Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You blame a God you don't believe in for diarrhea and you think He tells people to give their money to televangelists...sounds logical.

Let me lay out in a bit more detail, as the actual arguments I made seem to have eluded you. I will assume your distortion of what I think is simply ignorance, as opposed to active dishonesty, although active dishonesty is fairly common among people apologizing for the flaws in their holy books.

I do not "blame a God" I don't believe in for diarrhea deaths of 10 million children every year. I blame microorganisms, human ignorance, and poverty for those deaths. I merely pointed out, in short-hand form, that bible god, should such a thing exist would be to blame instead.

Generally, most Christians hold that "God has a plan" for everything, and everything moves according to this plan. If the God of the bible has the attributes described in the bible, then everything that happens, good or bad, could easily be foreseen by this en y, much in the same way that I might foresee a bullet coming out of the barrel of a loaded gun, after I pull the trigger. I am intelligent enough to predict/know the consequences of that action. That action might be morally right/wrong, depending on where that gun is pointed.

Bible God therefore, could reasonably foresee the harm and misery of his actions, and that would include those deaths, among other harms and evils that are visited on humans on a constant basis.

This is not a new argument, and is commonly known as "the problem of evil". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil

You could also imagine such a being at the point where it would have to decide what kind of universe to create:

As for what god says or wants, since I don't really see any evidence that such a thing is real, I have to rely on what people who do believe such a thing exists to tell me what it wants. It appears to want us to give assholes money, among other things.

Jon Oliver recently noted a few other examples of god telling us to give money to assholes, instead of things that might bring clean water to human beings:

Now, I hope that clears it up. If you were intending to be actively dishonest, I would then ask, what kind of belief system worth having requires dishonesty to sustain itself?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm not religious nor am I an atheist, I'm in the don't have time to worry about it crowd. Why does it seem like atheists know more about the bible than Christians?
    Many atheists became atheists because they read the bible. It really is a moral abomination, once one stops making excuses or cherry picking the nicest bits.

Most Christians read the parts they like, the nice ones, and remember those, then skim over the murder/rapey parts. Atheists, not having the need to sustain a belief that "god is good, and I am good for worshiping him", don't have that constraint.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    heh, sounds like a good time to me...
    Just what I was thinking. Depends on your company of choice, though.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That old moon just hangs there, that little sperm cell has my features. Here we are upside down yet not falling off the planet. How old is the sun?

We just take all that granted, but think about it. How much does the sun weigh and it just hangs there.

Oh no there couldn't be some Supreme Being, sheesh~~~~~~~~~

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Many atheists became atheists because they read the bible. It really is a moral abomination, once one stops making excuses or cherry picking the nicest bits.

Most Christians read the parts they like, the nice ones, and remember those, then skim over the murder/rapey parts. Atheists, not having the need to sustain a belief that "god is good, and I am good for worshiping him", don't have that constraint.
    Thanks. It just always surprises me to see hardcore atheists quoting tons of scripture off the top of their heads. If I were to read something and reject the contents I would not read it again where it seems hardcore atheists not only re-read but thoroughly study the bible just for the sake of arguing with believers. Really makes no sense to me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Because the supreme being got bored, he created life on this microscopic speck of a speck in a speck part of the universe

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Thanks. It just always surprises me to see hardcore atheists quoting tons of scripture off the top of their heads. If I were to read something and reject the contents I would not read it again where it seems hardcore atheists not only re-read but thoroughly study the bible just for the sake of arguing with believers. Really makes no sense to me.
    Or a number of them received formal Bible study.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Or a number of them received formal Bible study.
    I was forced to go to Sunday school when I was younger and I don't remember . At what age are you talking about for this formal bible study?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I was forced to go to Sunday school when I was younger and I don't remember . At what age are you talking about for this formal bible study?
    K-12 Christian schools, genius.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    K-12 Christian schools, genius.
    Ratio of attendees converted to hardcore atheists?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Ratio of attendees converted to hardcore atheists?
    Dunno, but there's a number. There's also a number of formally educated preachers turned atheists.

But don't move the goalposts. You're asking why so many atheists know the Bible. I'm giving you one reason why many of them do.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    I can't quote bible verses and what not. I do know far more about the bible/Christianity than most Christians though tbh. I was raised in a catholic church and went to Sunday school from an early age until like 13 or 14, was baptized, confirmed and all of that bs. There eventually came a point though where I thought this is just a load of bull . At first I just said well I believe in god, just not what the church teaches. Then I went to saying well there is some form of supreme being, I just don't know what it is. Eventually I just fully embraced that there is no god.

There is atheist like the ones you mention though. I like to call them the ass hole atheist. They are the ones if you say you believe will go out of their way to try and piss you off/make you feel stupid. I personally have decided that I don't believe in god. I am fine with others believing in god, just don't try to force it down my throat. I have my beliefs and others are en led to theirs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    So why would an atheist know more about religion than a Christian?

American atheists and agnostics tend to be people who grew up in a religious tradition and consciously gave it up, often after a great deal of reflection and study, said Alan Cooperman, associate director for research at the Pew Forum.

"These are people who thought a lot about religion," he said. "They're not indifferent. They care about it."

Atheists and agnostics also tend to be relatively well educated, and the survey found, not surprisingly, that the most knowledgeable people were also the best educated. However, it said that atheists and agnostics also outperformed believers who had a similar level of education."

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep...urvey-20100928

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Dunno, but there's a number. There's also a number of formally educated preachers turned atheists.

But don't move the goalposts. You're asking why so many atheists know the Bible. I'm giving you one reason why many of them do.
    I'm not moving the goalposts or trying to argue your reasoning. I'm just genuinely curious.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I'm not moving the goalposts or trying to argue your reasoning. I'm just genuinely curious.
    K, I'm not sure where you'd find such stats. Probably not far off of total US population stats tho.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Straight ignorant. Despite what a lot of atheists imply here, religion is not the root of hate. It's just one of the many lenses for it. You can cook up a buffet of reasons for hating gay people that are just as half-baked as the bible crap.
    What's half baked is this notion that it's all one way or another. Paul and the Levites taught it and they were the Church. That is a cause then just as it is now. They even wrote it down for us.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Having my model of the world be true is important to me. Given the harm I see religion doing, it seems important to point out the logical flaws in various religions. If you see someone harming themselves or others, wouldn't you think you had some small duty to stop that harm?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Having my model of the world be true is important to me. Given the harm I see religion doing, it seems important to point out the logical flaws in various religions. If you see someone harming themselves or others, wouldn't you think you had some small duty to stop that harm?
    I grew up in a very Christian home. Grandpa was a Lutheran pastor, aunt is a pastor, very "Christian" family as a whole. I've never witnessed any harm done from my Christian family, quite the opposite. Very limited sample size I'm working with and I've also never been around crazy Christians. All of the Christians I've met have been nothing but good people.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You blame a God you don't believe in for diarrhea and you think He tells people to give their money to televangelists...sounds logical.
    /thread

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Honestly God sounds like a ...Black Man tbqfh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    To me it doesn't matter what an atheist or anyone else knows or thinks about the Bible or if they think God and religion is bull .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    To me it doesn't matter what an atheist or anyone else knows or thinks about the Bible or if they think God and religion is bull .
    Good for you, be your own man

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    There is a reason most people who have walked this planet had a God. There is a reason we have...

In God We Trust
    One Nation Under God
    Easter
    Christmas
    So Help Me God
    I Swear To God
    Mormons
    Pentecostals
    Muslims
    Jehovah Witnesses
    Hinduism
    Buddism
    Catholics
    Holy Wars
    Baptists
    Abilene Christian
    Oklahoma Baptist
    Notre Dame
    Texas Christian
    Dallas Baptist
    BYU
    Lutheran

That is what human beings want in their life. Those who don't get it are few, so who cares about then.

Thread Information