Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you saw the ASG you saw Russell Westbrook go for 41 points on what could be called a one man show, only it wasn't a one man show. Russell had Durant on the floor quite often, and had other teammates as well who weren't named Thabo or Serge or Nick or Reggie. He didn't care at all. Russell made up his mind that he was going to win a pointless ASG MVP award rather than have fun with the group, that he was going to flex his alpha muscle in a meaningless game while being unseeded as an NBA player. Kevin Durant has done that a number of times, and James Harden seems a bit prone to it as well even though he and Steph were mixing it up a bit.

Russ is a ball of energy, of that there's no doubt, and he's a prolific scorer who can get to the rim at will. He's a point guard however, and on a team with the likes of the reigning regular season MVP and enough offensive help to create a dynamic offensive scheme. He won't do that, he'll choose instead of have triple doubles and fool's gold performances to boost his marketability with the sponsors. If that's his goal and he's thought it out, he's going about it the right way. The media and many fans seem to love ball hawgs and chuckers, and likes to label people as unstoppable even if they never won anything of importance (meaning something stopped them). Russ isn't unstoppable if you mean in a basketball sense. He stops himself all the time from having a compe ive team.

That two man show they run in OKC should be a one man show, and Russ should be involving others. It's ok that Russ can score when he needs to, but he doesn't accept that anyone else on the team ever needs to score. Surely someone will mention his assists but he's a bailout passer, doesn't run an offense at all.

Some of you might think you'd choose Russ to PG your team if you built one, but you'd just be SC highlights bound, not Finals bound. When they did make the Finals, it was because other players stepped up. The Thunder will never win a ring with Russ because Russ has Kobe mentality, but OKC doesn't have LA attractiveness and they have proven they are not willing to pay to stack a team.

Yes, Lebron was doing the same thing on the other side. He wants every award available, always, because like Russ, he thinks these things add up to greatness when it's all said and done. They don't. Some of it is just how they are built, compe ive, but compe ion is geared to win, not just to look good while losing. James likes to stack his teams, because he likes to win. I think Russ would prefer to be the only player on the floor most of the time.
    Last edited by DMC; 02-16-2015 at 12:28 PM.

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You make a solid argument. I agree and think deep down inside Westbrook rather put up 30 PPG on a bottom feeder while challenging for the MVP award every year. Whether he will admit it or Thunder fan acknowledge but he has and will continue to hold resentment towards Durant like Kobe did Shaq but at the end of the day, Westbrook isn't as great of a Basketball player as Kobe was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i hope you're right. it's a good counterpoint to the Westbrook fingerbanging on this board.

He's more Koba than Kobe, so not a sociopath but still toxic and alpha at the same time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once Durant leave, he`ll have all shots he wants. Something like stat padding Kirby, Melo and while he`s knees are good to go, he`ll get to playoffs.

Der Willis der Spurs wird siegen! FlAVaK's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://vine.co/v/OPlM1DIlqUT

"Westbrook hits his head on the backboard"

And he almost injured himself showboating...

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Dmc may be right about him not ringing. But I disagree that going hard in a ASG is an example of why he wont he likes to compete and there is nothing wrong with that. Magic, and Jordan took it seriously LeBron and Kobe too they have won plenty of les. I get its part of the Spurs mindset and I agree that focusing on ball movement and on playoffs primarily is smart ...but it's not the only way. If Shaq was in his prime or Jordan I bet they could still win les even with the antiquated triangle ... Talent is still more important than system you just need a good system to take advantage give me prime Shaq with Kobe or Prime Jordan with Pip they will always look to eat first but they will still win. Give me the dominant player over lets say the Hawks model.
    Last edited by Killakobe81; 02-16-2015 at 09:55 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but <3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude sucks

I have no idea how a spurs fan could be a westchimp player fan tbh... does not make any sense

He is the opposite of the way Spurs play bb and I agree with DMC, he does not give a ... Pop like any other coach would not be capable to properly coach him

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would appreciate TS go learn some paragraphing

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh if Westbrook were a few inches taller, the media would probably label him as the 2nd coming of Kobe as like Kobe is the 2nd coming of MJ

Audie=GOAT human MarioSpeedwagon's Avatar
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Pretty uninsightful thread. This criticism of him has been made thousands of times on this forum alone already

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Water is wet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty much what many others including myself have said here. But you wrote the Moby version.

Congrats.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Dmc may be right about him not ringing. But I disagree that going hard in a ASG nothing wrong with that. Magic, and Jordan took it seriously LeBron and Kobe too they have won plenty of les. I get its part of the Spurs mindset and I agree that focusing on ball movement and on playoffs primarily is smart ...but it's not the only way. If Shaq was in his prime or Jordan I bet they could still win les even with the antiquated triangle ... Talent is still more important than system you just need a good system to take advantage give me prime Shaq with Kobe or Prime Jordan with Pip they will always look to eat first but they will still win. Give me the dominant player over lets say the Hawks model.
    Nothing wrong with playing hard in the ASG, Westbrook tends to do that kind of chucking he did last night in real games. 28 shots to 1 assist.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Dude sucks

I have no idea how a spurs fan could be a westchimp player fan tbh... does not make any sense

He is the opposite of the way Spurs play bb and I agree with DMC, he does not give a ... Pop like any other coach would not be capable to properly coach him
    Disagree. Pop, RC someone like that is EXACTLY what he needs. A athlete like that needs guidance and good coaching and I think it's foolish to write him off early. MJ was (and of course rotator cuff) all benefited from structure and good coaching. Shaq needed it too. He ,may never get it. But he is still pretty young and to say he never will is a bit rash.

I agree the current version does seem like he wont ever figure it out and he seems very stubborn. But PJ even reeled in Rodman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty much what many others including myself have said here. But you wrote the Moby version.

Congrats.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And of course for all his gifts he is nowhere near as dominant as MJ, shaq or even Kobe. I just think it's to early to say he will never "get it". I doubt he will but he is still young. I would love to Westbrook play for RC some of the same faults in Russ's game you could have applied to Montae in Gstate. Coaching, matters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty uninsightful thread. This criticism of him has been made thousands of times on this forum alone already

He's just not good at making threads.

My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    OP makes some good points but I just don't see how you can make this thread based off his performance in an All-Star Game. I saw nothing wrong with him playing hard. He's an exciting player and I thought he put on a great show last night. Yes, he shoots more than he should as a PG, but last night was he not playing at the 2? I seem to recall a good portion of his baskets being set up by Chris Paul. The guy made shots when open and threw it down in transition. The way this thread is written you would think he was dribbling for 20 seconds and then forcing up contested jumpers. I understand the criticism of Westbrook's game, my argument is just that you can't look at last night's game and then use that as a reason to make a thread led "Why the Thunder Will Never Win a le with Westbrook". Why not make this kind of thread if he s up in the playoffs?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Congrats.
    yeah im pretty sure most of us have felt that way about WB for awhile now.....one of those people that has to act like he has a chip on his shoulder to play well.

game6westbrookairball.gif

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree. Pop, RC someone like that is EXACTLY what he needs. A athlete like that needs guidance and good coaching and I think it's foolish to write him off early. MJ was (and of course rotator cuff) all benefited from structure and good coaching. Shaq needed it too. He ,may never get it. But he is still pretty young and to say he never will is a bit rash.

I agree the current version does seem like he wont ever figure it out and he seems very stubborn. But PJ even reeled in Rodman.
    He is too old for dat of coaching and mentoring

He is what he is

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    OP makes some good points but I just don't see how you can make this thread based off his performance in an All-Star Game. I saw nothing wrong with him playing hard. He's an exciting player and I thought he put on a great show last night. Yes, he shoots more than he should as a PG, but last night was he not playing at the 2? I seem to recall a good portion of his baskets being set up by Chris Paul. The guy made shots when open and threw it down in transition. The way this thread is written you would think he was dribbling for 20 seconds and then forcing up contested jumpers. I understand the criticism of Westbrook's game, my argument is just that you can't look at last night's game and then use that as a reason to make a thread led "Why the Thunder Will Never Win a le with Westbrook". Why not make this kind of thread if he s up in the playoffs?
    This. If the game means nothing how does it affect OKC being able to win it all? The last Finals they were in he played well probably shot to much but he will never be a pass first Pg. A good, tall passfirst PG (think Prime Kidd) would do wonders and you can move him to SG ...

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Clay Bennett and Scott Brooks are bigger roadblocks for OKC's championship aspirations than Westbrook tbh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Clay Bennett and Scott Brooks are bigger roadblocks for OKC's championship aspirations than Westbrook tbh
    This. OKC may not win a le and Russ may not be the primary reason. if DMC Westbrook will NEVER win a le as a PG or the #1 option that would make more sense.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Request: Can somebody please post the GIF where Westbrook misses the shot and then makes the "guns" gesture with his hands and walks away?

( Westbrick)

Thread Information