Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really don't like how he's developed. Like it's cool that he's a rolling big and can rebound well enough, but his lack of anything else is really concerning, considering this is his fourth season since being drafted. Maybe things would have been different had he come over immediately, but it seems like he'd struggle to do anything more than eat minutes in the NBA. Each year he's over there, he's getting more and more expensive, but the NBA is paying guys with his skill-set less and less. It's not a great combo. For the $4 Millionish he would likely need to jump over, the team could get a big who's already in the league and who has a better track record. So it makes sense for PATFO to hold the line at the rookie scale, while it makes sense for Nikola to want at least double that.

That 2015 draft man. PATFO didn't miss out on a superstar or anything, but there are a number of legit NBA bigs the front office passed on that could have changed the trajectory of the past few years.
    What really puzzled me back then was them signing over Boban for a one year deal. Great opportunity for Boban and I enjoyed watching him that one year but it’s one year they could have had Nikola in the same garbage time role basically, unless it was Nikola who didn’t want to come over at that time. I really don’t know. Watching guys like Metu in the team now, Niko couldn’t have been much worse gone to the Gleague and get his rest games. Either he developed or didn’t but would have had his 2 cheap seasons to figure it out.

With Poltl now in the team I don’t see what role Nikola would have with team at the price you say it would take to bring him over. Another Hanga is what it looks like right now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah but JP is playing like so who knows what is going to happen to him?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really don't like how he's developed. Like it's cool that he's a rolling big and can rebound well enough, but his lack of anything else is really concerning, considering this is his fourth season since being drafted. Maybe things would have been different had he come over immediately, but it seems like he'd struggle to do anything more than eat minutes in the NBA. Each year he's over there, he's getting more and more expensive, but the NBA is paying guys with his skill-set less and less. It's not a great combo. For the $4 Millionish he would likely need to jump over, the team could get a big who's already in the league and who has a better track record. So it makes sense for PATFO to hold the line at the rookie scale, while it makes sense for Nikola to want at least double that.

That 2015 draft man. PATFO didn't miss out on a superstar or anything, but there are a number of legit NBA bigs the front office passed on that could have changed the trajectory of the past few years.
    While I don't think he looks good right now despite the numbers (I think his body has declined since the knee injury and having to play through it in the summer, he looks malnourished compared to before and looks like his knee still hurts) ....

I don't know how else he would show any development.

Olympiakos doesn't have any room for him to develop, because they don't want him to. They don't want him doing anything beyond the dirty work role he's in. It's not like the Adriatic League where guys can show off and get opportunities to be primaries in the offense. Olympiakos has him doing what they want, just like Udoh or Birch or whoever it was before and whoever will come after him. He's there to make life easier for the greeks like Spanoulis, Papinikalou or whoever, not overshadow them.

I do blame the Spurs for not bringing him in over Boban when they had the money and the roster spot, but the FO doing dumb things has happened before.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a fan of him or Poeltl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    early Euroleague stats for Milutinov

6 games
    22.8 minutes per game
    11.2 points on 64.3% shooting
    7.5 rebounds (4.2 def, 3.3 off)
    0.83 blocks per game
    1.5 fouls (career best)
    career high euroleague PER of 23.5

I hadn't noticed, but David Blatt is the coach of Olympiakos now.

They're 3-3 in Euroleague play

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol is breaking down doubt if he plays 50 games this year and is only going to get worse. Poodle is softer then Splitter and Rasho now I know why the Raptors included him in the KY trade.

Trade Gasol or Poodle bring over Nikola and then draft SF and PF

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looks like better this year, doing other things than just dunking.

He dishes 5 or 6 assists on his last euro league Game for example.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what’s the deal with this guy? Don’t we run into the Livio situation where we have to pay him soon?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what’s the deal with this guy? Don’t we run into the Livio situation where we have to pay him soon?
    They don't ever have to pay him. He makes more in Europe than the 1st round guarantee, and probably will continue to do so for the next ten years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It Will depends on how much the spurs want To give him and if they really want him ? As objective said he Will command more than the rookie scale.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But isn’t there some quirk, as with Livio, where if the spurs wait too long to bring over a first rounder they are on the hook at pay him? Like up until last season the spurs were paying Livio even though he never suited up. All that to say I think the spurs will need to or get off the pot with this guys rights.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks to his european improvement, Milutinov could have become a more than decent trade asset, expecially considering the way bigs are played in the nba nowadays...one thing to consider is that if Pau will not be traded (or waived) soon, his contract is gonna be guaranteed for 16 millions next year. So probably a big decision on our future bigs is in order in the coming days...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But isn’t there some quirk, as with Livio, where if the spurs wait too long to bring over a first rounder they are on the hook at pay him? Like up until last season the spurs were paying Livio even though he never suited up. All that to say I think the spurs will need to or get off the pot with this guys rights.
    The deal with LJC was that he agreed to stay in Europe to give the Spurs a break on the cap and try to develop his non-existent skills, then immediately shredded his knee. The knee became his excuse for not being an NBA player. And not normal a good player, he couldn't make decent money in Europe either.

So the Spurs 'did the right thing' by giving him the two year minimum he would have had if he signed after being drafted. Then they cut him because he couldn't play.

You might be thinking of the rule that after 3 years, unsigned picks don't have to stick to their draft slot salary and can be paid out of cap space or exception money. Like what happened with Splitter. And now can happen with Milutinov. But all the Spurs have to do to keep his rights is offer the first round amount, which Milutinov won't be a threat to take unless he also has a horrible injury.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks to his european improvement, Milutinov could have become a more than decent trade asset, expecially considering the way bigs are played in the nba nowadays...one thing to consider is that if Pau will not be traded (or waived) soon, his contract is gonna be guaranteed for 16 millions next year. So probably a big decision on our future bigs is in order in the coming days...
    I could be wrong, but I think the guarantee date for Pau is in late June.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looks like pretty fit. Could be a Nice pair of young centers with jakob.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could play with Poodle as he doesn’t have feet that Poodle but has a decent jumper and is really tough down low. I like that he really gets up for games plays with passion I would bring him over as he and LMA and Poodle could easily with us for 6 yrs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RC will be stupid not to sign Nikola they need to find away to let Gasol go this summer and sign Nikola.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RC will be stupid not to sign Nikola they need to find away to let Gasol go this summer and sign Nikola.
    He's good but he'll probably look for a Bogdanovic-type deal. I wouldn't want them to spend the MLE on a 3rd center to play behind Poeltl when the biggest need is a perimeter defender. If he takes the rookie scale contract then sure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will not take the rookie scale imo because he can earn more in Europe.

But i agree i will not give him a bogdanovic deal, that’s too Much, more something like 5-6/year.

We just have tWo options : rookie scale or exceptions ? Or We could offer something else ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will not take the rookie scale imo because he can earn more in Europe.

But i agree i will not give him a bogdanovic deal, that’s too Much, more something like 5-6/year.

We just have tWo options : rookie scale or exceptions ? Or We could offer something else ?
    Rookie scale, exceptions or cap space, but the Spurs are unlikely to have any. 5-6 mil/year still eats into the MLE which should be used for a perimeter defender/shooter unless they trade for one.

Thread Information