My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "there are countries"

Ok who?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Canada, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, UK, Finland, Ireland, Iceland, etc...
    Canada healthcare isn't free. If you work for a living, you pay a substantial amount in taxes. Same with the other countries you mentioned. Show me the country with free healthcare.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Universal HC isn't free.

Same goes for college. Nothing is free. Someone has to pay. I could take the extra income tax percentage I save by being in the US and pay for both my HC and college no problem. Ah but that's not the issue. The issue is getting the heathcare at no charge, for people who never paid into the system. That's where I say "not interested".

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Canada healthcare isn't free. If you work for a living, you pay a substantial amount in taxes. Same with the other countries you mentioned. Show me the country with free healthcare.

Everyone knows it's not really free

Raise taxes on the millionaires and billionaires. Make corporations pay their share too

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So healthcare is lumped into the tax you pay? Here you work, pay taxes and still have to pay for healthcare. Looks like an upgrade to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone knows it's not really free

Raise taxes on the millionaires and billionaires. Make corporations pay their share too
    That's not what these other countries did. Don't tout other countries only when it suits your needs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and end all the Zionist wars in the middle east. Cut the military budget in half.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bumping this meme for all those who didnt get to see it in all its glory on the previous page. looks like a 2 to 1 lead almost imo tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So healthcare is lumped into the tax you pay? Here you work, pay taxes and still have to pay for healthcare. Looks like an upgrade to me.
    If 25+ % of your income is required to cover your health insurance, you need the free education.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and end all the Zionist wars in the middle east. Cut the military budget in half.
    Definitely a Bernie bro response. Just make things better. Problem solved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely a Bernie bro response. Just make things better. Problem solved.
    Solutions are VERY easy to pinpoint and could be fixed if you're not bought and paid for by the Jewish lobbies, military industrial complex, private health insurances, big pharma and big oil.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    free at the point of care. obviously it would be paid through taxes. but anybody would be able to see a doctor, go to a hospital without worrying about getting stuck with a bill, a deductible, or a co-pay. would by default would be at lower cost per person because you no longer have the middleman insurance company getting their slice. sure, you'd have to have more government administrative employees replacing administrative staff at private insurance companies, but there no longer is the need for profits to appease shareholders, exorbitant executive salaries/bonuses, etc.

same with college tuition. yes, you pay in through increased taxes. but no tuition. so its not like you're suddenly paying a tuition's worth of taxes right after you enroll. its all paid in by the entire taxpayer base.

thats why i say "this has been done before." sanders isn't literally arguing that these services will cost no money, he has acknowledged that it will be funded by tax hikes. its a similar model to what those other countries identified to you have done. you can disagree that its good or bad policy... but its not some fairy tale solution with no basis in reality. we've seen those programs implemented elsewhere and its fine.

now, some other policies like federal min wage being set at $15? i think thats much more unrealistic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    free at the point of care. obviously it would be paid through taxes. but anybody would be able to see a doctor, go to a hospital without worrying about getting stuck with a bill, a deductible, or a co-pay. would by default would be at lower cost per person because you no longer have the middleman insurance company getting their slice. sure, you'd have to have more government administrative employees replacing administrative staff at private insurance companies, but there no longer is the need for profits to appease shareholders, exorbitant executive salaries/bonuses, etc.

same with college tuition. yes, you pay in through increased taxes. but no tuition. so its not like you're suddenly paying a tuition's worth of taxes right after you enroll. its all paid in by the entire taxpayer base.

thats why i say "this has been done before." sanders isn't literally arguing that these services will cost no money, he has acknowledged that it will be funded by tax hikes. its a similar model to what those other countries identified to you have done. you can disagree that its good or bad policy... but its not some fairy tale solution with no basis in reality. we've seen those programs implemented elsewhere and its fine.

now, some other policies like federal min wage being set at $15? i think thats much more unrealistic.
    My lawncare is free at the point of care since I pay monthly.

Do you want to address the "free legal" angle? I mean, wealth is bad unless it's your wealth, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Canada, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, UK, Finland, Ireland, Iceland, etc...
    ing racist. Picking all those original nordic/Anglo saxon white people countries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My lawncare is free at the point of care since I pay monthly.

you cant be kicked off your healthcare under a medicare for all system. if you stop paying your gardener, he'll stop showing up.

Do you want to address the "free legal" angle? I mean, wealth is bad unless it's your wealth, right?
    what is the "free legal" angle?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/sallypi.../#696ea3313e7d

Canada's single-payer healthcare system forced over 1 million patients to wait for necessary medical treatments last year. That's an all-time record.

Those long wait times were more than just a nuisance; they cost patients $1.9 billion in lost wages, according to a new report by the Fraser Ins ute, a Vancouver-based think-tank.

Lengthy treatment delays are the norm in Canada and other single-payer nations, which ration care to keep costs down. Yet more and more Democratic leaders are pushing for a single-payer system -- and more and more voters are clamoring for one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Canada's single-payer healthcare system forced over 1 million patients to wait for necessary medical treatments last year. That's an all-time record.

Those long wait times were more than just a nuisance; they cost patients $1.9 billion in lost wages, according to a new report by the Fraser Ins ute, a Vancouver-based think-tank.

Lengthy treatment delays are the norm in Canada and other single-payer nations, which ration care to keep costs down. Yet more and more Democratic leaders are pushing for a single-payer system -- and more and more voters are clamoring for one.
    other countries have free college and government provided healthcare and it works for them. no system is without flaws, but we see those in effect and those countries have much lower per capita cost for healthcare than we do. the fact that its been done elsewhere successfully is where i get the basis that it would work
    yes. canadian health care has its flaws. so does the UK's. and germany's. and france's. and the US. there isn't a perfect system that we know if. but nobody said we have to copy any one country's model 100%.

there are a lot of factors that go into wait times... including amount of hospital space, ratio of how many doctors there are to patients needing help, geographic distance between patients and treatment facilities, etc.

but yes an opinion piece written by the president of a conservative think tank is certainly going to be persuasive

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you want to get into the pros and cons of universal healthcare we can have that discussion. right now 2/3 of people in the US who file bk do so because of medical/healthcare related reasons. i think thats rather re ed in a successful first-world country

my initial point in this discussion was that its not some radical concept bernie is just making up off the top of his head that cant reasonably be put into effect. we see it working elsewhere. certainly with its bumps. our system isn't immune to bumps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you want to get into the pros and cons of universal healthcare we can have that discussion. right now 2/3 of people in the US who file bk do so because of medical/healthcare related reasons. i think thats rather re ed in a successful first-world country

my initial point in this discussion was that its not some radical concept that cant work. we see it working elsewhere. certainly with its bumps. our system isn't immune to bumps.
    But no system is without flaws.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But no system is without flaws.
    agreed.

i think having 2/3 of bk's being tied to medical costs is a huge flaw in any system. i think deductibles that prevent people from seeking care is a huge flaw. i think inflated costs resulting from the insurance companies' need to make exorbitant profits is a huge flaw. so are long wait times.

but i would say the system that leaves tens of millions of people uninsured, even more people underinsured with deductibles they cant afford, and one where we pay substantially more for the same services per capita than just about any other developed country is one that needs to be overhauled, not just tweaked

average premiums and deductibles are still rising year by year. the current administration's only solution so far has been to remove the mandate penalty. so basically the solution is that if health insurance is too expensive just dont buy it. brilliant.
    Last edited by spurraider21; 01-21-2020 at 10:33 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing Clinton still can't put any blame on herself for blowing the election against the most corrupt and unqualified POS to ever get nominated. When this is the kind of crap we hear from the Democratic establishment it really makes me fear we're getting another four years of our Dear Leader.
    Just glad she isn't running. It would be way better if she would just STFU.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How many patients had to 'wait for necessary medical treatments' in the the US because they can't afford healthcare at all? How much it costs in emergency room visits?

The US has had defacto rationing forever, it's just masqueraded behind economic have and have nots.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t get this position. I get you don’t like her or Biden or whatever but to say she needs to shut up it’s a stretch. It’s a jungle out here. She can say any stupid she wants. Doesn’t stop the rest of us from doing the same, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t get this position. I get you don’t like her or Biden or whatever but to say she needs to shut up it’s a stretch. It’s a jungle out here. She can say any stupid she wants. Doesn’t stop the rest of us from doing the same, imo.
    No she does not when she was the last Democratic standard-bearer, cheated and on top of that lost in an embarrassing fashion. She's completely out of touch, and as somebody being a prominent face of a party, she does damage whenever she continually says dumb things instead of owning up she was a terrible, unlikeable candidate.

And because her ego will never allow her to admit to that, she just needs to shut the up. Stop talking for the people she does NOT represent.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She's ing metastatic.

Thread Information