Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    turned it off turned it on worked updated the video drive worked

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    What's so bad about 8.1? It's an OS, it operates your system.
    I guess if you like tablet operating systems on power computers.

Just not my thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess if you like tablet operating systems on power computers.

Just not my thing.
    No, that's why I use desktop mode. That knock on Windows 8 doesn't apply post 8.1 IMO. As a long time user of 7, I don't understand the hate on 8.1.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, that's why I use desktop mode. That knock on Windows 8 doesn't apply post 8.1 IMO. As a long time user of 7, I don't understand the hate on 8.1.
    Is there any advantage for 8.1 over 7? All the gaming benchmarks I see are within margin of error between 7 and 8.1.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a W8 pro with Media Center box that I don't plan to upgrade to non-Media Center W10 ever. I never clicked the W10 upgrade icon in the trey, yet windows update showed a few failed "upgrade to Windows 10 Pro"s
    so I uninstalled the KB3035583, but forgot to "hide" it
    next day: more failed W10 upgrades, icon is back, click on it, it says "your upgrade is reserved" WTF!!!!
    uninstall and hide KB3035583, icon gone
    still getting failed 'upgrade to W10' in update history...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there any advantage for 8.1 over 7? All the gaming benchmarks I see are within margin of error between 7 and 8.1.
    No, not really. Nothing I can think of off top at least. But a ton of people think it's cool to say it sucks, but you ask them why they think that and they can't give you a reason that makes sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only if you run it on a tablet. On a desktop, I feel the experience is actually tier. Microsoft probably does too, tbh... that's why Windows 10 introduced a switch between Desktop and Tablet mode, which is something that made absolute sense for 8, but didn't have it.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Pretty large difference with the functions I use.

I prefer XP, 7 is pretty good. 8, 8.1, X.... all three really suck.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Only if you run it on a tablet. On a desktop, I feel the experience is actually tier. Microsoft probably does too, tbh... that's why Windows 10 introduced a switch between Desktop and Tablet mode, which is something that made absolute sense for 8, but didn't have it.
    What in were they thinking to release 8 that way?

Did everyone at Microsoft take dumb pills?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

they paniked at the sight of Google and Apple tbh. and at the sight of all the kids not even knowing how to use a mouse anymore.

most kids these days are brought up mouse-keyboard-less. times are a changing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You have to remember Johnny-come-late Ballmer was running the company then. I agree with hater, they saw the iPad taking off and didn't know what the to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to remember Johnny-come-late Ballmer was running the company then. I agree with hater, they saw the iPad taking off and didn't know what the to do.

So Ballmer decided to make their flagship product ty in response. Oh well, still a better UI than Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So Ballmer decided to make their flagship product ty in response. Oh well, still a better UI than Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 at least.
    Because all he ever gave a about was the stock price. So when everybody was buying up iPads and Android tablets, and analysts started wondering if Microsoft was being left in the dust, he had to rush some tablet-gimmick out the door to rescue the stock.

Everybody will tell you Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should've been. And if you're a desktop user, the re-introduction of a desktop mode doesn't change anything for you compared to Windows 7.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Windows 10 has a built in keylogger?

http://localghost.org/posts/a-traffi...-of-windows-10

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully when the time comes I can upgrade from 7 to SteamOS + Vulkan.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    ing anniversary update. Had to uninstall Symantec AV before upgrade, and it broke Chrome and Kodi afterwards. Also can't set a default internet browser now. Piece of .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard terrible things about it, but at least there's some workarounds. Here's how to disable Cortana with this update:

http://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-...in-windows-10/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some Users Say Windows 10 Anniversary Update Borked Their Par ions

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/w...lete-par ion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing Windows 10, what a piece of like every other thing that comes out of Redmond. ing I want Vulkan to take off so I can never have to use Windows on my home PC again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing Windows 10, what a piece of like every other thing that comes out of Redmond. ing I want Vulkan to take off so I can never have to use Windows on my home PC again.
    Vulkan?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vulkan?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a cross-platform API that would allow me to play games on Linux instead. Games are the only reason I use ty Windows on my PC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a cross-platform API that would allow me to play games on Linux instead. Games are the only reason I use ty Windows on my PC.
    so sort of like steam but more like wine?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so sort of like steam but more like wine?
    It's more like a lightweight alternative for DirectX or OpenGL. Though OpenGL is awesome too since games written with it usually have ports to Linux. I'm surprised though to see Doom 2016 isn't on Linux yet considering it has OpenGL and Vulkan support. I'm guessing it should get there though within the next few months. The one thing going for Vulkan is Valve should be pushing it hard since it's the only thing that can make their SteamOS a success (SteamOS is just Linux with a nice frontend to make it look like a console OS).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doom 2016 has had some enormous improvements in its performance on AMD cards with Vulkan. Come to think of it, AMD is going to be pushing Vulkan hard too. It helps cover up how bad their drivers are for DirectX11 and OpenGL (though they're very good for DirectX12). And since AMD hardware runs the XBox One and PS4 as well as the upcoming XBox Scorpio, PS4k, and PS VR they might be able to get developers on board. It would be a real kick in the nuts to both Nvidia and Microsoft to see Vulkan get big.

Thread Information