Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont usually post stuff from PtR but this is a nice list, specially because that era was depressive and this article makes me appreciate how lucky we are now, and how at the end of Duncan and Manu´s careers we have a nice future, Skynet wont come.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/...ught-2008-2011

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    weird... duncan randomly shows up after #8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I didnt get it either somewhere between Dice.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh the dark era is only 2009 to 2011.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd argue the dark era was only 2009 and 2010. 2008 we were close to the Finals and 2011 we were the 1 seed and a Manu injury away from challenging for another WCF. Outside 09 and 10, we had 2 WCF and 1 Finals appearance from 08 to 13. Call this a 'dark era' to anyone other than a Spurs fan and you'll be a laughing stock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. 2012-2013 was very much part of this era. I never put it past PtR to get have a horrible take, though. I hope they don't get paid enough to make a living from solely writing the half-assed articles we see on that site.

weird... duncan randomly shows up after #8
    He was saying that Duncan is the only guy who has played at least 150 games for the Spurs over the last two regular seasons. Of course, that statement is misleading and directly wrong, as Green played six fewer games than Tim (149 and could have played more had Pop not randomly rested him a couple time) while Diaw played 160.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep 2009-2011. Where's Kurt Thomas?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep 2009-2011. Where's Kurt Thomas?
    He only played one year, so I guess they figured he didn't make the cut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep..Even in 2008 with Manu dealing with ankle issues, we managed to beat a very hot Hornets team without HC in Game 7; pissed way game 1 vs a younger Lakers team in WCF after sleeping the night before in tarmac of New Orleans Airport and should have gone back to LA at 2-2 but or Joe Crawford pathetic non-call on Barry 3 attempt...toward the tail end of that season a bunch of guys got way too old and looked effectively done Horry, Bowen , Oberto and Finley..

It quite amazing how it took PATFO only 3 years to reload again and put a le contender by 2012..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2008 the team looked great behind Parker and manu, but it took a toll on them and the lack of depth outside the big 3 got exposed.
    2009 manu being out again exposed the lack of depth, by 2010 Duncan was carrying the entire frontcourt, same for 2011. It wasn't till the emergence of splitter and the arrival of Leonard that the big 3 finally got some decent help

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really, 2007 was an anomaly, in that we got lucky gs took out the mavs. imo 07-11 was the "dark period", in terms of the roster being extremely lopsided. Pop and the big 3 were still good enough to get great results, but the team was too dependent on their health due to the lack of balance

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. That's what I came here to post too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really, 2007 was an anomaly, in that we got lucky gs took out the mavs. imo 07-11 was the "dark period", in terms of the roster being extremely lopsided. Pop and the big 3 were still good enough to get great results, but the team was too dependent on their health due to the lack of balance
    I think it's a bit much to call it an anomaly, especially given that we were a hair's breadth away from beating the Mavs and likely winning a le in 2006.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with this. I'd say the dark era started the day Oberto and Bowen were traded, and ended the day Leonard was drafted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, as someone pointed out in the comments, the funny thing about this Dark Era is that with 2 trips to the conference finals and one to the NBA finals, it's equivalent to the highlights of the Suns whole franchise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, as someone pointed out in the comments, the funny thing about this Dark Era is that with 2 trips to the conference finals and one to the NBA finals, it's equivalent to the highlights of the Suns whole franchise.
    Suns
    Maybe from 2009 with that first round exit to Memphis in 2011 those were the lowest points. The dudes in that list were owfullll. Dice was trying his best but he was old.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ever since 89 this franchise has had just 1 losing season and only 3 seasons with less than 50 wins(prorated for lockout years). A 40 year old fan of the NBA has never experienced a sucky Spurs team, lol. And the one crappy season was directly responsible for 5 subsequent rings. We be blessed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. 2012-2013 was very much part of this era. I never put it past PtR to get have a horrible take, though. I hope they don't get paid enough to make a living from solely writing the half-assed articles we see on that site.
    The only one who gets paid is the site manager. Everyone else does it for free.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. George Hill

2. DeJuan Blair
    3. Antonio McDyess
    4. Jefferson
    5. Matt Bonner
    6. 09/10 Michael Finley
    7. Roger Mason Jr.
    8. Malik Hairston
    9. Keith Bogans
    10. Ian Mahinmi

I don't consider Neal to be part of the dark era since he remained with the Spurs after 2011. Bonner, Blair, and RJ were too but they were a big part of the ugly years as well.

Damn, those ty players the Spurs had.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ctrl+F: Ayres

ah, it's down at the bottom in a "frewell" article. I knew pounding the couldn't resist.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say during the Duncan era '99-'03 was more darker considering the spurs had zero respect from the media and the '99 championship was discredited nationally due to the crap Phil Jackson spewed. '00 starts off with Elliott needing a kidney transplant and ends with Duncan tearing his meniscus. '01 Juwon Howard takes out Derek Anderson and the spurs get swept by the Lakers in the WCF. '02 Duncan doesn't have any help and the spurs still lose to the Lakers in 5 despite leading in the 4th quarter of every game. That period was more frustrating for me as a fan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. George Hill

2. DeJuan Blair
    3. Antonio McDyess
    4. Jefferson
    5. Matt Bonner
    6. 09/10 Michael Finley
    7. Roger Mason Jr.
    8. Malik Hairston
    9. Keith Bogans
    10. Ian Mahinmi

I don't consider Neal to be part of the dark era since he remained with the Spurs after 2011. Bonner, Blair, and RJ were too but they were a big part of the ugly years as well.

Damn, those ty players the Spurs had.
    You forgot drew gooden.. i cant believed he played for the spurs..the PATFO really getting ty players that time(2009-2011)..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2007 was an easy path after round 2 but it was legit tbh. Mavs lost to an 8th seed so that is their own damn fault.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still though that 2010 Dallas series win was so great, tbh.. basically the same Mav team (without Chandler) that would go one to win the Chip a year later..G.Hill was memorable in few of those games...

Thread Information