Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Just curious what your go-to cards are and why. I've got way too many now (was trying to build credit), but I'm also looking for some advice...If I have a Chase Sapphire card should I even bother applying for an AMEX Platinum? For those who have the AMEX Platinum--do the perks outweigh the $450 annual fee? What else you guys/gals use for travel/rewards?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have one from HEB and that is all.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I have one from HEB and that is all.
    EBT cards don't count as credit cards, Joe.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just curious what your go-to cards are and why. I've got way too many now (was trying to build credit), but I'm also looking for some advice...If I have a Chase Sapphire card should I even bother applying for an AMEX Platinum? For those who have the AMEX Platinum--do the perks outweigh the $450 annual fee? What else you guys/gals use for travel/rewards?

That $450 fee isn't worth it, imo. I just use one credit card issued by my bank. I hate AMEX and Discover.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    $450 annual fee? What the are the perks?

I find a credit card with 0 annual fees 0% interest introductory rate and just pay it off, cut it up when the introductory period expires. If I have a balance, I find a new credit card with a great introductory transfer rate.

Currently I'm sitting on one Capital One platinum card in my wallet and that's it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    EBT cards don't count as credit cards, Joe.
    Pssst...Banks issue credit cards dumb ass.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I ed up my credit when I was in my early 20s with just 1 credit card.

I dont with them. Debit now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I use Chase Freedom and Chase Ink. No fee and solid cash back cards. American Express sucks. There are a ton of businesses like mine that won't take AMEX because the fees are too high.

I average about $3000 a year in tax free cash back using the cards instead of cash.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Plus+ with us bank

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have an Unobtanium card from Illuminati Credit. The fee is 25K a week and the perks cannot be mentioned online.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    bump

for the last several years, i've basically been exclusively using a citi double cash card (effectively, 2% cash back on all purchases). i liked the simplicity in having just one jack of all trades card even though i know some cards will give more points for some categories. some have those crazy high 5% rewards but on a rotating schedule (and some of those rotations are incredibly useful, and some barely useful)

was looking to get an Amex Blue Cash Preferred card. has no annual fee the first year, and $95 after that. gets 6% on groceries up to 6k, 3% on gas, 3% on "transit" ie parking, rideshares, trains/buses... everything but flights. minor perk but also 6% on streaming services. getting 6% instead of 2% on groceries for just that first 6k already justifies the annual fee. also has a $300 reward after the first 6 months as a kicker to further offset annual fees

have been doing some browsing around, but just curious what you guys got to see what's out there, whether you have accounts with fees that are worth it, etc

i might end up getting a separate card just for airline/travel, but gonna hold off until we find out where wifey's residency is, to see if theres a particular airline it makes sense to partner up with

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I use my Amazon Prime Card for every single purchase I make on Amazon because of the nice reward points, plus they give you a $250 gift card balance just for signing up and there's no annual fee. For everything else I just use a basic Bank Of America travel rewards card. I drained my travel points when I went to London last year, so I gotta build back up.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I use my Amazon Prime Card for every single purchase I make on Amazon because of the nice reward points, plus they give you a $250 gift card balance just for signing up and there's no annual fee..
    Same. I'm sure there may be better deals but I don't travel that much so it seems like a good enough deal for me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I use my Amazon Prime Card for every single purchase I make on Amazon because of the nice reward points, plus they give you a $250 gift card balance just for signing up and there's no annual fee. For everything else I just use a basic Bank Of America travel rewards card. I drained my travel points when I went to London last year, so I gotta build back up.
    Same. I'm sure there may be better deals but I don't travel that much so it seems like a good enough deal for me.
    5% flat on amazon purchases seems dope. i see that some categories rotate and potentially give 10% back. what do those categories typically look like?

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    5% flat on amazon purchases seems dope. i see that some categories rotate and potentially give 10% back. what do those categories typically look like?
    I don’t recall ever getting 10%. I see they promote it but it sounds like cheesy marketing. “Rotating Selection of items”….

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I don’t recall ever getting 10%. I see they promote it but it sounds like cheesy marketing. “Rotating Selection of items”….
    about what i figured. i know there are some cards that rotate 5% stuff every quarter or so. like 5% of gas for 3 months, then the next 3 months is groceries, etc. but yeah 10% seemed excessive for anything significant

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    I have way too many credit cards since my OP

Good thing is I have no revolving balances other than monthly expenses just to use them.

By the way the AMEX Platinum’s annual fee is $695 now! I use the out of it and travel 5-6 months during the year so the travel perks are great, but that’s still stupidly high imo. The trouble with too many cards is that, although it’s nice to have all these open lines of credit, it becomes a chore to remember to use them. My Discover card with $9,000 limit closed 18 months ago because I used it only 1-2x per year. It’s not accepted in Ukraine so it just kinda fell by the wayside. Would’ve been nice if they sent me an email or something warning me of it so I could link it to some online shopping, but whatever

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My Discover card with $9,000 limit closed 18 months ago because I used it only 1-2x per year. It’s not accepted in Ukraine so it just kinda fell by the wayside. Would’ve been nice if they sent me an email or something warning me of it so I could link it to some online shopping, but whatever
    Upon signup or along the way they probably offered to send you emails or texts. Assuming you did not want you box getting bombed, you prolly checked No.

Future, perhaps create an email that has a few characters added to your regular email that you know by heart.
    That way all promotional, reminder bull etc gets sent to that email. It's easy to remember because its 2/3 characters added to your home base email.
    Then just check that once ever couple weeks or whatever.

Works for me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Upon signup or along the way they probably offered to send you emails or texts. Assuming you did not want you box getting bombed, you prolly checked No.

Future, perhaps create an email that has a few characters added to your regular email that you know by heart.
    That way all promotional, reminder bull etc gets sent to that email. It's easy to remember because its 2/3 characters added to your home base email.
    Then just check that once ever couple weeks or whatever.

Works for me.
    i have a gmail address for regular use and then an identically named yahoo address for promo type stuff

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I also have the Citi Double Cash, which I use for work and get an easy 2% extra commission on expenses I end up getting reimbursed anyway.

My newest one is the AAdvantage Executive World Elite, which is a $450 annual fee but that's basically a discounted Admiral's Club membership. Don't even really use it that much since I already have a miles card, but if you fly American and you don't have one of the AAdvantage cards, you're missing out. They recently changed status so that expenditures on an AA card are worth as many miles towards status as flights/legs, so you don't have to fly a lot to get upgraded to one of the top boarding groups.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Amazon Prime Card user myself. Only one I use tbh.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I have three cards I use. Southwest for points, pay most of my bills with it. I have a USAA card with a 14% rate, and a Citi Diamond Preferred card that usually has a 0% for 12-15 months balance transfer option available. I racked up a couple grand in vet bills last year, and it was handy to have for unexpected large transactions if I want to pay off over time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We have a 2% cash back card that we run everything we can through. No annual fee, gets paid off every month. I do have an AMEX travel card also but haven't used it in years, been meaning to close it tbh. I think essentially you get $100 in travel credit for every $7500 you spend on the card.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    We have a 2% cash back card that we run everything we can through. No annual fee, gets paid off every month. I do have an AMEX travel card also but haven't used it in years, been meaning to close it tbh. I think essentially you get $100 in travel credit for every $7500 you spend on the card.
    if theres no fee, theres no real reason to close it. the higher the total available credit you have, the better your utilization score will be. just slice up the cards and keep the account open. i have an old wells fargo 1.5% card that i havent touched in like 5 years now but is still technically open

though that reward is ass. if you're getting 2% cash back anyway, that would mean $150 cash back on every 7500 you're spending

Thread Information