Post Count
    http://www.nba.com/spurs/catching-malik-rose

By: Lorne Chan Spurs.com
    Posted: Jul 30, 2015
    FACEBOOK
    GOOGLE PLUS
    TWITTER
    LINK
    Malik Rose swears he’s happy in retirement. He’s the color commentator for the Philadelphia 76ers, hosts a Sirius XM show and has time to be a dad and husband.

When he saw the offseason moves the Spurs made though, Rose admits that he wishes he could make a comeback and reunite with one of his best friends, Tim Duncan.

“I still feel like I can get out there and play, but I know I can’t,” Rose said. “I see guys out there that I played with still going strong, and I live through them. Especially Tim.”

Rose was back in San Antonio earlier this month to take part in the Spurs Summer Basketball Camps. He's from Philadelphia and lives there now, but after spending eight seasons in San Antonio and helping the Spurs win two championships, Rose said the city always is a “special place” to him.

“The one thing that sticks out in my mind is the fans at the airport any time we came home in the playoffs,” Rose said. “The fans really make the team.”

Rose said he wasn’t surprised when forward LaMarcus Aldridge chose to sign with the Spurs, calling the current team “talented guys with the right mindset.” He remembered the Spurs’ culture being cultivated when he joined the team in 1997, which also was Duncan’s rookie season.

“It’s the right group of guys,” Rose said. “Guys who put the team first. Guys with the right fiber, heart and character, and players and coaches who came together at the right time. Somehow we’re going on two decades of this, and I don’t think we’ll ever see this again in sports.”

Rose has marveled at the career of Duncan, who made his 15th All-Star team in 2014-15 – six years after Rose last played in 2009.

What’s the key to Duncan’s longevity?

“His talent is first and foremost, but he’s always had the work ethic and discipline,” Rose said. “Tim loves to compete, and if there’s something you tell him you can beat him at, he’ll break his neck to make sure he’s better than you. Whether it’s basketball or video games, he’s the ultimate compe or. I’ve gotten him with a few paintballs, but Tim has hit me with plenty, too.”

Rose transitioned to broadcasting shortly after he retired from playing. He spent five seasons with the Knicks after he was traded from the Spurs in 2005, and he discovered a passion for broadcasting there. He said Knicks and ESPN play-by-play commentator Mike Breen would often talk to him about broadcasting while on road trips, and told Rose that he might be a natural.

The NBA offers a broadcasting program called Sportscaster U. at Syracuse University, and Rose signed up. After Rose retired, he worked with the broadcast teams for the Knicks and the Austin Toros before joining the crew of the 76ers in 2011, where he’s been ever since.

“I love staying close to the game and seeing every team twice,” Rose said. “Every time the Sixers play the Spurs, it’s good to see all the guys.”

Rose considered leaving broadcasting this summer, when Avery Johnson was named head coach at the University of Alabama and offered Rose an assistant coach position. Rose said it took about five days for him to make a decision, but decided to decline Johnson’s offer.

“It was tough to say no to a former teammate and a friend,” Rose said. “My wife and I talked a lot about it, but it wasn’t the right time.”

He hasn’t ruled out coaching in the future, but said his real dream is in management. Rose said he’d like to wind up in an NBA front office some day.

“Seeing the way R.C. Buford and the Spurs management works, it’s impressive and inspiring,” Rose said. “I’ve always had a dream of building my own championship team.”

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be happy too if I had a cushy color commentator job after an over-achieving NBA career. Just saying....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be happy too if I had a cushy color commentator job after an over-achieving NBA career. Just saying....
    Are you bitter or something?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Respect, Malik. Undersized dude from Drexel wound up with a great career and two rings. Good on ya.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you bitter or something?
    Bitter? Maybe. But I have perspective all the same.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malik Rose was my favorite player after Duncan at the time. Also I hate the term "overachiever". You either achieved something or you didn't. Malik did through hustle, at ude and taking full advantage of the opportunity given to him.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malik Rose was my favorite player after Duncan at the time. Also I hate the term "overachiever". You either achieved something or you didn't. Malik did through hustle, at ude and taking full advantage of the opportunity given to him.
    Malik Rose was a favorite of mine. I was just saying though...He was a 43.7 percent career shooter who got very significant minutes on two championship teams. He was fairly money, so I'm not saying he was undeserving. I just meant he would have had zero rings on most teams. He was very lucky in that sense. And his good fortunes continue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stand up guy, all the way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to the smaller, worse version of Jeff Ayres.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was Sad when they traded him in 2005 but it was for the better

Bonner/Blair can't do dat capek's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His dunk over Shaq that one playoff series is still one of my all-time favorites Spurs moments.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to the smaller, worse version of Jeff Ayres.
    He was a much better player than Ayres. Sure he wasn't a star but he had moments where he came big in the playoffs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malik Rose was a favorite of mine. I was just saying though...He was a 43.7 percent career shooter who got very significant minutes on two championship teams. He was fairly money, so I'm not saying he was undeserving. I just meant he would have had zero rings on most teams. He was lucky in that sense. And his good fortunes continue.
    I understand the term and agree that if you would use it, he would fit it. I don't like it because it DOES imply he was riding on coattails and though that's true in a sense, you could say that about someone like Diaw too but people wouldn't say that because he's so gifted, but I bet Malik played more minutes than Diaw and won two rings. Its just that people don't count inspirational play, grit and determination as something to put value to.

And I bet he would do well on other teams. In another reality I would've liked to see him play with Iverson, being from Philly. He might've inspired Iverson to "practice"?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rose was a great finisher at the rim; and he wanted the ball in position for a dunk at crucial times. Big dunks and rebounds at pivotal times was his trademark.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His dunk over Shaq that one playoff series is still one of my all-time favorites Spurs moments.
    It was Motumbo... Loved Rose though on the 03 team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair was a poor man's Malik Rose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still remberer him pulling his jersey over his head running down the court

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malik has a weird sense of humor. Saw him on NBATV a few months ago right after Kawhi received his DPOY award and Malik said he would rather cut his wrists than listen to Kawhi speak. What's up with that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still remberer him pulling his jersey over his head running down the court
    Was there for that game...threw the ball out of bounds, pouted with his jersey pulled over his head while his man proceeded to run back past him for an easy score. Pretty sure that's when Pop decided he'd seen enough.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Loved Malik during majority of his time in SA.

His defense was very underrated at the time. He was the Spurs' Draymond Green for a good 4-5 yr stretch (with out the 3 point range).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a fan, you had to love the way Malik went toe to toe against Shaq and didn't back down. Undersized and underskilled in many respects, Malik was a hustle guy who made a good career as a NBA player for himself when many guys with great size and better skills can't seem to do it. (We've seen a few in SA the last few years)

Good to hear about any ex-Spur who is doing well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad Pop's arrogance and ego prevent him from bringing some real bb compe ors like Malik and Bruce to coaching stuff and only can bring chicks or yes mans...

Thread Information