Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Mike Miller has to play for any extended period of time, your championship odds are probably pretty low already, tbh... We already signed the "proven, end of the bench vet shooter", his name is Matt Bonner...
    Please, I'd trust Miller with a 3pter much more than the choker Bonner. Miller is proven, clutch 3pt shooter and would be the only SF backup. For vet's minimum and keeping him away from MEM (whose weakness is 3pt shooting) - sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please, I'd trust Miller with a 3pter much more than the choker Bonner. Miller is proven, clutch 3pt shooter and would be the only SF backup. For vet's minimum and keeping him away from MEM (whose weakness is 3pt shooting) - sure.
    You're basically comparing a turd sandwich with a giant . They're both done, and you don't really need more than one corpse on the bench.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Mike Miller has to play for any extended period of time, your championship odds are probably pretty low already, tbh... We already signed the "proven, end of the bench vet shooter", his name is Matt Bonner...
    Who said anything about "extended period of time"?

Bonner is a PF, not a wing. They don't have a proven fourth wing and neither of the two current options can spread the floor. They'll almost certainly eventually sign a 15th player (not counting camp fodder) anyway and when they do, it's likely to be a veteran, 3-point shooting wing. There's no downside to this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only way I would be fine with Miller is if Pop makes it clear that he would need to be better than Simmons and Anderson to get playing time and that he will be fine if he isn't able to outplay them. Miller hasn't been good enough last season to deserve getting some kind of guaranteed minutes with a contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who said anything about "extended period of time"?

Bonner is a PF, not a wing. They don't have a proven fourth wing and neither of the two current options can spread the floor. They'll almost certainly eventually sign a 15th player (not counting camp fodder) anyway and when they do, it's likely to be a veteran, 3-point shooting wing. There's no downside to this.
    If he's not going to play, why are you bringing up championship odds? And I disagree, Bonner is a perimeter shooter. Always has been. He's been called a "stretch-4", but he's sat his ass at the corner 3 too.

I mean, we're only talking offense and spacing here, defensively both of these guys have been done for a while now.

The downside is strictly monetary. A vet like Miller costs $1m more than any of these kids. Then you have to double that with the lux tax hit.

They should leave the 15th roster spot open, do tryouts early in the season, and wait until mid-season to see what's out there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he's not going to play, why are you bringing up championship odds? And I disagree, Bonner is a perimeter shooter. Always has been. He's been called a "stretch-4", but he's sat his ass at the corner 3 too.

I mean, we're only talking offense and spacing here, defensively both of these guys have been done for a while now.

The downside is strictly monetary. A vet like Miller costs $1m more than any of these kids. Then you have to double that with the lux tax hit.

They should leave the 15th roster spot open, do tryouts early in the season, and wait until mid-season to see what's out there.
    Who said "he's not going to play"? I said he'd have the inside track to fourth wing minutes (at least down the stretch and in the playoffs), not that he'd be guaranteed minutes or not play.

Obviously, Bonner is a perimeter shooter, but Bonner is strictly a PF. Miller is an SF. What's difficult about this to understand?

No, we're talking fourth wing minutes. An actual rotation spot, one they have a major question mark with.

They're already going to pay the tax. Why go mostly in, but stop just short of all the way? A few million is nothing, if it helps you win a championship.

Nothing is going to be out there, on the wings, that's a fit and even if it unexpectedly is, that player will have less time to get acclimated. The time is now to complete the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miller isn't out playing anyone on this team, as it stands...for christ sakes he couldn't get on the court, with the cavs bench.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Again, Jason Richardson is a better option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who said "he's not going to play"? I said he'd have the inside track to fourth wing minutes (at least down the stretch and in the playoffs), not that he'd be guaranteed minutes or not play.

Obviously, Bonner is a perimeter shooter, but Bonner is strictly a PF. Miller is an SF. What's difficult about this to understand?
    I guess what's difficult to understand is why you're so set on strict positions, when Pop is a guy that doesn't really gives a crap? He's all about roles...

He's played a ton of 3 guard lineups, small ball with no pf/center (however you want to classify Tim), stretch-4 with Horry/Bonner/Diaw, Tony at SG... the list goes on an on...

I mean, I believe RC when he says they're still looking for a backup to Kawhi, but I take that to mean a backup that can play both ends, not a washed up vet on a year rental. Hopefully Anderson is that guy, but if he's not, I expect them to keep looking.

No, we're talking fourth wing minutes. An actual rotation spot, one they have a major question mark with.

They're already going to pay the tax. Why go mostly in, but stop just short of all the way? A few million is nothing, if it helps you win a championship.

Nothing is going to be out there, on the wings, that's a fit and even if it unexpectedly is, that player will have less time to get acclimated. The time is now to complete the roster.
    There's absolutely no reason to lock up that roster spot now. I rather give Anderson whatever rotation minutes Mike Miller would get. And I'm not even that high on Anderson. Then re-evaluate mid-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't get minutes in Cleveland last season. Don't know if that's because he's finished, or the obvious that they had better players and he couldn't earn the minutes. But in the last 3 seasons before that, he shot 33-pointers at: 14-29 (.4833), 16-336 (.444), and 31-75 (.413) in the playoffs. , with as little chance as Jimmer has of seeing minutes, it would be worth it to have Miller on the bench just for end of quarter, and end of game situations.

If the Spurs were down by 2-3 in a playoff game, with enough time for one more shot, I'd damn sure rather have Miller on the floor than Bonner. Either to take the shot, or even as a decoy. He's a guy who can knock them down from the parking lot, and everyone knows it. And he's been pretty solid under playoff pressure - you can't ever get enough of that.

Miller is to slow to play long stretches of defense, but he was always pretty physical, and smart with his contact. I remember a few years back suggesting that the Spurs sign Derek Fisher in his 16th season, and everyone said that he was done, and too slow to play defense. And he pretty much kicked ass on the Spurs in the playoffs. Miller is "only" 35 years old. Sounds like he wants more minutes than he could possibly get here, but I wouldn't be upset if he did decide to get on board. Assuming the FO thinks he's got enough left to want him.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    He didn't get minutes in Cleveland last season. Don't know if that's because he's finished, or the obvious that they had better players and he couldn't earn the minutes.
    Mike Miller is as done as 2009-10 Finley who asked to be waived after complaining about the lack of minutes w/ the Spurs. Had a solid career but he'll soon be neighbors w/ Shane Battier at a retirement home in Florida despite him touting himself as a rotation player.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 07-28-2015 at 03:07 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

time to burn the shirt

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

time to burn the shirt
    Nah, it just means he's dead

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't want Miller or Jimmer, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Choo Choo got ing derailed.
    Seriously, why does he leave Miller to go double Lebron like 25 feet from the basket?

Dude hit some ballsy shot, but his defense made Belinelli's look formidable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mike Miller is as done as 2009-10 Finley who asked to be waived after complaining about the lack of minutes w/ the Spurs. Had a solid career but he'll soon be neighbors w/ Shane Battier at a retirement home in Florida despite him touting himself as a rotation player.

Like I said, people said all that and worse about Derek Fisher, right before his 16th season - and he absolutely kicked the Spurs' ass several times. All the comments about him being too slow to ever play defense, and he killed our asses on defense.

Same thing with Grant Hill, when Phoenix signed him. He was too old and broke down, plus had a career-ending injury. Then he played 80 games and 2,400 minutes in each of the next three seasons.

You may be right about Miller - we'll see. But you sure tell the story with confidence.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess what's difficult to understand is why you're so set on strict positions, when Pop is a guy that doesn't really gives a crap? He's all about roles...

He's played a ton of 3 guard lineups, small ball with no pf/center (however you want to classify Tim), stretch-4 with Horry/Bonner/Diaw, Tony at SG... the list goes on an on...

I mean, I believe RC when he says they're still looking for a backup to Kawhi, but I take that to mean a backup that can play both ends, not a washed up vet on a year rental. Hopefully Anderson is that guy, but if he's not, I expect them to keep looking.

There's absolutely no reason to lock up that roster spot now. I rather give Anderson whatever rotation minutes Mike Miller would get. And I'm not even that high on Anderson. Then re-evaluate mid-season.
    It depends on the players. The two in question can only credibly play one each and even though their role is essentially the same, the difference is, Bonner plays a position they're well stocked at; Miller doesn't.

Players that can play both ends don't sign for the minimum and no guarantee of a rotation spot. Obviously that would be ideal, but they just need knockdown shooting and someone who's at least somewhat proven.

There's no reason to wait. They more than likely can't do better and like I said, they can still give Anderson/Simmons a look early on. Miller isn't good enough anymore to be handed a rotation spot and he probably isn't even physically capable of being one for the 100-105 games they hope to play. He'd be insurance.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isnt miller just a bad belinelli?
    Don't even know if he's that, tbqh. W/O a Lebron spoonfeeding him, I don't know what value he really has.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

time to burn the shirt
    The shirt might as well say 'LBJ til I die'

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steve Kerr was too slow and old in '03. But damn, he sure dusted off his shooting when it counted. I'd love to give the last shoot to a wily vet shooter.

Thread Information