My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cruz Renews Assault on GOP Leaders From Senate Floor

GOP presidential candidate Ted Cruz took to the floor of the U.S. Senate for an hour on Monday night to again criticize the leadership of his party and to expand the scope of his criticism to include outgoing House Speaker John Boehner and Texas' senior Senator, John Cornyn.

Cruz, wrote the Tribune's Abby Livingston, "specifically called out Cornyn, along with a handful of other senior Republican senators, for voting down a Cruz amendment targeting funding for Planned Parenthood and the Iran nuclear weapons deal via voice vote. In contrast, Cruz cast himself and conservative senators and House members who frequently vote with him as the only elected members performing their jobs with the will of the American public in mind."

The speech, which was given to a nearly empty Senate chamber, was filled with several cultural references, a rhetorical device similar to his famous 2013 filibuster during which he read from Dr. Seuss.

Cruz's renewed assault on his party's leadership comes as his campaign pursues an "unconventional in modern Republican politics" strategy toward collecting delegates in March's Texas primary.

The campaign, as Livingston writes, is looking to maximize delegate counts rather than the traditional strategy of winning states. The Cruz gambit is helped by the fact that his home state of Texas will award its delegates on a proportional basis and that it is the biggest prize among the raft of presidential nominating contest set to take place across the South on March 1.

"We’re working ... to do everything possible to bank those 155 [Texas] delegates on March 1," Cruz's chief strategist, Jason Johnson, told Livingston. "If we’re able to do so, the odds are that Ted is the conservative standing after March 15 to square off against whoever the establishment candidate is at that point."

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/09/...eid=d070f58998

Religion makes you Krazy

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake -- which of these is your twitter account?
    Do you live in San Antonio?

If you do you should understand that there are plenty of Christians who want to throw up when Hagee is mentioned.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, actually.

Flat tax would be neutral, all things equal.

The flat tax proposals I have seen have been fairly straightforward, with generous exemptions for the poor.

The overall benefits to the economy in terms of reducing a lot of the cost associated with filing taxes would arguably help.

I would agree that most conservatives really don't care about poor people, even when those conservatives are themselves poor, but the flat tax is an idea that stands out as something that deserves bipartisan support, IMO.
    if flat tax plan has exemptions for the low end, then it's not flat.

As with any oligarchy tax plan (including Donny T's), flat tax is meant to reduce taxes on the wealthy while increasing taxes on the non-wealthy, esp the poor so that the poor have "some skin in the game" rather than being just freeloaders, takers, criminal frauds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if flat tax plan has exemptions for the low end, then it's not flat.

As with any oligarchy tax plan (including Donny T's), flat tax is meant to reduce taxes on the wealthy while increasing taxes on the non-wealthy, esp the poor so that the poor have "some skin in the game" rather than being just freeloaders, takers, criminal frauds.
    "flat" in terms of progressivity, no.

It is easy though to apply the same rate to everyone, and be "flat" in that regard, but still give the exemptions that make the flat tax a progressive one, instead of regressive in terms of income and fairness.

Trumps plan is garbage, and he knows it. Brings to mind the old saw about "useful idiots", when I see people support it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "flat" in terms of progressivity, no.

It is easy though to apply the same rate to everyone, and be "flat" in that regard, but still give the exemptions that make the flat tax a progressive one, instead of regressive in terms of income and fairness.

Trumps plan is garbage, and he knows it. Brings to mind the old saw about "useful idiots", when I see people support it.

What, specifically, makes it garbage?

I wouldn't mind paying 20% instead of 28%, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... it's from Donny T

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I wouldn't mind paying 20% instead of 28%, tbh.

What would this largesse cost? Mr Bush’s number crunchers reckoned his plan, which is modest in comparison, would reduce annual receipts by $376 billion, or about 7.5%, by 2025, before accounting for its effect on the economy. Allow—optimistically—for a boost to growth of half a percentage point per year, and the cost falls by two thirds. Mr Trump provides no such detailed estimates but claims, incredibly, that his plan pays for itself. In his press conference, Mr Trump suggested that under his stewardship, the economy might achieve annual growth of five or six percent. That would certainly pay for huge tax cuts, but is a fantasy.

Mr Trump does suggest some new sources of revenue. He would eliminate many tax deductions, most of which remain unspecified. In particular, the controversial “carried interest” deduction, beloved of partners in private equity firms and hedge funds, would go. This raises, perhaps, $1 billion-2 billion. But Mr Bush promised this too, so it was included in his costings. Mr Trump would cap the tax-deductibility of debt interest. But Mr Bush would abolish it altogether, saving more. The only part of Mr Trump’s plan which is clearly cheaper than Mr Bush’s pertains to the overseas profits of American corporations. Unlike Mr Bush, Mr Trump would keep taxing these earnings (though companies will no longer be able to defer paying until the money is brought back, ending the incentive to stash cash overseas).

Mr Trump is supposed to be a new kind of politician; a straight-talker who, freed from the usual constraints of politics by his billions, tells it like it is. But promising to fund tax cuts by closing unspecified loopholes is an old political wheeze. Mr Trump says the country’s “top” economists helped to develop his plan; alas, for now they remain anonymous. Any contributor would be wise to stay in the background. Mr Trump’s plan is twaddle.
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ...9/trumponomics

"Twaddle" This from a rather staid, English publication. That is about as harsh as I have ever seen the Economist get. It is about like anyone else saying " ing nonsensical bull ".

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Donny T's garbage is based on the same garbage as ALL Repugs: cutting taxes stimulates the economy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, as it currently stands, I'm highly discouraged from ever making $150K or more. Holy , 40%?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, as it currently stands, I'm highly discouraged from ever making $150K or more. Holy , 40%?
    you don't know how taxes work, do you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got it from the Economist link.

"The plan burnishes Mr Trump’s Republican credentials by giving high earners whacking tax cuts. Individuals earning more than $150,000 will see their marginal tax rate fall from close to 40% now to 25%"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got it from the Economist link.

"The plan burnishes Mr Trump’s Republican credentials by giving high earners whacking tax cuts. Individuals earning more than $150,000 will see their marginal tax rate fall from close to 40% now to 25%"
    Right. So you don't know how taxes work. The term "marginal" is the key. Look it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. So you don't know how taxes work. The term "marginal" is the key. Look it up.

Yeah, because nobody understands marginal tax rates. The maths are so hard!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, because nobody understands marginal tax rates. The maths are so hard!
    Anyone who would make that first statement does not know how marginal tax rates work. Period. End of discussion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who would make that first statement does not know how marginal tax rates work. Period. End of discussion.
    Me: holy , 40% (as in, 40% > 25%)

s: You don't understand how marginal tax rates work!

Meh, whatever.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tell you what, you take your 149k and send me the rest, I will gladly pay the 40% taxes on those dollars.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ted Cruz Has No Friends And Everybody Hates Him

Awwww, are all the other Republicans being mean to Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Canada) again and pulling his pigtails and telling him he cannot eat his PB&J at their table in the cafeteria, because what a loser, YOU SUCK, TED? Why yes, indeed, they are doing that. Again:

Ted Cruz can’t even get a protest vote in the Senate anymore.

On Monday night, Cruz’s colleagues ignored his attempt to disrupt Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s efforts to fund the government without attacking Planned Parenthood.

You may recall the last time Cruz tried to hijack the Senate to push his presidential campaign platform of Vote Cruz To Make His Dry-Drunk Daddy The Lord God Our King Of The Supreme Court.

Cruz was all butthurt in July because Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was not trying hard enough to defund Planned Parenthood or even issuing idle threats to shut down the government, what a RINO.

McConnell, like his run-out-of-town-on-a-rail pal Speaker John Boehner, is aware that his Democratic colleagues will never allow Congress to enact such a bill, and even if the entire Blue Team called in dead on the day of the vote, President Obama would veto the blazing spitballs out of that sucker, SO THERE IS NO FRIGGIN’ POINT.

(Also, side note, as you know, a huge majority of Americans really do want their taxpayer buckeroos to keep going to Planned Parenthood, please and thank you.)

Read more at http://wonkette.com/594376/ted-cruz-...vAZypSmw0LI.99

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am going to guess not. DarrinS never fails to fail. It is the easiest thing to do, and he does it with such an unself-conscious elan...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "highly discouraged"

Nobody here, and I mean nobody, believes you would turn down the extra $30k per year you would earn if someone was stupid enough to offer your dumb ass a $200,000 a year job.

GMAFB.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ted Cruz Has No Friends And Everybody Hates Him

Awwww, are all the other Republicans being mean to Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Canada) again and pulling his pigtails and telling him he cannot eat his PB&J at their table in the cafeteria, because what a loser, YOU SUCK, TED? Why yes, indeed, they are doing that. Again:

Ted Cruz can’t even get a protest vote in the Senate anymore.

On Monday night, Cruz’s colleagues ignored his attempt to disrupt Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s efforts to fund the government without attacking Planned Parenthood.

You may recall the last time Cruz tried to hijack the Senate to push his presidential campaign platform of Vote Cruz To Make His Dry-Drunk Daddy The Lord God Our King Of The Supreme Court.

Cruz was all butthurt in July because Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was not trying hard enough to defund Planned Parenthood or even issuing idle threats to shut down the government, what a RINO.

McConnell, like his run-out-of-town-on-a-rail pal Speaker John Boehner, is aware that his Democratic colleagues will never allow Congress to enact such a bill, and even if the entire Blue Team called in dead on the day of the vote, President Obama would veto the blazing spitballs out of that sucker, SO THERE IS NO FRIGGIN’ POINT.

(Also, side note, as you know, a huge majority of Americans really do want their taxpayer buckeroos to keep going to Planned Parenthood, please and thank you.)

Read more at http://wonkette.com/594376/ted-cruz-...vAZypSmw0LI.99

ROFL.... Ok, gotta admire the good turn of phrase by wonkettes writer...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus, like Boehner, he is kinda sick of being bossed around by these uber-conservative newbies who do not understand how Being A Grown-Up Congressperson is supposed to work. (Hahaha, maybe you Republican Party jerkholes shouldn’t have sucked on all those teabags, back when you thought those screeching extremists might help ins ute a permanent Republican majority!)
    In July, when Cruz did not get his way, he had hisself a right hissy fit and called McConnell a stupid dumb-dumb liar, and then Cruz’s Republican colleagues — from his own Republican Party — spent their weekend calling Cruz a stupid dumb-dumb stump and saying shade-throwing words like, “We must ensure that the pernicious trend of turning the Senate floor into a forum for advancing personal ambitions, for promoting political campaigns, or for enhancing fundraising activities comes to a stop.” And boy, that was a Sunday funday for everyone who was not Ted Cruz!
    Cruz really makes it embarrassing to be a Texan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ROFL.... Ok, gotta admire the good turn of phrase by wonkettes writer...
    Funny... I actually think colloquial, snarky "journalism" like this is one of the principal roots of un-constructive partisan polarization. Different strokes, I guess.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny... I actually think colloquial, snarky "journalism" like this is one of the principal roots of un-constructive partisan polarization. Different strokes, I guess.
    yes, the Krazy Kruz perpetrator of Christian Sharia, right wing extremism, etc CREATED the polarization. Wonkette is simply trashing him for his, and his ed up pastor father's Kraziness, which is really being too kind.

Thread Information