Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, then, you should cash out, wait for that crash and buy cheap (if you are right).
    Pretty much. Paying down debt and biding time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    buybacks may not be in the interest of the shareholders, long term

To get a better understanding of the impact of buybacks, we set out to compare the performance of companies that rely heavily on repurchasing shares with those that do not. Our study, “Secular Stagnation”, examined 1,839 public companies in the United States over a five-year time‐scale. We found that the more money a firm spends on buybacks, the less likely it is to grow over the long-term. In fact, as the chart below makes clear, we discovered that not only do buybacks not lead to growth in a company’s market value, they are strongly correlated to a declining market value.
    https://knowledge.insead.edu/economi...e-suicide-7071

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    buybacks may not be in the interest of the shareholders, long term

https://knowledge.insead.edu/economi...e-suicide-7071
    short-termism, taxes are low, so dump all profits into buybacks, dividends, (not research, or investment). Corporate execs are heavily compensated in stocks so they cook the books every qtr to fake profits, and/or move pension reserves into operating finances.

short-termers don't care about eventual corporate disease and/or death. it's Grab The Money, All The Time (as bad as p/e predators)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As the Data Show, Higher Corporate Profits Mean Higher Investment (Not)

http://cepr.net/blogs/beat-the-press...investment-not

iow, "we would invest more if taxes were cut" is a business lie.

low taxes means higher profits which are creamed off to investors and buybacks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "we're too dependent on Taiwan"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    takers, not makers, tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now Congress/Biden, aka taxpayers, giving US chip mfrs $10Bs to invest

low taxes = buybacks, no investment, then taxpayers bail out chip mfrs with $10Bs to invest.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If US chip mfrs want capital to invest, then raise capital in the markets, issue stock, but not from the pockets of taxpayers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now Congress/Biden, aka taxpayers, giving US chip mfrs $10Bs to invest

low taxes = buybacks, no investment, then taxpayers bail out chip mfrs with $10Bs to invest.
    Biden isn't repealing the Trump tax cuts.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden isn't repealing the Trump tax cuts.
    How do you feel about that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    once upon a time stock buybacks used to be strictly illegal, but this would be a start.

buybacks mainly serve to enrich upper level managers and investors without any concrete benefit for productive capacity, innovation or society at large.

Democrats Eye Taxing Stock Buybacks and Partnerships to Pay for Agenda

Senate Democrats say a 2 percent tax on the money companies use to buy back stocks and tightened rules around taxing partnerships would raise $270 billion for their $3.5 trillion social policy bill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    financialization squeezes profits for upper management and investors at the expense of productive capacity -- the real economy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    once upon a time stock buybacks used to be strictly illegal, but this would be a start.

buybacks mainly serve to enrich upper level managers and investors without any concrete benefit for productive capacity, innovation or society at large.

[FONT="]Democrats Eye Taxing Stock Buybacks and Partnerships to Pay for Agenda

[/FONT]

Senate Democrats say a 2 percent tax on the money companies use to buy back stocks and tightened rules around taxing partnerships would raise $270 billion for their $3.5 trillion social policy bill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    financialization squeezes profits for upper management and investors at the expense of productive capacity -- the real economy

I get the feeling we may actually see some resurgence in US manufacturing.

I seriously wonder what effect all the stock buy backs have collectively on reducing the number of outstanding shares available for trading.

Fewer shares = more volatile.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "we're too dependent on Taiwan"

TSMC is by far the best fab in the world and their 7nm process just wipes the floor with Samsung's 8nm process. It's one of the reasons why AMD gaming gpus actually consume less power than Nvidia's for once even though Nvidia has way better engineers, because AMD bought out a ton of TSMC's 7nm production and Nvidia had to go to Samsung instead. Intel is even worse, their new processes have been failure after failure to the point they have had to slash prices to the bone to compete with AMD's way better cpus on TSMC 7nm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TSMC is by far the best fab in the world and their 7nm process just wipes the floor with Samsung's 8nm process. It's one of the reasons why AMD gaming gpus actually consume less power than Nvidia's for once even though Nvidia has way better engineers, because AMD bought out a ton of TSMC's 7nm production and Nvidia had to go to Samsung instead. Intel is even worse, their new processes have been failure after failure to the point they have had to slash prices to the bone to compete with AMD's way better cpus on TSMC 7nm.
    Making that people want and need is the real economy. Buying and selling financial products isn't productive unless the profits fund production.
    i

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how is gutting profitable newpapers good business?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samsung is a hole run like a concentration camp.

But as far as ramping up production, fabs in the US not named Samsung (meaning owned by shareholders) are always somewhere in the cycle of hiring and laying off. They get a big order, they hire. TSMC takes the order, they lay off. On and on. It's extremely expensive to retool for smaller linewidths and larger wafers. In fact many if not most fabs in the US cannot convert, they have to rebuild from the ground up because the foundation and layout won't support the needs of the technology, like stability for photolithography, power needs and cleanroom requirements/automation. It becomes an issue of "we have a huge order we could fulfill in 6 months with a 8" fab or 2 months with a 300mm, and they look at the cost of conversion and it's not worth it if the orders aren't guaranteed to keep coming.
    Last edited by DMC; 10-16-2021 at 10:44 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Private Equity Funds, Sensing Profit in Tumult, Are Propping Up Oil

These secretive investment companies have pumped billions of dollars into fossil fuel projects, buying up offshore platforms, building new pipelines and extending lifelines to coal power plants.

Since 2010, the private equity industry has invested at least $1.1 trillion into the energy sector

double the combined market value of three of the world’s largest energy companies, Exxon, Chevron and Royal Dutch S

Only about 12 percent of investment in the energy sector by private equity firms went into renewable power, like solar or wind, since 2010,

Private equity investors are taking advantage of an oil industry facing heat from environmental groups, courts, and even their own shareholders to start shifting away from fossil fuels, the major force behind climate change.

As a result, many oil companies have begun shedding some of their dirtiest assets, which
    have oftenended upin the handsof private equity-backed firms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/13/c...sil-fuels.html

Destructive, predatory Capitalism really sucks, will destroy or kill anything or anybody to amass more Capital

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Making that people want and need is the real economy. Buying and selling financial products isn't productive unless the profits fund production.
    i
    Money making money is neoliberal Capitalism. Inhuman, sterile, surgical, bloodless, destructive, but fantastic for the Capitalists.

Capitalists buy companies, and now one Capitalist predator is buying newspapers, load them up with debt, strip/liquidate their assets, kill jobs, pension obligations dumped on taxpayers.

When there's no more money to extract, Capitalists leave their victims weak and heading toward dissolution.

=================

U.S. Billionaires Wealth Surged by 70%, or $2.1 Trillion, During Pandemic;

They Are Now Worth a Combined $5 Trillion

https://www.commondreams.org/newswir...c-they-are-now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stock buybacks were illegal until the 1980s when the oligarchy bribed them into legality

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Predatory extraction

https://twitter.com/RudyHavenstein/status/1700201544552165709?s=20

Thread Information