Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Really interested in Maeve's story arch.... That kind has always intrigued me since the "Short Circuit" movies... what would a fully functional AI, capable of feeling and thought, think about it's own creation and realizing they are under our control?

Would I take it's side?

Would I treat it like a "human"?

what about the whole meta "God" Complex of it all?

What do religious people think about this?

She is basically meeting her creators and realizing how ed up and imperfect they are.... (That whole scene with her taking the tour of the complex was amazing and thought provoking).

She is realizing that she really has no real self determination and her belief that she is a free thinking being is all just programmed. Is this how religious people feel? Are they OK with that?

For the record, Even as an atheist, I follow the theory that we do NOT have a conscious self-choice... Our sub-conscious has already made the choice before we consciously decide to act on it. There have been numerous studies on this and it is quite interesting.

Life is weird no matter what we/you believe in. It certainly isn't boring though.

Also, how sad for Maeve to realize everything, down to the horse, rabbit and blade of grass is all artificial... how ed up is that?

And this is what religious people WANT to believe...

*Edited on 11/9/2016*

For the record, I'm not trying to make this a "bash religion" thing... I want this to be about the show, so I removed a certain comment/opinion that was not relevant and was in bad taste on my part.

The whole Maeve experience thing is REALLY interesting to me though in regards to how religious people view their particular choice of deity. How would a religious person react in that situation from Maeve's prospective?

Again, I'm not trying to elicit a knee-jerk reaction or anything like that, it is just a really intriguing line of thought for me.
    Last edited by phyzik; 11-09-2016 at 01:28 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    good .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    is the woman the writer was into a robot or would that be too obvious?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm only through 4 episodes but it's definitely good. It has a big budget blockbuster feel to it.

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    With all the good series that exist, this one, IMO, is not good...very slow paced.
    Not for me.

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    With all the good series that exist, this one, IMO, is not good...very slow paced.
    Not for me.
    I'm not trying to pick on you, but what about it do you think is "slow paced" exactly? What I really think you mean is that it requires too much thought and you are just not up for that as entertainment. I'm not saying you are stupid or incapable of understanding the narrative or anything, sometimes I just want to sit down and watch senseless entertainment myself (explosions! Violence! Narrative! Give me Action!).

This Show is anything but "slow paced" though IMHO, you REALLY have to think about whats going on beyond the base narrative and that appeals to me. If you are looking for action and explosions and murder (and that's it), yeah it might be boring... but if you look deeper and try to understand the REASON, MEANING and IMPLICATIONS behind it all, that is when it gets really intriguing. If that is not your cup of tea, then so be it... It's just not your form of entertainment.
    Last edited by phyzik; 11-10-2016 at 03:00 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm not trying to pick on you, but what about it do you think is "slow paced" exactly? What I really think you mean is that it requires too much thought and you are just not up for that as entertainment. I'm not saying you are stupid or incapable of understanding the narrative or anything, sometimes I just want to sit down and watch senseless entertainment myself (explosions! Violence! Narrative! Give me Action!).

This Show is anything but "slow paced" though IMHO, you REALLY have to think about whats going on beyond the base narrative and that appeals to me. If you are looking for action and explosions and murder (and that's it), yeah it might be boring... but if you look deeper and try to understand the REASON, MEANING and IMPLICATIONS behind it all, that is when it gets really intriguing. If that is not your cup of tea, then so be it... It's just not your form of entertainment.
    I get what you are saying, and I do find the idea behind the show to be interesting. My point is that theres nothing really happening in the episodes, its like they give you a small piece of the puzzle, too small IMO. This is a series that I wouldnt be surprised, that by the time it ends, we realize it could have been dont in half the episodes.
    I may continue watching it...but idk.

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I get what you are saying, and I do find the idea behind the show to be interesting. My point is that theres nothing really happening in the episodes, its like they give you a small piece of the puzzle, too small IMO. This is a series that I wouldnt be surprised, that by the time it ends, we realize it could have been dont in half the episodes.
    I may continue watching it...but idk.
    Fair enough... Dragging it on without giving too much info can be frustratingly boring.... I actually felt this way about GoT when it first came out (because I had already read the books) and wanted the show to "hurry up" and get to the "good stuff". With this show, since I never saw the original move from Chriton, I am finding quite a bit of enjoyment with the different theories that are being proposed by fans.... Also, the thought of emergent AI and how we would interact with it has ALWAYS intrigued me. I find myself trying to put myself in their "shoes" and trying to think what they are thinking.... It just fascinates me.

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    I take absolute umbrage to "nothing happens" each episode.

I would argue that more happens in each single episode of West World in character development, plot revelations, and situational action than any show I've seen in a first season.

Have they had their big reveal? No.

But this isn't a Law & Order type show where each episode is wrapped up nicely on the conflict-climax-resolution story arc.

Each episode builds. But while mysterious, what's going on isn't entirely a mystery, either.

But the show is layered and nuanced like few before it.

From theories of multiple narrations to some triply Days Of Future Past type recreations, I get why the entirety of the show might be a weight too heavy for "mere entertainment" viewing.

There's nothing superficial about this show.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Fair enough... Dragging it on without giving too much info can be frustratingly boring.... I actually felt this way about GoT when it first came out (because I had already read the books) and wanted the show to "hurry up" and get to the "good stuff". With this show, since I never saw the original move from Chriton, I am finding quite a bit of enjoyment with the different theories that are being proposed by fans.... Also, the thought of emergent AI and how we would interact with it has ALWAYS intrigued me. I find myself trying to put myself in their "shoes" and trying to think what they are thinking.... It just fascinates me.

Dude you are nailing it as far as how I feel with this show. I'm not a tv guy at all I have 1 or 2 shows that I casually watch I find sitting watching tv boring as call me weird but I just hate it. I've got to do you know what I mean. My point is that this show is making me think and it makes me sit down and watch.
    Last edited by RGMCSE; 11-12-2016 at 01:20 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not for me.
    What episode are you on? The first few were a little slow but it picks up big league.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What episode are you on? The first few were a little slow but it picks up big league.

I saw...2..3..
    Im gonna give it another try...more so if you say it gets faster.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Had a feeling about Bernard...but damn...didn't expect that.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Hopkins is in the ing zone. Talk about leaving you feeling unsettled. Amazing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    This show.

That's all I got.

This ing show.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    This show.

That's all I got.

This ing show.
    Yeah...that episode is going to take a day or so to absorb.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    That was the first revealed host/human kill...

And it was two lovers.

And it was at the behest of the visionary.

I mean, .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I saw...2..3..
    Im gonna give it another try...more so if you say it gets faster.
    Get through episode 5... that, I can tell you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    the preview for next week's episode mentions arnold's game

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I hope Anthony Hopkins lives to be 180.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I hope Anthony Hopkins lives to be 180.
    He was phenomenal in the last episode, wow.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    He was phenomenal in the last episode, wow.
    The look on his face when they were firing Bernard.

Didn't say a word.

Incredible.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    HBO did it again. This show is pure puff.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    The more I think about it, I bet Theresa will just be replaced with a host and nobody will know any different.. Maybe even the host that was being made right next to her dead body. Nuts!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    The more I think about it, I bet Theresa will just be replaced with a host and nobody will know any different.. Maybe even the host that was being made right next to her dead body. Nuts!
    Damn! That's entirely possible, and, actually plausible!

Thread Information