after a $450 million renovation (that I’m told actually cost $520 million because of $70 million in overruns), it was Sharp front-and-center kicking off the festivities.

Not A&M president Michael Young or then-athletic director Eric Hyman.

Sharp.

To friends, Sharp referred to the renovated Kyle Field as “The House That Johnny Built” – as in Johnny Sharp.

But paying for The House That Johnny Built is going to be a different story. The $450 million price tag (and $70 million in cost overruns) is being financed by student fees, ticket sales, suite revenue, A&M’s SEC TV revenue, pledges to the 12th Man Foundation and $25 million from Bryan-College Station.
    The biggest problem facing A&M as it pays off roughly $350 million bonded to the university is that most of the pledges made to help finance a big chunk of the renovation costs were made back when oil was between $80 and $107 a barrel.

Oil is now hovering around $35 a barrel.

“When did things get desperate?” one high-powered A&M source said to me. “When the price of oil went below $50 a barrel.”

Whether he was carried away with his power or overly concerned about keeping interest high in A&M football, Sharp started to micromanage Kevin Sumlin and the football program, starting a year ago at this time, sources told HD.

According to those sources, Sumlin wasn’t concerned about Kyler Murray’s flickering allegiance to A&M and growing interest in committing to the University of Texas. Why? Because Sumlin and OC Jake Spavital were excited about the future of 5-star QB Kyle Allen.

Kevin Murray wasn’t crazy about Sumlin (based on a tweet he made about A&M’s lack of defense during the 2014 season) and probably preferred Texas’ Charlie Strong.

But A&M’s strong arms – led by Sharp – weren’t OK with the idea of Kyler Murray ending up at Texas, the sources said.

The sources said Sumlin was forced to make promises of playing time to the Murray family. Ultimately, those promises and Kyler’s mother saying, “I didn’t name you ‘Kyler,’ after ‘Kyle Field’ for nothing,” helped sway Kyler Murray to sign with the Aggies.

The season – and perhaps the funding of The House That Johnny Built - turned in a home game against Alabama.

That’s when Kyle Allen threw three pick-sixes and was ultimately replaced by Kyler Murray. After Murray threw one interception (not returned for a TD), Murray was replaced by Allen. Murray was irate. Let Spavital have it, and then Murray was benched for the next game against Mississippi.

But the sources said Sharp was blowing up the phones of Sumlin and Spavital starting in the middle of the Alabama game to get Kyler Murray more involved. So when Murray was benched for the Ole Miss game – a 23-3 loss - and the following week, the A&M strong arms told Sumlin to start Murray against South Carolina the following week.

A&M won. Murray started again against Auburn (a loss) and again against Western Carolina (a win).

Kyle Allen, who didn’t play at all against South Carolina or Auburn, then started the last two games of the season against Vanderbilt and LSU as Murray failed to play a single snap in either game.

By that time, sources said, all the relationships were broken - the relationships between the QBs and coaches and between Sharp, Sumlin and Spavital.

Basically, Sumlin contends he was forced to take Kyler Murray and promise playing time, which messed things up with Allen, sources said. And then when Sharp and his strong arms didn’t like the result, they were ready to be done Sumlin and Spavital, sources said.

“The only thing that saved Kevin Sumlin was a $20 million buyout and oil at $36 a barrel,” one source told HD. “Eric Hyman was fired because he didn’t share the view of firing Sumlin.”

I reported on Dec. 17 that Sharp was exploring the possibility of terminating Sumlin’s contract – possibly even having Sumlin fired for cause. I reported then that if Hyman wasn’t on board, he could be fired, too.

But an attorney for Sumlin indicated to A&M officials if Sumlin was fired for cause, the school would be facing a discrimination lawsuit in the neighborhood of $40 million, sources said.

Sharp told San Antonio Express-News reporter Brent Zwernamen my report was a “fairy tale.”

Sharp indicated to me that A&M had a clear chain of command – that Sharp hired and fired presidents, the president hired and fired athletic directors and the AD hired and fired coaches.

But Hyman didn’t want to fire Sumlin and didn’t believe Sumlin needed to fire Spavital.

Sharp and his strong arms, however, needed a scapegoat for A&M’s 71st-ranked scoring offense (27.8 ppg) and for the QB transfers that probably never would have happened if Sumlin wasn’t forced to take Murray, sources said.

For Sharp and his strong arms it’s all about keeping the money flowing to pay off the Kyle Field renovation, which means keeping the big money at A&M happy with football and in the giving mood. So on Wednesday HD reported that Hyman's replacement as AD would be Washington athletic director Scott Woodward and that Spavital's replacement would be UCLA OC Noel Mazzone at more than $1 million per year for three guaranteed years.

The question is if Sharp and the strong arms would have been better off never getting involved in the Kyler Murray recruitment, sources said.
    This guy really has no shame. I really hope nobody takes this guy serious. The rivalry and football aside, this guy is just an absolute embarrassment to the journalism profession. So many things are just not true in this article and I can't believe someone would still publish such a thing.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    This guy really has no shame. I really hope nobody takes this guy serious. The rivalry and football aside, this guy is just an absolute embarrassment to the journalism profession. So many things are just not true in this article and I can't believe someone would still publish such a thing.
    Dumpster fire

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    ? Who? Y'all?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The School that built a stadium and now can't afford it.

The school that hired an OC that was getting fired.

The school that gave Sumlin a ridiculous amount of money to the point thee buyout is too high.

The School that is losing recruits to Strong and Herman.

The schools whose AD stepped down hours after giving Sumlin the vote of confidence

The school that was too ashamed of getting assreamed by one school and opted to become the red headed stepchild of several schools.

The school that actually es into jars

The school that is one of the worst in the SEC

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Funny how U of H won a major bowl game after Stumblin left

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    both of yall

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    2017 OL Grayson Reed (Cypress Creek)

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Quite a staff over there.

@mbpRivals: Noel Mazzone is not #TAMU's OC. He has left B/CS and is returning to LA to consider his options.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    @mbpRivals: Noel Mazzone is not #TAMU's OC. He has left B/CS and is returning to LA to consider his options.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    If you don't mind...

What specifically is not true in the piece (not having to do with Murray)?

Specfically, what is inaccurate about Sumlin, Sharp, and AtM ex AD? And the stadium $ costs as well?

I have no earthly way of knowing, so I would appreciate an accounting of inaccuracies. We need for some of your recruits to swing our way. So, it would help if your FB situation was more unstable than ours. I await any responses from any posters on Chps inaccurate statements.

Thanks.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    If you don't mind...

What specifically is not true in the piece (not having to do with Murray)?

Specfically, what is inaccurate about Sumlin, Sharp, and AtM ex AD? And the stadium $ costs as well?

I have no earthly way of knowing, so I would appreciate an accounting of inaccuracies. We need for some of your recruits to swing our way. So, it would help if your FB situation was more unstable than ours. I await any responses from any posters on Chps inaccurate statements.

Thanks.
    I'm willing to bet he is denying it specifically because it was written by Chip.

I was wondering, if it wasn't true, why hasn't one of the aggsy writers made a statement to refute it?

STATESMAN: If his family gets its way, Manor linebacker Erick Fowler will back out of his commitment to LSU and sign with Texas.

They just might get their wish.

Manor’s Fowler likes LSU, but Longhorns could be in play.
    Fowler plans to explore other schools before signing day, he says, and will visit Texas as part of a major recruiting weekend for the Longhorns on Jan. 15.

But first Fowler has a game to play, and he will join eight other Texans on the West squad for Saturday’s U.S. Army All-American Bowl at the Alamodome. In practices, Fowler has worked at outside linebacker and defensive end, positions that Texas melds into the Fox, a hybrid of the two.

Fowler, the state’s No. 9 player on the American-Statesman’s Fabulous 55, grew up a fan of LSU and singed his family when he bypassed Texas and committed to the Tigers on June 13.

Do they hope he changes course?

“Of course,” Fowler said.

Fowler, rated as the nation’s No. 80 prospect according to 247Sports’ composite rating, is a four-star prospect and reports offers from 16 schools.

After averaging 17.5 sacks and 90 tackles over his junior and sop re seasons, Fowler saw his production dip this past fall. He recorded five sacks and 55 tackles and wasn’t included on the All-Central Texas team after being a first-team choice the previous two seasons. Another Manor senior linebacker, Adrian Hunter, had 97 tackles and was selected to the first team.

Manor won eight games in 2015 and advanced to the Class 5A, Division I playoffs.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way,” Fowler said. “(The seniors) have been playing with each other since sixth grade, seventh grade. I don’t have any regrets. We played our hardest.”

On Saturday, Fowler gets one more chance to make an impression in front of a national TV audience. He’ll be flanked by eight other Texans on the West team: defensive linemen Ross Blacklock (Elkins), Jordan Elliott (Houston Westside), Mark Jackson (Cibolo Steele) and Justin Madubuike (McKinney North); defensive backs Charles Oliver (Fairfield) and Sewo Olonilua (Kingwood); running back Kyle Porter (Katy); and receiver Tren’Davian son (Navasota).

Texas continues to recruit Elliott, who is committed to Michigan, as well as Jackson, an A&M pledge who plans to visit Texas with Fowler and several more marquee prospects next weekend.

“Just really wanting to represent for my family, my friends, for Austin,” Fowler said. “Just show the world what God gave me to give.”

None of the players in the game are committed to Texas, which has 13 pledges in a class ranked No. 34 nationally and fourth in the Big 12. At last week’s Under Armour All-America Game in Orlando, Fla., the Longhorns landed a commitment from four-star offensive tackle Jean Delance of North Mesquite, who is being talked about as a 2016 starter at right tackle.

Delance, the No. 13 player on the Fab 55, is Texas’ highest-rated recruit.

With other recruiting areas addressed, Texas’ attention has shifted to defensive linemen after the Longhorns acquired just one player at that position last year, Charles Omenihu. This year’s class features three three-star players — ends Andrew Fitzgerald (Flower Mound) and Malcolm Roach (Baton Rouge) and tackle Gerald Wilbon (Destrehan, La.).

Fowler could join them.

What will it take?

“If a college can offer more than LSU can in the long run,” he said.

Thread Information