Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    listen I'm not saying Lalanne is some future star. But he has some skills to be a 4th big man. He has some skills to be a rotational guy. Not every guy needs to be an all star.
    I think you're missing the point. 36 percent shooting in the d-league is not good enough to say he's a stretch-four. That's why I said he'd need to be putting up d-league all-star numbers on an average night to become a real prospect. When you add in the speed and size of closing defenders and the general increase in compe ion, shooting percentages tend to drop a lot. That's why Malcolm Thomas ended up not making it as a shooting big.

If Cady were doing this (per 36) in the NBA, people would be all over him. But the compe ion is just so much worse that it makes sense to be more than a bit skeptical. Hence why I said he needed a year. Your offense is misplaced. Cady's too small to be a stiff, so he has to actually have legit skills to even make it as a end-of-rotation player. Right now, he doesn't have one developed, which is obvious by looking at his game-to-game stats and not just his averages. As I said, we'll know more in a year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you're missing the point. 36 percent shooting in the d-league is not good enough to say he's a stretch-four. That's why I said he'd need to be putting up d-league all-star numbers on an average night to become a real prospect. When you add in the speed and size of closing defenders and the general increase in compe ion, shooting percentages tend to drop a lot. That's why Malcolm Thomas ended up not making it as a shooting big.

If Cady were doing this (per 36) in the NBA, people would be all over him. But the compe ion is just so much worse that it makes sense to be more than a bit skeptical. Hence why I said he needed a year. Your offense is misplaced. Cady's too small to be a stiff, so he has to actually have legit skills to even make it as a end-of-rotation player. Right now, he doesn't have one developed, which is obvious by looking at his game-to-game stats and not just his averages. As I said, we'll know more in a year.
    but 36% is at least average.

and cady is not to small. he is a 6'10" in shoes.

but I do agree he does need to continue to develop. But i think he has done that since the summer league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but 36% is at least average.
    This is the same point you missed the first time. If his stats faithfully transferred to the NBA, of course they'd be good enough. But d-league stats almost always lose strength in the transition. So being "at least average" in the d-league makes you well below-average in the NBA. He has to be elite in the d-league, and he's not at this point.

This has never been about him being an NBA star. But he's not good enough to even be a role-player right now. For example, Green averaged 20/8/3 when he was in the d-league, and he was a finisher on the break and caught numerous alley-oops. And that was when he was a teamless scrub.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the same point you missed the first time. If his stats faithfully transferred to the NBA, of course they'd be good enough. But d-league stats almost always lose strength in the transition. So being "at least average" in the d-league makes you well below-average in the NBA. He has to be elite in the d-league, and he's not at this point.

This has never been about him being an NBA star. But he's not good enough to even be a role-player right now. For example, Green averaged 20/8/3 when he was in the d-league, and he was a finisher on the break and caught numerous alley-oops. And that was when he was a teamless scrub.
    But you can't say that with certainty. His shooting.

and funny you compare him with green. They are two different players. And Lalanne has better height and length.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But you can't say that with certainty.
    This is by far my least-favorite retort. I'm not saying anything with certainty other than that I don't think he's ready based on what he's shown. I don't have to prove that it won't transfer, just that it's not likely to. You (really Cady) has the burden of proof here to show why he breaks the mold.

and funny you compare him with green. They are two different players. And Lalanne has better height and length.
    It's like my points and you are the same poles of a magnet. What I am saying is that even when he was a comparative scrub, Green was a dominant d-league player. He was shooting 44 percent from three, even though that was before he really became a shooter. He was an elite rebounder for his position.

I was talking about Danny Green, but maybe you thought I meant Draymond/JaMychal?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought you were talking jaymichael.

and I agree he still has some development to do.

my whole retort was off your undersized comment. Which is not true. Skill wise I think we agree. But he he can develop into a stretch 4 he would have plenty of size and length.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jamychael green was indexed dominant in the dleague last season. He was player of the month last December and a big reason fir the Austin Spurs getting to a very hot start. During preason he was already looking better than Jeff Ayers just Ayers was already signed...

The thing with Cady will be consistency and defense. Obviously shooting is fickle, waxing and waning and he wasn't a shooter until this season, so he's shown improvement and intrigue, and may yet get even better, but averaging 11 points for sure implies he needs further development. I suppose he's probably due for another SL when Pop will watch him and he will have to make the team, but we probably have spots., so it's up to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched Cady in one game. He's slow/heavy footed. Reminds me of DWest in being a guy of about the same size in height, length and body type, but unable to defend in the perimeter.

I know if you are reading me, you will probably cite Anderson, but he's not the same, Anderson doesn't have explosion or athletic burst, but he is able to change directions on his feet with relative quickness (something that takes by surprise defenders bc you don't expect it from a guy that big and slow, he's very deceptive), and I don't know how to describe it exactly, but Anderson has good body control, he's able to stall his momentum relatively well when closing in on shooters and without fouling them and overall he can stay close to smaller players without bumping them or fouling them... playing under control serves Anderson well in that regard. Cady doesn't have the same body control or ability to stall his momentum, thus he will foul shooters much like Dwest and it's tough for him to close shooters out.

I am unsure on him as a prospect. I watched just the one game and that is probably not enough to get a good feel for him, but bc of him reminding me of the current version of Dwest athletically, he seems more like a center than a PF to me.

He did launch the 3 although it wasn't turned on in the game that I watched, but he has a relative quick shot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

At least it's a step up from the Puerto Rican league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering how shaky the bigs have been so far, I think he'd've had a real chance at grabbing a roster spot has he signed on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Specially that jumpshot he flashed in the dleague and at times in SL. But him and LJC were nearly at the same level except for that jumpshot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's one of the downsides of signing in China. The teams have no qualms about dropping an import player if gets injured and signing a replacement (happened to Norris Cole just a couple of days ago too). He should return to the D-League team considering the lack of bigs on the roster.

Thread Information