Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have an Acer GSYNCH 144hz, 1440 P, IPS monitor and honestly, I don't notice a huge difference from my old TN 1080p monitor. Games like Far Cry and the Vanishing of Ethan Carter still have stuttering and tearing. I'm not unhappy with the monitor, but I don't get the hype.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have an Acer GSYNCH 144hz, 1440 P, IPS monitor and honestly, I don't notice a huge difference from my old TN 1080p monitor. Games like Far Cry and the Vanishing of Ethan Carter still have stuttering and tearing. I'm not unhappy with the monitor, but I don't get the hype.
    What GPU(s) are you running to not see any difference with G-Sync? You're literally the first person I have ever read say that GSync doesn't make a difference. I don't think it's fair to judge it by Far Cry 4, that game has microstutter on every system out there pretty much, I mean it's Ubisoft. That game won't play smooth with dual 980s and a heavily overclocked 4690k (still a really fun game though).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What GPU(s) are you running to not see any difference with G-Sync? You're literally the first person I have ever read say that GSync doesn't make a difference. I don't think it's fair to judge it by Far Cry 4, that game has microstutter on every system out there pretty much, I mean it's Ubisoft. That game won't play smooth with dual 980s and a heavily overclocked 4690k (still a really fun game though).
    2 GeForce 780 GTX SLI

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way it's running correctly then. Trust me if it was working there is no way in you will have tearing, and stuttering will only happen when you drop to like 45 FPS or less in game. It might be a few different things:

1. Make sure you have G-Sync enabled in the control panel

2. Make sure the game you're running has in game V-Sync off. This is a common issue and will be a stuttery mess if you don't catch this.

3. Fresh express install the Nvidia driver before playing to be sure it's on.

Sometimes the G-Sync on my monitor stops working even though it's activated, and I have to reinstall the driver to make sure it's working. Not sure if it's an Acer monitor issue, or a GPU problem, but it happens. I have a feeling this s up when the PC goes to sleep and the monitor shuts itself off. This monitor and Windows 8 makes the notification tone like when you plug something in or disconnect when it sleeps, and then I have the issue. I may open a ticket w/ Acer to ask them about it.

An easy way to test that it's on is go into your control panel under Manage 3D settings > Preferred Refresh Rate > and change to application controlled. Now in game try changing from 144hz or 120hz down to 60hz, you should see that the G-sync locks your framerate to the chosen framerate you select in game.Use Shadowplay or FRAPS or whatever so you can monitor your framerate. If the frame rate is running higher than you selected, G-Sync is obviously not syncing itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 GeForce 780 GTX SLI
    I always figured GSync made more sense for single card owners so you could play at settings that could drop you into the 42-45 FPS range without noticing, which obviously isn't a concern with SLI 780 except in really CPU bound games. The tearing would annoy the out of me though. I can't play a game without either vsync or adaptive vsync on. 100 fps on a 60 Hz screen looks as bad as 40 fps to me, and then if you're close to a building or something and turn the tearing looks awful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way it's running correctly then. Trust me if it was working there is no way in you will have tearing, and stuttering will only happen when you drop to like 45 FPS or less in game. It might be a few different things:

1. Make sure you have G-Sync enabled in the control panel

2. Make sure the game you're running has in game V-Sync off. This is a common issue and will be a stuttery mess if you don't catch this.

3. Fresh express install the Nvidia driver before playing to be sure it's on.

Sometimes the G-Sync on my monitor stops working even though it's activated, and I have to reinstall the driver to make sure it's working. Not sure if it's an Acer monitor issue, or a GPU problem, but it happens. I have a feeling this s up when the PC goes to sleep and the monitor shuts itself off. This monitor and Windows 8 makes the notification tone like when you plug something in or disconnect when it sleeps, and then I have the issue. I may open a ticket w/ Acer to ask them about it.

An easy way to test that it's on is go into your control panel under Manage 3D settings > Preferred Refresh Rate > and change to application controlled. Now in game try changing from 144hz or 120hz down to 60hz, you should see that the G-sync locks your framerate to the chosen framerate you select in game.Use Shadowplay or FRAPS or whatever so you can monitor your framerate. If the frame rate is running higher than you selected, G-Sync is obviously not syncing itself.
    It must not be working correctly, then. Because I'll get stuttering in GTA V when the frames drop from 60 to 30, crossing into an area of the game where performance takes a huge dump. I noticed when I set the in game settings to lock at 59 Hz, I still seem to get 70 FPS or so. So I guess...that's proof it's not working?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It must not be working correctly, then. Because I'll get stuttering in GTA V when the frames drop from 60 to 30, crossing into an area of the game where performance takes a huge dump. I noticed when I set the in game settings to lock at 59 Hz, I still seem to get 70 FPS or so. So I guess...that's proof it's not working?
    GTA V should not drop from 60 to 30, sounds like you have V-Sync turned on in game. Reinstall your driver and make sure you have your refresh rate set in the control panel to 144 hz. That option is under resolution. In game you should also set it to 144 hz, and turn off MSAA to get a decent framerate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aren't you supposed to turn off all ingame frame limiters with GSync?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aren't you supposed to turn off all ingame frame limiters with GSync?
    No, you can choose a frame rate in game and still have it run smooth, it's just V-Sync that needs to be off. It's just when you have both FPS set to 144 hz it will allow your game to run as high as it can but will still give you that added smoothness if your game drops below 60.

Thread Information