Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You forgot drew gooden.. i cant believed he played for the spurs..the PATFO really getting ty players that time(2009-2011)..
    Sadly enough, Gooden was probably the 2nd best big after Timmy that season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a terrible mainstream article...It's obvious the target audience is mainstream spurs fan..aka Porker fans, aka big 3 only player fans..

08 and 13 was both very compe ive years and far from being a dark year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's a bit much to call it an anomaly, especially given that we were a hair's breadth away from beating the Mavs and likely winning a le in 2006.
    Eh, it's easy to play what if, Wade was on fire that year and Tim was playing with plantar fascists iirc. My point is more that the spurs roster wasn't that great, it was steadily becoming too top heavy with the big 3, and winning in 07 lulled the FO to complacency when they needed to upgrade. I remember most of the board was not happy about standing pat after that championship, and hindsight shows those people were right.

Obviously it's not a dark period, but I do think some of the big 3's best years were wasted; in the FO defence, the big 3 contracts got big and it was tough to get better help under those cir stances.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a terrible mainstream article...It's obvious the target audience is mainstream spurs fan..aka Porker fans, aka big 3 only player fans..

08 and 13 was both very compe ive years and far from being a dark year.
    Duh yet another take just to be able to throw your Porker schtick.

The articale doesn't mention any 'dark years', it's about 'championship drought years', which both 08 and 13 were. Are all player fans unable to read or something?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember a ton of you believing that the team in 2010 was stacked.

Marcus Haislip!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep..Even in 2008 with Manu dealing with ankle issues, we managed to beat a very hot Hornets team without HC in Game 7; pissed way game 1 vs a younger Lakers team in WCF after sleeping the night before in tarmac of New Orleans Airport and should have gone back to LA at 2-2 but or Joe Crawford pathetic non-call on Barry 3 attempt...toward the tail end of that season a bunch of guys got way too old and looked effectively done Horry, Bowen , Oberto and Finley..

It quite amazing how it took PATFO only 3 years to reload again and put a le contender by 2012..
    Let's not forget pop benching Bowen in the 3rd with a third foul and letting Kobe go berserk and erase a huge lead and cost them the game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duh yet another take just to be able to throw your Porker schtick.

The articale doesn't mention any 'dark years', it's about 'championship drought years', which both 08 and 13 were. Are all player fans unable to read or something?
    Exactly. It's about the most memorable players during that drought, not the worst players. Hairston, Mahinmi, Gooden, etc either didn't play for more than one season or barely played for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep..Even in 2008 with Manu dealing with ankle issues, we managed to beat a very hot Hornets team without HC in Game 7; pissed way game 1 vs a younger Lakers team in WCF after sleeping the night before in tarmac of New Orleans Airport and should have gone back to LA at 2-2 but or Joe Crawford pathetic non-call on Barry 3 attempt...toward the tail end of that season a bunch of guys got way too old and looked effectively done Horry, Bowen , Oberto and Finley..

It quite amazing how it took PATFO only 3 years to reload again and put a le contender by 2012..
    2008 the team looked great behind Parker and manu, but it took a toll on them and the lack of depth outside the big 3 got exposed.
    2009 manu being out again exposed the lack of depth, by 2010 Duncan was carrying the entire frontcourt, same for 2011. It wasn't till the emergence of splitter and the arrival of Leonard that the big 3 finally got some decent help
    to both.

1. George Hill

2. DeJuan Blair
    3. Antonio McDyess
    4. Jefferson
    5. Matt Bonner
    6. 09/10 Michael Finley
    7. Roger Mason Jr.
    8. Malik Hairston
    9. Keith Bogans
    10. Ian Mahinmi

I don't consider Neal to be part of the dark era since he remained with the Spurs after 2011. Bonner, Blair, and RJ were too but they were a big part of the ugly years as well.

Damn, those ty players the Spurs had.
    I'm glad Dice was a Spur - he was one of those guys I always hoped would be a Spur one day (West is another!) - but he was over the hill by the time he got here unfortunately.

I really enjoyed Grizzly Blair as a rookie and soph, but his deficiencies became stark, and he turned out to be a bit of a headcase.

I had an irrational hope for Malik Hairston, but he never panned out. Maybe Jonathon Simmons can be what Hairston might have been.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember a ton of you believing that the team in 2010 was stacked.

Marcus Haislip!
    yeah Spurs fans got so excited over him because of his dunking abilities. Dude was a total scrub though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think 2008-2009, 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 were only the dark years..maybe only 2009-2010..in 08-09 we had good record and 3rd seed in the west, manu's injury was really the down fall of that team we had no chance of beating the in the playoffs without Manu that time and the mavs had our numbers that time also.. In 2011 we had a great regular season infact we won 61 games but unfortunately choked in the playoffs...2009-2010 season is really the dark season..50 win season streak stopped that year and the team is so inconsistent during regular season, the only highlights that year was beating the mavs in the first round.. But only to get swept by the suns in the 2nd round..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm glad Dice was a Spur - he was one of those guys I always hoped would be a Spur one day (West is another!) - but he was over the hill by the time he got here unfortunately.

I really enjoyed Grizzly Blair as a rookie and soph, but his deficiencies became stark, and he turned out to be a bit of a headcase.

I had an irrational hope for Malik Hairston, but he never panned out. Maybe Jonathon Simmons can be what Hairston might have been.
    Hill and Dice were the only Spurs that I consider commendable. Dice was definitely over the hill and looking back, he shouldn't have been the Spurs 2nd big. But he still had his moments and I give him props for being one of the few players in the Grizzlies series whos balls didn't shrink at the site of Memphis. First class teammate like always.

Blair always rubbed me the wrong way, even when he was playing good. I just got frustrated with his very loose style of play and instead of improving his game like he should have, he got fat and sulked about losing his starter minutes. It's even more glaring knowing that he has done absolutely nothing in the league since he left the Spurs. I couldn't even tell you where he plays now.

I actually liked Malik Hairston a lot but that had more to do with the ty players the Spurs had in their rotation (Mason, Finley, Bogans - all unathletic and one dimensional). He had some good energy plays, but considering how the Spurs look now and how much they have improved their wing depth, he wasn't a loss at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hill and Dice were the only Spurs that I consider commendable. Dice was definitely over the hill and looking back, he shouldn't have been the Spurs 2nd big. But he still had his moments and I give him props for being one of the few players in the Grizzlies series whos balls didn't shrink at the site of Memphis. First class teammate like always.

Blair always rubbed me the wrong way, even when he was playing good. I just got frustrated with his very loose style of play and instead of improving his game like he should have, he got fat and sulked about losing his starter minutes. It's even more glaring knowing that he has done absolutely nothing in the league since he left the Spurs. I couldn't even tell you where he plays now.

I actually liked Malik Hairston a lot but that had more to do with the ty players the Spurs had in their rotation (Mason, Finley, Bogans - all unathletic and one dimensional). He had some good energy plays, but considering how the Spurs look now and how much they have improved their wing depth, he wasn't a loss at all.
    Indeed. You have to say Grizz was fun as a rookie though - he was a wrecking-ball of energy on the boards and hadn't gotten complacent yet. Fun to watch.

And yeah, I didn't mention Hill. Always appreciated him, but never quite trusted him to come through, although he had the odd big moment. He's improved in Indiana, to his credit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think 2008-2009, 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 were only the dark years..maybe only 2009-2010..in 08-09 we had good record and 3rd seed in the west, manu's injury was really the down fall of that team we had no chance of beating the in the playoffs without Manu that time and the mavs had our numbers that time also.. In 2011 we had a great regular season infact we won 61 games but unfortunately choked in the playoffs...2009-2010 season is really the dark season..50 win season streak stopped that year and the team is so inconsistent during regular season, the only highlights that year was beating the mavs in the first round.. But only to get swept by the suns in the 2nd round..
    I still thought 2009 and 2011 were pretty dark years.

The Spurs were starting Matt Bonner at C in 2009. Yeah, he was great in the regular season, but I always knew he would be exposed in the playoffs. His alternates were 40 year olds Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto and Drew Gooden, a black hole player. The wing depth wasn't any better. Bowen being the best wing player outside of Manu should have been a telling sign. Not to mention, Pop benching Hill late in the season in favor of Vaughn, which turned out to be a stupid move.

2011 was total fool's gold. Looking back, it's not surprising that team lost in the first round. A roster that has Jefferson/Bonner/Blair as rotation players isn't a championship team. I consider that a pretty dark season since they lost in the 1st round as the first seed and I really thought the Spurs were done after that. Thankfully, they stepped their game up that summer by getting Leonard and finally traded that cancer RJ the following year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Indeed. You have to say Grizz was fun as a rookie though - he was a wrecking-ball of energy on the boards and hadn't gotten complacent yet. Fun to watch.

And yeah, I didn't mention Hill. Always appreciated him, but never quite trusted him to come through, although he had the odd big moment. He's improved in Indiana, to his credit.
    Yeah he had a fun rookie season but that was the problem with Blair though. His rookie season will likely be the highlight of his career. It was a downhill trend from there.

Hill frustrated me at times too because he got passive and was mentally weak on the road, but I was still a huge fan. He was the only player that looked legit and looked to have a solid career wherever he went. Wouldn't mind him on the current Spurs team, not considering salary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2009-2010 season is really the dark season..50 win season streak stopped that year
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E...o_Spurs_season The streak is still alive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry i forget it..yeah we still won 50 games but we almost lost the streak that season..if i can remember we need to win the last game of the regular season to keep the streak alive..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hill's salary is fine. He'd be a very welcomed sixth man for the Spurs in 2017.

Thread Information