My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    BREAKING NEWS: BITCOIN HAS CRASHEED

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess I still have an account there - didn't they spin off to gdx something. I can't even remember - so long ago.

Robin Hood is really easy - only $1k though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    still havent really gotten into trading other than what i have going on in my 401k

i know theyve generally been trending well, but im still skeptical of the concept of investing in crypto. at least with other investments i know theres a business behind it, and they make public filings, etc. like its cool to see how you can make reasoned decisions, ie CC getting involved with pot stocks, etc. but with crypto? i just dont get it. they all just feel like meme stocks

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    still havent really gotten into trading other than what i have going on in my 401k

i know theyve generally been trending well, but im still skeptical of the concept of investing in crypto. at least with other investments i know theres a business behind it, and they make public filings, etc. like its cool to see how you can make reasoned decisions, ie CC getting involved with pot stocks, etc. but with crypto? i just dont get it. they all just feel like meme stocks
    Well, I don't buy and hold. I buy and sell - take my gain and rinse and repeat.

I can see the attraction of this Robin Hood to youngsters - so gimmicky. And this free stock - I hope my brother got a better stock than my $5.21 one. Still $5 is $5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ethereum was down to around 2700 last time I checked. Was thinking of nabbing some before it ticks back up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where do you buy ethereum? A 17% drop? Where can I open an account and fund from my checking account today?
    Lol oh it's on sale let me get my checkbook

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where do you buy ethereum? A 17% drop? Where can I open an account and fund from my checking account today?
    coinmama and coinbase both sell it and other coins. easy to find if you look

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That coinbase account was under hubby's email - no wonder I couldn't reset password - duh. My memory is TERRIBLE these days.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That coinbase account was under hubby's email - no wonder I couldn't reset password - duh. My memory is TERRIBLE these days.
    I've found coinbase to be extremely long, like fricking days, from time to buy until send-ability

coinmama is much faster to buy and send, then send to your coinbase or othe wallet where it is immediately available.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol oh it's on sale let me get my checkbook
    That's right. Pity I didn't notice earlier, but I was working.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's right. Pity I didn't notice earlier, but I was working.
    I think you can buy Ether at TJMaxx too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just picked up Dogecoin. We'll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ethereum was down to around 2700 last time I checked. Was thinking of nabbing some before it ticks back up
    2400 most recently

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Young man, you need to fund a roth ira while you qualify and play around trading an index etf. Leave the purely speculative trading for when you and your future Dr. wife have money to spare.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    I've found coinbase to be extremely long, like fricking days, from time to buy until send-ability

coinmama is much faster to buy and send, then send to your coinbase or othe wallet where it is immediately available.
    Use Coinbase as your wallet and Coinbase Pro to trade. Transaction fees are way less on Pro and Pro allows setting limit buys/sells. Transferring between the two is free.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young man, you need to fund a roth ira while you qualify and play around trading an index etf. Leave the purely speculative trading for when you and your future Dr. wife have money to spare.
    That’s what I’ve been doing. Been making max Roth contributions for a few years now. About 50% in index funds, 25% bonds, and 25% random

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya'll better be buying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

On the tech side, at least with Bitcoin, the design is such that monetary emission becomes more and more scarce as more coins are mined (over time). It is balanced in such a way that very early on inflation outpaces scarcity, which is desirable in many ways. Since the coin is easy to come by, it can be spread around quickly, and that's always a desirable early on in adopting currency. Over time, scarcity overpasses inflation, mined coins are harder to come by and thus the value of coin stock gets higher and higher. This obviously happens only if the coin is desirable as a monetary instrument.

The system has two weaknesses, one currently more real than the other. The first one is that since transactions are based on majority consensus to avoid double-spend, should a bad actor gain control of almost half the network nodes, they could approve double-spend transactions, thus 'creating money'.

The second issue is that the balance of scarcity/inflation is based on proof-of-work that relies on the intractability of reversing hashing functions. In the bitcoin case it's SHA256, in other currencies, different algos. In general, these are well known algorithms with no vulnerabilities. As the network increases the difficulty on the proof of work, more brute forcing of values need to happen, thus slowing the monetary emission rate and increasing scarcity.

However, a shift to quantum computing can make these hash algos technically reversible. They wouldn't be reversible per se in the sense that you would work from the desired result back to the unhashed data, but because quantum computers allow you to explore processing paths in parallel, you can effectively brute force the hash in parallel, until you obtain the desired result.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the tech side, at least with Bitcoin, the design is such that monetary emission becomes more and more scarce as more coins are mined (over time). It is balanced in such a way that very early on inflation outpaces scarcity, which is desirable in many ways. Since the coin is easy to come by, it can be spread around quickly, and that's always a desirable early on in adopting currency. Over time, scarcity overpasses inflation, mined coins are harder to come by and thus the value of coin stock gets higher and higher. This obviously happens only if the coin is desirable as a monetary instrument.

The system has two weaknesses, one currently more real than the other. The first one is that since transactions are based on majority consensus to avoid double-spend, should a bad actor gain control of almost half the network nodes, they could approve double-spend transactions, thus 'creating money'.

The second issue is that the balance of scarcity/inflation is based on proof-of-work that relies on the intractability of reversing hashing functions. In the bitcoin case it's SHA256, in other currencies, different algos. In general, these are well known algorithms with no vulnerabilities. As the network increases the difficulty on the proof of work, more brute forcing of values need to happen, thus slowing the monetary emission rate and increasing scarcity.

However, a shift to quantum computing can make these hash algos technically reversible. They wouldn't be reversible per se in the sense that you would work from the desired result back to the unhashed data, but because quantum computers allow you to explore processing paths in parallel, you can effectively brute force the hash in parallel, until you obtain the desired result.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, you wanted to know how it works...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Avoided this harder than the plague, thankfully.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Use Coinbase as your wallet and Coinbase Pro to trade. Transaction fees are way less on Pro and Pro allows setting limit buys/sells. Transferring between the two is free.
    well, china this week clamped down on crypto coin transactions so can't pay for Chinese stuff for now with crypto coin. China is said to be preparing its own digital crypto coin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almost at 1M with traditional investments.

Keep buying crypto whatever.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s what I’ve been doing. Been making max Roth contributions for a few years now. About 50% in index funds, 25% bonds, and 25% random
    That's the smart thing to do while you're young. Gambling is fun but the power of time is a sure bet.

Thread Information