San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just saying. Far, far less.
    And I'm saying yes, I know that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi didn't warm up like the other guys(there's a story about this) and I'm not sure but he had an injury before some of those workouts and maybe that jump stat. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

but he didn't warm up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, they just played 3 games in 3 days..Agree that his defense needs some work though but overal was pleased with his overall performance
    So had the other players, but when the game is down to seconds and close enough that a couple of fast breaks or 3s could change the outcome, your adrenalin and compe ive spirit should kick in and you give max effort.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure that wasn't his max effort, just not fast enough to be effective.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

but he didn't warm up
    Someone just said Kawhi is unathletic.

Even Bill Simmons said Kawhi is a top 5 athletic freak. Pics and video doesn't do him justice. Dude is a mammoth player for his position with cat like reflexes. Just because he doesn't try to jump high when he dunks doesn't mean he's not athletic.

This is one of those times we need to learn the context of what we're talking about.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    chris mullin was slow
    And Larry Bird didn't beat defenders by outrunning them.
    Both were great shooters though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Larry Bird didn't beat defenders by outrunning them.
    Chris Mullin was slow.
    And Gervin was slow. In fact his moves into the lane with a long stride are similar to KA.

But you will note that all three of those slow guys were exceptional shooters when the came into the league. I don't think KA compares to any of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I'm saying yes, I know that.
    I'm glad you agree, because it's less.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slo-Mo gettin' 'er done!

P Double J R
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The games I saw him in he wasn't very confident being in games, he hesitated and always looked to pass the ball even when he was wide open. But his game is big time, he has great pace , excellent court vision , he is a great passer. His lack of speed won't affect him on offense although on defense it may hamper him, if he can play with the same confidence he will really help the spurs this season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone just said Kawhi is unathletic.

Even Bill Simmons said Kawhi is a top 5 athletic freak. Pics and video doesn't do him justice. Dude is a mammoth player for his position with cat like reflexes. Just because he doesn't try to jump high when he dunks doesn't mean he's not athletic.

This is one of those times we need to learn the context of what we're talking about.
    I'm saying he doesn't jump high. Length and cat like reflexes aren't a definition of athletic. Manu has cat like reflexes, but I would call his athleticism elite. Duncan has length.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm saying he doesn't jump high. Length and cat like reflexes aren't a definition of athletic. Manu has cat like reflexes, but I would call his athleticism elite. Duncan has length.
    Except he does jump high. He just doesn't need to most of the time. Cat like reflexes is athleticism though. I don't understand you anymore.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same tbh. I won't believe in this guys game will translate til he shows something in the NBA. He was absolutely dreadful playing with the big boys last year.
    Not sure what you were expecting from a 20yr old rookie on a championship team. We all already knew how pop is with rookies and It was obvious he wasnt going to get much playing time with the team last season which is why he was sent back to austin so much for playing time. I really like simmons, but hes turning 26 in a month and has done absolutely nothing with the big boys either, but yet youre all over him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure what you were expecting from a 20yr old rookie on a championship team. We all already knew how pop is with rookies and It was obvious he wasnt going to get much playing time with the team last season which is why he was sent back to austin so much for playing time. I really like simmons, but hes turning 26 in a month and has done absolutely nothing with the big boys either, but yet youre all over him.

Simmons has NBA skills and athleticism . It's not that I was disappointed that anderson didn't get a lot of run.... It's that when he did play he looked like the worst player on the court even in garbage time often.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am just disgusted by the accolades this guy is getting. Did you not see the eggs he laid every time he got called up? Unbelievable.
    Why would any spurs fan be disgusted with the accolades a young player on the team they support is getting? Unbelievable. Anyone who expected him to just blow up last season is clueless. He has a year under his belt and from what it seems like pop and the rest of the coaching staff seem to be high on him. He'll be fine.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons has NBA skills and athleticism . It's not that I was disappointed that anderson didn't get a lot of run.... It's that when he did play he looked like the worst player on the court even in garbage time often.
    Agree about simmons but hes hitting or is prime right now going on 26. Kyle is only 21 and is a unique talent imo. Last season he was a 20yr old rookie, I didnt expect anything from him, in fact I was surprised he played at all. He did play a few games where he looked ok. The game against portland comes to mind.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree about simmons but hes hitting or is prime right now going on 26. Kyle is only 21 and is a unique talent imo. Last season he was a 20yr old rookie, I didnt expect anything from him, in fact I was surprised he played at all. He did play a few games where he looked ok. The game against portland comes to mind.

I'm sick and tired of these haters, all hating on a 21 year old because he has a nickname 'SloMo'.

The guy just won MVP for SL and took his team to win the championship. The least they can do is give some respect and give the guy the benefit of the doubt. What a bunch of low-life haters.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly, as a matter of fact, Jeff Ayres was the most athletic player in the entire roster last year.

People have the mistaken impression that Kawhi has elite athleticism, he never had it. At best he had slightly above average athleticism. Just look at his predraft measurements: No step vert: 25.5 , max vert: 32 .

What about Danny Green: No step vert: 29. max vert: 33 . Green jumps higher than Leonard! Anyone watching Spurs games can see this as a fact.

You want an athlete? What about Ray McCallum: No step ver: 30, max vert: 40. 8 inches higher than Leonard.
    or Simmons: No step vert: 30, max vert: 38.

Spurs got two players who can jump out of the gym. Those two players aren't Green or Leonard.

• Dwayne Wade comes in at 31.5 & 35 in the no step & max
    • Blake Griffin measured at 32 & 35.5 (no step & max)
    • Carmello Anthony jumped 30.5 & 33.5 (no step & max)
    • Derrick Rose = 34.5 & 40 (no step & max)
    • Russell Westbrook = 30 & 36.5 (no step & max)

Going by predraft measurements that would make mccallum more "athletic" then dwayne wade, blake griffin, and russell westbrook. I see what youre saying but you cant really go by these numbers when determining athleticism, these guys are still young and growing and once they get into the league and start working out with trainers they most likely get stronger, quicker, jump higher, etc. Im sure kawhi would post higher numbers then he did in the predraft today.
    "Green jumps higher than Leonard! Anyone watching Spurs games can see this as a fact" Dont understand this at all. Kawhi was the only one on the spurs especially last season who was catching and finishing alley oops.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except he does jump high. He just doesn't need to most of the time. Cat like reflexes is athleticism though. I don't understand you anymore.
    No, he doesn't jump that high. When I mean high, I mean someone who could be invited to the slam dunk contest. Kawhi doesn't qualify.

Reflexes otherwise known as eye hand coordination isn't athleticism, you can have a bunch of overweight gamers that have quick reflexes but they are far from being athletic.

Just to remind you about Kawhi, here are his dunks:

he uses his length to reach the ring and dunk.

Now compare to Jonathan Simons:

Leonard has a 4.5" standing reach advantage. Notice how much higher above the hoop Simmons reaches. Leonard's advantage is his length and large hands, but he certainly doesn't go up as high as Simmons.
    Last edited by ceperez; 07-21-2015 at 09:57 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, he doesn't jump that high. When I mean high, I mean someone who could be invited to the slam dunk contest. Kawhi doesn't qualify.

Reflexes otherwise known as eye hand coordination isn't athleticism, you can have a bunch of overweight gamers that have quick reflexes but they are far from being athletic.
    Agreed. Kawhi isnt dunk contest material but hes plenty athletic imo.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    • Dwayne Wade comes in at 31.5” & 35” in the no step & max
    • Blake Griffin measured at 32” & 35.5” (no step & max)
    • Carmello Anthony jumped 30.5” & 33.5” (no step & max)
    • Derrick Rose = 34.5” & 40” (no step & max)
    • Russell Westbrook = 30” & 36.5” (no step & max)

Going by predraft measurements that would make mccallum more "athletic" then dwayne wade, blake griffin, and russell westbrook. I see what youre saying but you cant really go by these numbers when determining athleticism, these guys are still young and growing and once they get into the league and start working out with trainers they most likely get stronger, quicker, jump higher, etc. Im sure kawhi would post higher numbers then he did in the predraft today.
    "Green jumps higher than Leonard! Anyone watching Spurs games can see this as a fact" Dont understand this at all. Kawhi was the only one on the spurs especially last season who was catching and finishing alley oops.
    Intelligent poster alert.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand why Kyle Anderson is receiving so much hate. It's true he has some flaws, but he's only 21. Over time, he'll figure out how to work around his flaws and become a more complete nba player. However, it's rather dissapointing seeing spurs fans trashing on him, even after winning the MVP for the Vegas Summer League.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand why Kyle Anderson is receiving so much hate. It's true he has some flaws, but he's only 21. Over time, he'll figure out how to work around his flaws and become a more complete nba player. However, it's rather dissapointing seeing spurs fans trashing on him, even after winning the MVP for the Vegas Summer League.
    Clearly they are just spoiled

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clearly they are just spoiled
    Are we supposed to respect a summer league mvp?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we supposed to respect a summer league mvp?
    It may not be a huge achievement, but it's still something to start with. You got to start small before you build your way up. However, the big test with be in the nba season.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It may not be a huge achievement, but it's still something to start with. You got to start small before you build your way up. However, the big test with be in the nba season.
    Like you said. Maybe in the future. He hasn't earned any respect as a basketball player yet.

Thread Information