Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. He looks underwhelming and not ready. Spurs brought him in for summer league and then encouraged him to return to Europe. They must have seen he's clearly not ready. I am distinction in the LJC wait/see in a couple of seasons.

What I don't like is that the same as Livio, he's not playing much in a foreign league, which is not a good sign at all...
    Olympiacos and ASVEL are in two different leagues (literally, but more importantly, figuratively). Milutinov not playing is not a huge deal on a team that has a legit roster. ASVEL is like the d-league compared to Olympiacos. Nikola would probably start for that team. He's not ready, but he should be brought over soon anyway. He's not as far away as he may seem, and time in Austin would show that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Olympiacos and ASVEL are in two different leagues (literally, but more importantly, figuratively). Milutinov not playing is not a huge deal on a team that has a legit roster. ASVEL is like the d-league compared to Olympiacos. Nikola would probably start for that team. He's not ready, but he should be brought over soon anyway. He's not as far away as he may seem, and time in Austin would show that.
    I just dislike young prospects not playing much. No matter if the level of difficulty is tougher if he's barely playing he's not getting that many chances to learn.

It doesn't help slowmo that he's in the NBA if he's not playing either. Not to turn this into a slowmo thread but young guys have to play to get better.

I know you meant it in the sense that his not playing doesn't mean he's not a good prospect (Livio not playing in a worse league than these 3 in comparison was a probable red alert alarm sign... Milutinov might have a yellow alarm sign.) But it's no matter: I am of the opinion young guys need to play to improve. I am not encouraged by this development with Milutinov. Might not matter yet, but at this rate he might not be that different next season either... I hope to be wrong of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just dislike young prospects not playing much. No matter if the level of difficulty is tougher if he's barely playing he's not getting that many chances to learn.

It doesn't help slowmo that he's in the NBA if he's not playing either. Not to turn this into a slowmo thread but young guys have to play to get better.

I know you meant it in the sense that his not playing doesn't mean he's not a good prospect (Livio not playing in a worse league than these 3 in comparison was a probable red alert alarm sign... Milutinov might have a yellow alarm sign.) But it's no matter: I am of the opinion young guys need to play to improve. I am not encouraged by this development with Milutinov. Might not matter yet, but at this rate he might not be that different next season either... I hope to be wrong of course.
    Here's the thing: For us as fans and maybe for PATFO, what Nikola is doing is training. For him, it's a job. Olympiacos offered to pay him the most money, so that's why he's there. The Spurs didn't assign him to a place where he wouldn't get minutes. He played a lot for Partizan, but they couldn't pay him (literally -- he had to file a grievance over the issue just like Bertans did). The Greek team was going to let him out of his deal to sign with a team in Serbia, but that didn't work out.

The solution would be to bring him over and let him play in Austin while being paid the most as a Spurs prospect. And I'd rather have him on the team than Forbes right now. But once he wasn't going to be a Spur for this season, it was all Milutinov's choice to do what's best for him and his future, and current finances are a big part of that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's the thing: For us as fans and maybe for PATFO, what Nikola is doing is training. For him, it's a job. Olympiacos offered to pay him the most money, so that's why he's there. The Spurs didn't assign him to a place where he wouldn't get minutes. He played a lot for Partizan, but they couldn't pay him (literally -- he had to file a grievance over the issue just like Bertans did). The Greek team was going to let him out of his deal to sign with a team in Serbia, but that didn't work out.

The solution would be to bring him over and let him play in Austin while being paid the most as a Spurs prospect. And I'd rather have him on the team than Forbes right now. But once he wasn't going to be a Spur for this season, it was all Milutinov's choice to do what's best for him and his future, and current finances are a big part of that.
    Good point .... He's getting paid to play or ride the bench in a good team, it's a livelihood and the team can't carry that many rookies and unproven players all at once. They had to cut Livio for example and I don't think they really wanted to. It was a last day of training camp decision. I hope Forbes pans out for Patfo's sake.

Just my hype for Milutinov has gone down a tad. They may just bring him next season. He can pressure at some point too same as Livio...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point .... He's getting paid to play or ride the bench in a good team, it's a livelihood and the team can't carry that many rookies and unproven players all at once. They had to cut Livio for example and I don't think they really wanted to. It was a last day of training camp decision. I hope Forbes pans out for Patfo's sake.

Just my hype for Milutinov has gone down a tad. They may just bring him next season. He can pressure at some point too same as Livio...
    I'm mostly hoping he can at least play in the summer league this time around. I don't think anyone on the roster except Murray and maybe Forbes will be there. Would be nice to give DeJounte a PnR partner to practice with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While he's not playing much the comparisons with LJC's development are way off the mark.

First of all, as already mentioned, Olympiakos is a much better team than Asvel, he has good players in front of him and they're by no means interested in developing him at the cost of games. He's also not had the injury history that LJC had and unlike him he has a legit NBA body and position. His upside, though, seems quite limited. A Baynes type at best ( which isn't really a bad thing for a late 1st round pick ).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While he's not playing much the comparisons with LJC's development are way off the mark.

First of all, as already mentioned, Olympiakos is a much better team than Asvel, he has good players in front of him and they're by no means interested in developing him at the cost of games. He's also not had the injury history that LJC had and unlike him he has a legit NBA body and position. His upside, though, seems quite limited. A Baynes type at best ( which isn't really a bad thing for a late 1st round pick ).
    Baynes-type - really? Milutinov looks like a twig compared to Baynes. I didn't think he was a banger-type at all. Baynes-type would be good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Started and had his first good game in the euroleague this season with 11 and 7 on 4-for-6 shooting in a win against Dangubic's team. Dangubic had 4 points. Hopefully a good sign. Also didn't foul as much as usual, which allowed him to play 22 minutes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any more on this guy? I fear Dedmon might peace out, and we'll be searching of a big to fill the void. No idea how this guys development is going.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any more on this guy? I fear Dedmon might peace out, and we'll be searching of a big to fill the void. No idea how this guys development is going.
    His stats are horrible: 9/9 per 40 on 30 percent FG% Decent shot-blocker by that's it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His stats are horrible: 9/9 per 40 on 30 percent FG% Decent shot-blocker by that's it.
    Thanks for the update... Spurs foreign scouting outside of Davis Bertans (and that was 5 years ago) has been bad, which in reality is like a wasted pick if we think about it, specially first rounders. Hmmm he's on some Livio looking path at this rate unfortunately...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well that blows. Hopefully he does the little things well though, like set picks, roll to the basket, board and play position D. A poor mans tiago would be nice.

Can't put all the foreign drafting woes on the Spurs staff though; more and more teams are scouting and drafting a finite pool of players (and do so at better draft positions). I think seeing that, the Spurs have moved on to the next developmental pipeline, which is the Dleague.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well that blows. Hopefully he does the little things well though, like set picks, roll to the basket, board and play position D. A poor mans tiago would be nice.

Can't put all the foreign drafting woes on the Spurs staff though; more and more teams are scouting and drafting a finite pool of players (and do so at better draft positions). I think seeing that, the Spurs have moved on to the next developmental pipeline, which is the Dleague.
    I think it's this, plus factoring in thet did not wish to take on any salary, albeit even a late 1st rounder so took a flyer. Bet they tried to unload the pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wasn't an inspiring pick at the time, and hasn't done anything to change that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wasn't an inspiring pick at the time, and hasn't done anything to change that
    I went ballistic when he was picked. There haven't been a ton of great players to take over him, but any of Harrell, Nance and Holmes would have been improvements.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He had a pretty decent game today against Unics Kazan in the Euroleague.

Rebounds Blocks Fouls
    # Player Min Pts 2FG 3FG FT O D T As St To Fv Ag Cm Rv PIR
    11 MILUTINOV, NIKOLA 20:18 11 5/7 1/1 6 1 7 1 1 2 1 1 18

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get the feeling he's gonna be a Spurs next year if Dedmon walks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I went ballistic when he was picked. There haven't been a ton of great players to take over him, but any of Harrell, Nance and Holmes would have been improvements.
    Weren't they trying to maintain optimal flexibility for LMA that summer?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's been better lately, both in the greek league and the euroleague. Had 18 points against Real Madrid last night on 5/6 shooting and 8/10 from he foul line, which is a career high.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone remind us of his buyout situation? Can he easily come over next summer or are there complications?

Dude needs to come over this summer. The big situation seems tenuous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another good game from Mulitinov against Efes in Euroleague quaterfinal.

Olympiacos won 87/72, Mulitinov starts at center and finish with 11 pts (5/9 ) 7 rebounds 2 assists and 2 blocks in 26 minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Happy to see he's recovering. Spurs are in an awkward position with him. He hasn't shown enough to have him in the future plans. But he still has enough potential to where he could be a rotation player soon. So should the Spurs hesitate to draft a big? The front court will likely be okay for another year, and Nikola and Cady might have chances to earning a rotation spot. The back court needs new blood, even with Murray. So if the Spurs are at 29 and both Hart and a big like Adebayo or Lessort are there, where does the team go? Should they big a third project big or a rotation-ready two?

Decisions, decisions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information