Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know that if my picture ever appears on TV, I would not want it to be when my body is in a repulsive, rotting state. I do think it is callous and extremely disrespectful to show gruesome images of people in such horrible condition. You can show them covered with a blanket. Everyone deserves a measure of dignity... even when they are dead.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dan, now why don't you just get back to one of your beheading videos (I'm sure you've downloaded a few)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know that if my picture ever appears on TV, I would not want it to be when my body is in a repulsive, rotting state. I do think it is callous and extremely disrespectful to show gruesome images of people in such horrible condition. You can show them covered with a blanket. Everyone deserves a measure of dignity... even when they are dead.
    Well said Jelly!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    To bad this is about dead people, but I am not for censorship,
    can you all see my point?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Due to my diving expertise and a lack of local resources in Houston and surrounding areas, they were trying to recruit divers for search and rescue/recovery teams to be deployed in the Houston area in case of a plane crash in a lake, drownings, etc.

At the end of the recruiting process it was laid out that water and what's in it does bad things to a body, and a lot of rescuers had serious problems dealing with that. SO they said it was part of their procedures and a requirement before we could begin training that we had to see some pics - a day after submergence, a week, two weeks, a month, a year.

At the time we were all thinking "how bad could it be?" Pretty bad. One of the guys actually puked. Trust me, it's not a pleasant site - water rots the flesh, fish eat skin, chemicals eat skin, you don't want any part of that showing up on the front page of Express News.

Again, having seen it, it's not something I wish on anyone. I've already seen bodies floating face down thanks to CNN, Dallas Morning News, New York Times, etc. Don't need to see a body with the face rotted off on the front page one Sunday, and neither does the rest of America.

mouse you're a funny guy and I have no ill will towards you over anything, but this is one place I think FEMA has got it right (one of the few in the aftermath of this disaster).
    Dam good post, ^

You guys make it sound Like I get off on Gore, and death, It's not like I am going to be glued to the TV with a bag of pork skins in my hand,

Like I said why not put a black Dot to cover the bodies? Did you notice they showed many dead people on the bridge, and in wheel chairs? I really don't want to see anything dead, Dog , or human, In fact I have a spam sandwich here I still can't eat since this topic was started,

I just don't think censorship is the right move, what about freedom of the press? Is that not an American right, what many have died defending?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This flood is a real downer...........

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All that said, I have no problem with body bags. But this original article seems to take issue with the government not wanting cameras along for boat rides when they're recovering the bodies.

There's no reason for the press to be there for that, and going on two weeks now since the disaster I don't think any of the images they could come up with are going to be suitable for anyone this side of sanity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only purpose those pictures would serve is to sell magazines or hoist ratings, so a bunch of strangers can gawk over others' tragedy.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This flood is a real downer...........

You know, the "Debbie Downer" handle has a lot of potential that I don't believe is being fully tapped.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some of the pics I've seen of compassionate Bush are enough to make me barf up a lung.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I am still waiting on my FEMA screen name to be activated.

I don't know what takes longer Kori, or FEMA

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some of the pics I've seen of compassionate Bush are enough to make me barf up a lung.
    Really? A moment caught in the click of a shutter... You're easily nauseated.

Believe.
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    I wonder if pictures of Monica blowing Clinton would be just as bad,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Death is a part of life and anyone who can't see that the real reason FEMA does not want pictures taken is that it will show how tragic this disaster was. Those who do not wish to see can continue to be blind to the reality of the situation.

Stand-up philosopher CharlieMac's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only purpose those pictures would serve is to sell magazines or hoist ratings, so a bunch of strangers can gawk over others' tragedy.
    That's it plain and simple.

I think we can all agree that there is nothing wrong with showing a dead body covered, or in a bodybag, not that we need to see that but you know, whatever gets the ratings.

However pics of bloated bodies on teh front page of CNN.com? Unneccassary.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CNN probably wouldn't show them on the front page. It would be bad business.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Death is a part of life and anyone who can't see that the real reason FEMA does not want pictures taken is that it will show how tragic this disaster was. Those who do not wish to see can continue to be blind to the reality of the situation.

It doesn't take horrifying pictures of people that have parished in a disaster that wiped out a 90,000 square mile area including a major metropolitain American city to enlighten people to the reality of the situation.

I'd take extreme exception to people gawking over a picture of a friend or loved one of mine that had met that type of demise.

The purpose of those types of pictures is not to educate people...they are to shock and horrify them so they can't turn away....like people on the highway approaching an accident looking for blood on the ground. They have a word for people like that....they're called rubber-neckers. And they buy magazines and watch the news. Gore sells magazines and increases ratings, and if you think otherwise, well....I don't know what to tell you.

The body bags and what they've shown so far has been disturbing enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude I can handle the carnage...

If you can live thru a George Romero movie....

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not blinded by the reality of the situation. I do, however, have images of bodies submerged for anywhere from a day to a year seared into my brain. Can you say the same?

Again, there is no good, sane, justification anyone can have for wanting those pics out there.

Quit with the politics , America doesn't need to see those pics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another dumb argument. No media would show the bodies anyhow, and
    Dan as usual you are full of yourself. They never showed any bodies after
    9/11.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't take horrifying pictures of people that have parished in a disaster that wiped out a 90,000 square mile area including a major metropolitain American city to enlighten people to the reality of the situation.
    Was that a sick attempt at humor or just a freudian slip?

And nobody is making "America" see this for you have the right to NOT read the papers, NOT watch TV and just listen to the radio and make up your own images in your head.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

...and images of hundreds, if not thousands, of body bags wouldn't make that clear?

I know if I had someone close to me die due to that storm the last thing I'd want is to see an image of their corpse spread all over the internets.

And I very well could have. Just found out last Friday morning I didn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was that a sick attempt at humor or just a freudian slip?

And nobody is making "America" see this for you have the right to NOT read the papers, NOT watch TV and just listen to the radio and make up your own images in your head.

It was a typo.

There is no logical, humane reason whatsoever for those pictures. But I guess those people and their families don't deserve any respect or compassion because some sick, twisted freaks can't find enough gore on the internet.

Whatever.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Personally, I can do without looking at bodies that have been sitting in diseased water for 9 days. They won't even look human.

Thread Information