Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    I thought his secretary was a fat Mexican woman with big s in BB.
    I think she was white, and she didn't just have big s, she had sugar s!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Maybe I'm confusing her with the big black dude security that was always falling asleep.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I think she was white, and she didn't just have big s, she had sugar s!
    You're right, I was thinking Mexican because of her name.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hector and his cartel hit-man kids from BB in the show now...
    Last edited by Bender; 03-22-2016 at 06:57 AM.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think this series has lost me. I love the character Saul/Jimmy, he was one of my favorites from BB. They are just too much in a hurry to capitalize on BB (esp the characters I disliked the most). I wanted to see a full development of Jimmy/Saul's story and the people in his life but so far it's just a prequel to BB and I've been over BB for a while so I just can't find much to be interested in so far this season.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    It's not really. Mike is a sub-story, and I'm starting to feel a very important one.

Almost 30 of the 40 nightly minutes are dedicated to Jimmy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    So Jimmy's exit from Davis & Main will come from representing Mike at his trial on the gun charge. I'm still wondering if he gets Kim killed on one of their bar scams before the season ends, or if he just finds a way to get her disbarred.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Columbia Lions
    I find the series fascinating. There are hints of Breaking Bad all around -- partly because you can't tell the stories of Mike and Saul/Jimmy without starting to develop why they are where they are when we meet them in BB and partly because it's fun for fans to try to find those hints. But they're meticulously weaving the backstories of these characters to get us to the point where BCS will actually catch up with where they are in BB.

I find it interesting that by the time we see Saul in BB, the people who have surrounded him in BCS basically appear to be gone from his life -- there's no hint of Kim or Chuck or Howard or Davis & Main. Saul is not just a different name for Jimmy McGill; he's going to essentially become a different person with a different life. Meanwhile, Mike is Mike throughout and the people who are close to him in BCS are still around him when we catch up to him in BB.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I find the series fascinating. There are hints of Breaking Bad all around -- partly because you can't tell the stories of Mike and Saul/Jimmy without starting to develop why they are where they are when we meet them in BB and partly because it's fun for fans to try to find those hints. But they're meticulously weaving the backstories of these characters to get us to the point where BCS will actually catch up with where they are in BB.

I find it interesting that by the time we see Saul in BB, the people who have surrounded him in BCS basically appear to be gone from his life -- there's no hint of Kim or Chuck or Howard or Davis & Main. Saul is not just a different name for Jimmy McGill; he's going to essentially become a different person with a different life. Meanwhile, Mike is Mike throughout and the people who are close to him in BCS are still around him when we catch up to him in BB.
    To me Jimmy has always been Saul. He tried to be on good behavior at Davis and Main in the beginning, but it's not him: he has always been a conman, whether stealing from his dad's business, running scams with his friend in Chicago, dressing up like a cowboy to illegally recruit people on that Sandpiper tour bus, scamming that dude into buying he and Kim a whole bottle of $50 a shot tequila, etc. I don't see character transformation in Better Call Saul like I did seeing Walter White go from angry failure schoolteacher to Scarface. I expect Chuck to be dead at some point this season, I think Jimmy will finally destroy Kim, and he's already burned bridges at HH&M and Davis & Main. Good luck ever getting another job at a reputable firm in New Mexico after that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They are just too much in a hurry to capitalize on BB (esp the characters I disliked the most).
    When Walter White was complaining to Saul about his low sales volume on street corners (using Jesse's friends), Saul is the one who pointed him to Tuco... with a warning. So the Tuco/Hector/cartel plot line in BCS is only natural. I didn't care for Tuco in BB either though.

Mike is looking old & feeble. If they drag it out too many seasons/years, Mike will be looking 80.
    Last edited by Bender; 03-22-2016 at 08:00 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    When Walter White was complaining to Saul about his low sales volume on street corners (using Jesse's friends), Saul is the one who pointed him to Tuco... with a warning. So the Tuco/Hector/cartel plot line in BCS is only natural.
    I think you are confusing Tuco with Gus. Tuco was dead a couple seasons before Saul even made his first appearance.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I think you are confusing Tuco with Gus. Tuco was dead a couple seasons before Saul even made his first appearance.
    Yeah, Tuco was a hookup Jesse got from Skinny Pete since they jailed together.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    hmmm... I could have sworn that Saul told WW he knew a volume dealer and it was Tuco, but yeah, it was Fring.

you're both right...Tuco was way back during the first season.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    hmmm... I could have sworn that Saul told WW he knew a volume dealer and it was Tuco, but yeah, it was Fring.

you're both right...Tuco was way back during the first season.
    Jesse gets hooked up with Tuco because Skinny Pete was friends with him in prison. So the show has now explained why Tuco was in prison. It's all in the same universe and it was always meant to be. You can't have one without the other.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Baseline beat me to it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Columbia Lions
    To me Jimmy has always been Saul. He tried to be on good behavior at Davis and Main in the beginning, but it's not him: he has always been a conman, whether stealing from his dad's business, running scams with his friend in Chicago, dressing up like a cowboy to illegally recruit people on that Sandpiper tour bus, scamming that dude into buying he and Kim a whole bottle of $50 a shot tequila, etc. I don't see character transformation in Better Call Saul like I did seeing Walter White go from angry failure schoolteacher to Scarface. I expect Chuck to be dead at some point this season, I think Jimmy will finally destroy Kim, and he's already burned bridges at HH&M and Davis & Main. Good luck ever getting another job at a reputable firm in New Mexico after that.
    That's all true from a behavioral standpoint. I think my point is more that from a social aspect, it seems likely that the life that Jimmy leads is different than the life that Saul leads and probably because the choice to overtly embrace what Saul costs those relationships for a variety of reasons.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Eh you guys are probably right but I just haven't found much to be fascinated by. I guess I was expecting something else instead of just a background of how the BB characters came to be. BUT it took me a couple of seasons to get into BB also. I'll probably let it end and then binge watch the season, see if I feel differently.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sit back and enjoy, everyone is tooooo much of a critic these days on fun shows like BCS

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    That's all true from a behavioral standpoint. I think my point is more that from a social aspect, it seems likely that the life that Jimmy leads is different than the life that Saul leads and probably because the choice to overtly embrace what Saul costs those relationships for a variety of reasons.
    Isn't he back in the nail salon when we get introduced to him in BB? I think this Ehrmentraut gun charge is going to be the thing that pushes him from Jimmy to Saul and back to hustling for everything like at the beginning of the series. Though with Hector looking healthy and Krazy Eight looking so young it still looks like it's a few years before he gets introduced to Walt, so Gilligan looks like he still has a ton of time to play with.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    BCS is great. Love the BB tie-ins. They're well written, not like Lucas prequels which forced everything .

Mikes story is good. Just knowing how he gets done in seems unworthy now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    I'm curious if Mike contributes to Hector's state of bell-ringing.

Seems more like old age and stroke, but he has his faculties, just not functionalities. Would make sense in him becoming Gustavo #1 muscle.

As for Jimmy, I already know. I watch Jimmy for the dialogue. It's impeccable. Layers of nuance.

With every episode I'm more and more intrigued.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sit back and enjoy, everyone is tooooo much of a critic these days on fun shows like BCS
    Agree. We dissect the out of shows. I'm just enjoying the ride.

The Salamanca twins scare me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Another good episode. It's the shortest 45 minutes on TV. Sometimes I wish I would just DVR the season and binge watch it.
    Such a great job with the writing and casting. No weak characters imo which makes all the scenes stand up. Even the ones not involving the main characters.

Love the Jimmy story line for sure but more and more I find myself wanting to get to the Mike scenes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    The toilet flushing scene reminded me of one of my goddamn hippie roommates.

Thankfully the little sniffer only last a month. I happily paid a bit extra in rent to get that fecal keeper out of the house.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Great episode last night imo. Pretty light on the Mike story line but it went along way in developing Jimmy and Kim's paths. Really well done. I thought the scene with Jimmy staring at the wind puppet and the ties was pretty damn cool.

2 possibly anachronisms:

1) did they even have those wind puppets at that time?
    2) Jimmy uses a juicer in the office and I'm not sure they had that back then. If so, they didn't bother to try to find an old model. It looks like one from recently.

No big deal.

Thread Information