Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    OAKLAND, Calif. -- After the quasi game against Denver ended, Warriors coach Steve Kerr said, “We should absolutely take a few moments to celebrate what has been just a fantastic regular season.” This isn’t a bad idea.

While it’s tempting to just move along to the postseason, to declare the Warriors frauds and failures should they stumble in the next chapter, I prefer to take stock of what’s transpired over these months. In a very short period of time, the Warriors went from playoff hopeful to juggernaut, all with the same roster. It was a staggering feat that deserves some praise.

So ends the greatest regular season in Warriors history, and possibly the greatest Western Conference season since 1972. We’ve gotten slowly inured to what Golden State’s accomplished because they’ve been so steady in their success. And yet, if I’d told you this would happen back in October, it would have been a shocking declaration. Our own ESPN Forecast had the Warriors projected as a 49-win seventh seed. It wasn’t an unreasonable expectation either, given that Golden State had just hired a rookie coach and passed on trading for Kevin Love.

This was supposed to be a humbling season for Golden State. They would learn the downside of firing a popular coach. They would suffer the embarrassment of overrating their own talent like a myopic little league dad. Klay Thompson, you might remember, had never notched an above average PER. The Warriors’ refusal to part with him for a theoretical superstar was popularly derided (Indeed I was pro trade). To top it off, owner Joe Lacob had just hired his golf buddy to coach the operation. The Warriors were complacent. The Warriors were fools.

This was supposed to be a disappointing season. Instead, it was a magnificent one. Kerr said of the players, “They’ve been amazing,” and it’s true. The Warriors are fortunate to have a core of players who’ve worked hard to develop their games. It hardly needs saying that Stephen Curry has impressed most of all. This has been a meteoric rise for a guy that, as recently as three years ago, was getting benched for Acie Law’s contributions. He’s weathered many storms, from Don Nelson, to Keith Smart, to Mark Jackson. He’s done it professionally, without making enemies, while improving incrementally, regardless of cir stance. Three years ago, he wasn’t even thought to be a future star. These days, Kerr compares him to Steve Nash and Tim Duncan. Stephen Curry has earned such comparisons.

The infrastructure aiding player development deserves its plaudits. The Warriors hired top line assistant coaches in Alvin Gentry and Ron Adams. Perhaps it’s just coincidence but the following Warriors improved their play this season: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Harrison Barnes, Draymond Green, Andrew Bogut, Mo Speights, and Festus Ezeli. You could also talk me into Andre Iguodala if we’re leaning on his post All-Star break play.

Kerr has not only impressed as a rookie coach, but also as a manager who’s always been quick to deflect credit elsewhere. This was a problem with last season’s coaching staff, which wasn’t short on back-biting and ego. If there is a lesson from this season, it might be that ego is the enemy in sports -- ironic considering how confident athletes are and how fame ultimately comes with success. GM Bob Myers avoided trading Klay Thompson because he respected opinions throughout the front office. Steve Kerr had unprecedented winning as a rookie coach because he relies on smart people he trusts. Curry feeds Thompson when attempting to wrest his teammate from the occasional slump.
    Corny, but true: In what was supposed to be a humbling season, Golden State crushed expectations by relying on one another. That’s worth remembering, regardless of what happens next.
    Good read tbh for one of the 7 best teams of all time and a dynasty in the making
    Stevie Johnson get in here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'll be side by side with the clippers and thunder dynasties.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Next, they should do a salute on all the playoff success that this Warriors core has had... oh wait.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dont forget the nash rng suns

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    first round exit would be the best thing ever

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last time a team won 67 games, they got bumped in the 1st round of the playoffs.

The Most Sexy Troll on the Interwebs Hemotivo's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Last time a team won 67 games, they got bumped in the 1st round of the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Our own ESPN Forecast had the Warriors projected as a 49-win seventh seed."

You gotta appreciate the honesty of the article...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the Warriors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Our own ESPN Forecast had the Warriors projected as a 49-win seventh seed."

You gotta appreciate the honesty of the article...
    Did they know the Warriors would have a white coach?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can you call them "one of the 7 best teams of all time" when they haven't played a playoff game yet?

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    How can you call them "one of the 7 best teams of all time" when they haven't played a playoff game yet?
    Regular season adv metrics wise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regular season adv metrics wise
    And you're predicting a dynasty based on regular season metrics? They might just be another 07 Mavs

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    And you're predicting a dynasty based on regular season metrics? They might just be another 07 Mavs
    lol thinking the 07 Mavs had budding talent even remotely comparable to this team's

Mark Price>you Cleveland Steamer's Avatar
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Meh. Seen better.

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Simply a dynasty in the making tbh

Barring injury, not sure who's gonna beat them next year

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simply a dynasty in the making tbh

Barring injury, not sure who's gonna beat them next year
    LMAO,,,

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    LOL your bitter wrinkly old ass

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL your bitter wrinkly old ass
    Bitter,,,,yes,,,,wrinkly,,,yes,,,old,,,yes,,,,,nai led it, you lucky .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can beat them if Aldridge joins and Parker suffers a season-ending injury IMO..

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Spurs can beat them if Aldridge joins and Parker suffers a season-ending injury IMO..
    & you extend the restraining order on Amy.

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    & you extend the restraining order on Amy.
    She's on Holt's payroll right now tbh

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    She's on Holt's payroll right now tbh
    Yep, livin' high on the hog.

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Good read tbh for one of the 7 best teams of all time and a dynasty in the making

Next, they should do a salute on all the playoff success that this Warriors core has had... oh wait.
    dont forget the nash rng suns
    first round exit would be the best thing ever

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    One thing about them is definitely true, they came from nowhere to become this good. They are the model the Celtics should aspire to.

Thread Information