Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Things have changed on both sides, but between Game 3 of the 2013 playoffs and the end of the 2014-15 regular season, the Spurs are 9-2 against the Warriors (regardless of who is coaching that team). One of those 2 losses was the second night of a back-to-back against a Golden State team that hadn't played in 9 days. It's not like the Spurs have struggled to find success against the champs, even in their current iteration.

Who knows what would have happened if the teams had met in the 2015 playoffs. I'm surprised, though, to read so much chatter from Warriorsland that seems to think their club is the only team chock full of guys with championship pedigrees and to wholly discount just how effective the Leonard/Green tandem has been in those match ups.

Yes, the Spurs still have some work to do to tinker with this roster to optimize its flexibility, and absolutely, the Warriors might still end up being the better team at the end of the 2015-16 season. They're damned good. And everyone, including Monte Poole, is en led to his opinions about these teams and their relative strengths. But the rationale advanced in this piece is just a bunch of rah-rah stuff that lacks much relationship to relevant recent history.
    This is the way I'm thinking, too. Everything depends on health, but the Spurs give the Warriors fits. They're one of the few teams in the league with two premiere outside defenders to guard the motors of their offense. And now that Aldridge and West are in, the Spurs might just overpower them down low. They do have the better bench right now, but given that any matchup btw the two in the POs was a toss-up to me, it's tilted more in the Sours' favor now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that's only one of the reasons they're a bigger threat. Two alphas that can explode for 40 anytime and you can't forget about the ghost calls.

Jean-Charles was meant to be put on someone like KD..
    Without LJC, Spurs will have to live with Green on Durant. You can't stop Durant, so you might as well live with bottling up the other guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the thing that should be scary about OKC is the possibility that Donovan can put those guys into something resembling an offensive structure that is intended to reduce the alternating isolations in favor of movement that will create good looks for them and allow them to create good looks for their teammates.

If Durant is whole physically and Donovan can implement a real offensive system there, they will be a for anyone to beat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have no answer for Curry. And if San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich were to turn to Leonard, then who takes Klay Thompson? Green is good, but not that good.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the way I'm thinking, too. Everything depends on health, but the Spurs give the Warriors fits. They're one of the few teams in the league with two premiere outside defenders to guard the motors of their offense. And now that Aldridge and West are in, the Spurs might just overpower them down low. They do have the better bench right now, but given that any matchup btw the two in the POs was a toss-up to me, it's tilted more in the Sours' favor now.
    The problem that I see is that the Warriors can do the same number that the Spurs did against the Heat. Tire everyone out by running a superior bench. Spurs have old guys and a depleted bench. They've got to restock with young capable guys to keep up with the pace.

The author is right about Parker being key, if he isn't his old self, Spurs are going to have problems.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    The Warriors would have probably lost to the Cavs if Irving didn't go down in game 1. Spurs always play them well, it's still OKC that has me concerned. Don't get me wrong, congrats to the Warriors, they will have to be beat first. There is no on paper championship. If Spurs stay healthy and continue to tweak this roster, I like their chances vs the OKC's, Warriors, Grizz, Mavs Clips, Rockets in a 7 game series.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thompson disappeared in the finals... was there a stellar defender on him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finals MVP Andre Igoudala

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    It's interesting that the press in the Champs' home area feels the need to write an article justifying why they are still better. Guessing there's some fear going on there...
    You're reading too much into it. Pounding the Rock and SAEN does the same thing. And it still gets posted here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IIRC during the last SAS-GSW PO series when Pop switched DG to Curry and KL to Thompson, we did alright. Well, that, and Curry had a bum ankle.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Green is good, but not that good"

Didn't Klay Red finish off Game 6 with 5 points?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that's only one of the reasons they're a bigger threat. Two alphas that can explode for 40 anytime and you can't forget about the ghost calls.

Jean-Charles was meant to be put on someone like KD..
    why don't we just stick with Kawhi on Durant and Green on Westbrook?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why don't we just stick with Kawhi on Durant and Green on Westbrook?
    Other way around is better IMO

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the thing that should be scary about OKC is the possibility that Donovan can put those guys into something resembling an offensive structure that is intended to reduce the alternating isolations in favor of movement that will create good looks for them and allow them to create good looks for their teammates.

If Durant is whole physically and Donovan can implement a real offensive system there, they will be a for anyone to beat.
    If OKC gets a smarter offensive system they could be unstoppable. Unfortunately, OKC doesn't have that kind of players in their rosters. Adams, Ibaka aren't great passers.

The supporting cast isn't as good as it used to be, no Sefelosha, no Reggie Jackson, no Martin, no Harden. I don't even know who the SG is for OKC. Their bench is non-existent. How long will their bench last against the likes of Ginobili, Mills, Diaw and West???? Spurs will just run OKC to the ground. Durant and Westbrook will be dead tired when they reach the 4th quarter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree... KL on Westbrook. Green really can't cover Durant, but Durant is a very hard cover anyway. Best option is to get LJC on him, not going to stop him, but will at least make him work for his shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's too much thought being put into this. We're gonna kick their asses easily. Aldridge can hit the open jumper. Green isn't gonna be able to sit down low. This is why we beat the thunder in 2014. Popovich realized(what I had mentioned 2 games prior) to start diaw to bring Ibaka out of the paint. The beige brothers never play well against green and curry, but with the emergence of iquadala, we may have a few issues. We may have to play a lot of mills(who defends curry a of a lot better than parker) and then it's an easy win. EASY WIN!! quote me. It's too much worrying about nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do think that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree... KL on Westbrook. Green really can't cover Durant, but Durant is a very hard cover anyway. Best option is to get LJC on him, not going to stop him, but will at least make him work for his shots.
    So which one are you removing from the starting lineup: Green or Aldridge?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Tony Parker’s body has become a victim of hard driving and high mileage ... The Spurs have no answer for Curry"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Length. Green doesn't have enough of it to get back on Westbrook if he decides to settle for a mid range jumper or drive to the rim recklessly imo.

Like ceperez said, you can't really stop Durant but Green will at least make him work

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So which one are you removing from the starting lineup: Green or Aldridge?
    You take Green out and you have Parker cover the SG (whoever he is) of the Thunder.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GS barely beat a crappy Cavs team for the le. Spurs have the best wing defensive combo in the league. More than enough stuff to shutdown Thompson (though he shuts himself down) and Curry.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very hacky journalism....but the bar for intelligence is low in Oakland.

Thread Information