Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Put together this little highlight reel of Kawhi's run. Thought you guys would enjoy it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Max player doing Max player things

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Max. This. Dude.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two things I love from this video:

1. Kawhi recognizing an inferior defender is on him, and then abusing it. I think part of our system sometimes results in guys opting for passing when in reality they should just go at their man if they have a good matchup.

2. Everyone on the team realizing that Kawhi is getting into a zone and funneling the ball to him. Even when Danny had a decent look, or Parker started a drive, they had Kawhi right off to the side for easy ball movement.

One thing notice is that when we play Dallas, Carlisle has his guys ALL packing the paint as soon as someone starts to get interior penetration. The only guys that don't cheat more than 2-3 steps toward the middle is whoever is on Green, Patty, or Manu. Everyone else dives into the interior to clog easy shots and passing. They're willing to live with open shots from our non-shooters. If we can get players hot and allow them to exert their will over defenders, they won't be able to draw down like that because the double team will destroy the defensive rotation. Kawhi needs to learn to WARP defenses so that they can't get away with collapse schemes like the Mavs run.

All that said, all of these were jump shots. Kawhi needs to know if there's someone undersized on him who's not a great defender, that the ball needs to get flushed or at least he needs to be near the rim finishing.
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 03-30-2015 at 08:59 AM.

Spurs International Expert gilmor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What an asshole this Enrique .. He passed to Kawhi instead of scoring himself..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two things I love from this video:

1. Kawhi recognizing an inferior defender is on him, and then abusing it. I think part of our system sometimes results in guys opting for passing when in reality they should just go at their man if they have a good matchup.
    Exactly. There was one time where he had an open three but took a couple of dribbles to drain a shot from the top of the key where he'd just hit several in a row. Most players that were hot would have probably taken the three (which is fine) but he saw an easier shot for himself and took it.

Was great hearing the crowd recognize him during that run also.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Over 7 FGMs or FTs, Parker gave the last pass on 4, 2 from Green and one was Kawhi creating for himself... but parker does not like him tbh... he was obliged

dominant stretch from Kawhi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Over 7 FGMs or FTs, Parker gave the last pass on 4, 2 from Green and one was Kawhi creating for himself... but parker does not like him tbh... he was obliged

Stupid fans gonna stupid. You just gotta let em be. The Spurs have been winning a lot lately, so they're typically in a pissy mood, which is a bonus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yesterday the short bus was mad at Parker for shooting after he gave the ball to Kawhi for 4 straight buckets. They wanted him to pass to Kawhi because he "had made 15 straight points." I guess they forgot that he would have only had 6 straight points if Parker wouldn't have continued to get him the ball. Lol, why can't they just be happy for a great game for Kawhi and a Spurs win?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's runs like this that make me excited to not yet know his ceiling - the dude has a bright future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Parker's behind the back to Splitter was nice though. It was in pretty tight quarters and maybe lucky that Tiago was able to catch and finish. But it was great timing in the middle of the run. I was just sure that TP was going to try to somehow get that shot up himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yesterday the short bus was mad at Parker for shooting after he gave the ball to Kawhi for 4 straight buckets. They wanted him to pass to Kawhi because he "had made 15 straight points." I guess they forgot that he would have only had 6 straight points if Parker wouldn't have continued to get him the ball. Lol, why can't they just be happy for a great game for Kawhi and a Spurs win?
    Simple. They aren't Spurs fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's runs like this that make me excited to not yet know his ceiling - the dude has a bright future.
    Exciting to see that his thought process is growing so fast as well. Probably at least half of that is due to being in a system that highlights ball movement and unselfish play. SA was the perfect spot for him to land. Hopefully, he recognizes that and wants to have a career with the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some may think of it as a weird comparison, but parts of Kawhi's offensive game are starting to resemble the Denver version of Carmelo Anthony.

Very good in the midpost from the triple threat position. Midrange jumpshots. Working the baseline. Average 3pt shooter. Bully around the rim. Average ball-handling.

I see some similarities and for the most part, that's a good thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol because kawhi wouldnt get 9 more points if not for parker. The majority of those points were dribble pull-ups. Smh this got sasdynasty, cant even say something remotely negative at parker

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Some may think of it as a weird comparison, but parts of Kawhi's offensive game are starting to resemble the Denver version of Carmelo Anthony.

Very good in the midpost from the triple threat position. Midrange jumpshots. Working the baseline. Average 3pt shooter. Bully around the rim. Average ball-handling.

I see some similarities and for the most part, that's a good thing.
    The midpost game that Kawhi is developing certainly reminds one of Melo, but the major difference between the two is that scoring came so naturally for Melo, even dating back to high school. Kawhi has never been that guy. The thing that is so interesting about this "experiment" with Kawhi, if you want to call giving him more one-on-one possessions that, is whether or not is possible to manufacture someone into a go-to perimeter scorer when that is not in their nature and their base offensive skills don't scream "scorer".

Thus far, Kawhi is passing that test with flying colors. His growth has been fantastic and well ahead of the curb. Hard not to be impressed with him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GROSS! Mark Travis. Big time Spur Hater! Remember 2 years ago when the Knicks were going to beat us?!? Because I haven't forgot the garbage you spew.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Put together this little highlight reel of Kawhi's run. Thought you guys would enjoy it.

Mama there goes that man...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker's behind the back to Splitter was nice though. It was in pretty tight quarters and maybe lucky that Tiago was able to catch and finish. But it was great timing in the middle of the run. I was just sure that TP was going to try to somehow get that shot up himself.
    yeah not too bad for the worst passer of the team tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW thanks OP to put that video together

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah not too bad for the worst passer of the team tbh
    I call him the least best passer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why did he only have one FGA after that? Did someone else go into heromode to steal his moment?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I call him the least best passer.
    least best = the worst in a list where you put Beli, Kawhi...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why did he only have one FGA after that? Did someone else go into heromode to steal his moment?
    no but posters like you like to trash no matter what so there is that...

There is nothing in the next possessions that was forced or not in the flow of the game except one transition (and we already talked about it) where Parker was stuck in a messy situation and has been bailed out by the refs.

Parker fed Kawhi on 4 of 7 FGAs going after a mismatch, this is something we know, the rest is ing for the sake of ing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol because kawhi wouldnt get 9 more points if not for parker. The majority of those points were dribble pull-ups. Smh this got sasdynasty, cant even say something remotely negative at parker
    That's not the point bro. The point is Parker could have forced shots but he realized that Kawhi had defensive mismatches and got him the ball over and over and over. Then when Parker had opportunities to score, he took them. Then, when he had Tiago on a break, he dished. It was amazing offense all around and led to us winning the game. Here's what I have bad to say about Parker: he didn't do the same in the first half. He took a few shots that were forced and a few other floaters that didn't go down. He wasn't scoring or assisting at all in the first half...out of rhythm. Then things started falling for him in the second half and when he saw Kawhi getting hot (scoring 6 in a row), he got the ball to him the next 4 possessions.

I'm not sure how long you guys have been watching the Spurs but this elite level of play isn't going to last forever. Maybe you guys didn't have to endure the Robinson era or worse, just before it. But if winning games and championships isn't enough for you guys, it's going to be rough for you when the time comes when we aren't a contender every year.

Thread Information