Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.nytimes.com/?action=click...pgtype=article

Sean Hannity basically took him down by accident. Though he probably would have done it himself eventually.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Klowns totally driving the Rupug Klown Kar which contains ALL of the Repugs

Holy ing , y'all Repugs are laughing stock of the planet!

House Assumes The Position to Be Raped by a Tea Bagger

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boehner To Vote For McCarthy For Speaker Nom And In Later House Vote

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...+%28TPMNews%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the kind of MISgovernance you get when Repugs run the show, total disaster, no progress, all problems remained unsolved, even unaddressed.

Benghazi!

email!

baby brains!

whitewater!

crotch salute!

no Highway act

no defense budget

50+ votes to repeal obamacare!

non-stop threats to shutdown govt AND default on govt bond debt obligations.

etc, etc, etc
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 10-08-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boner's lacrimosity is contagious

Some House Republicans Crying At News That McCarthy Dropped Out

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...y-announcement

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The GOP is a total farce right now. Hope the party completely splits at this point. Wouldn't hurt the Dems to break up, too. 4 parties would be a monumental victory for the American public.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disarray is the GOP. But bernies doing work out left too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a circus show tbh. tea baggers

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently they are discussing bringing Newt back since he did so well the first time.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The GOP is a total farce right now. Hope the party completely splits at this point. Wouldn't hurt the Dems to break up, too. 4 parties would be a monumental victory for the American public.
    It can't happen in this country, we're explicitly setup for two and only two political parties by how the president is elected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cosigned.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McCarthy could get the votes of the Billionaires' Boy Toys

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Issa: I'm considering running for House speaker

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/09/rep-i...e-speaker.html

just another super dumb extremist politician with $450M in his pocket, fresh off his huge success as chairmanship of Benhagzi!

Thanks, California, for McCarthy and Issa

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This Do ent Reveals Why The House Of Representatives Is In Complete Chaos

Why the Freedom Caucus has so much power

The House Freedom Caucus, a relatively new group of about 40 Republicans loosely associated with the Tea Party, has an extraordinary amount of power in this process. Any potential speaker needs the support of 218 Republicans on the floor of the House. There are currently 247 Republicans in the House. That’s a large majority but without the Freedom Caucus, no candidate can get to 218.

What the Freedom Caucus actually wants

Yesterday, Politico published the House Freedom Caucus “questionnaire” which it described as pushing for “House rule changes.” The do ent does do that. But it also does a lot more. It seeks substantive commitments from the next speaker that would effectively send the entire country into a tailspin.

For example, the do ent seeks
    a commitment from the next speaker to tie any increase in the debt ceiling to cuts to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

The United States will reach the debt limit on November 5. If the limit is not raised prior to that point, the United States could default on its obligations. This could have disasterous effects on the economy of the United States and the entire world. In 2013, a Treasury Department report found “default could result in recession comparable to or worse than 2008 financial crisis.”

Cutting Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid is extremely unpopular, even among Republicans. These programs are sacrosanct to most Democratic members of Congress. There is effectively no chance that President Obama or Senate Democrats — both of whom would need to support such legislation — would agree to “structural en lement reforms” in the next month under these kind of conditions.

The House
    Freedom Caucus essentially wants to make it impossible for the next speaker to raise the debt ceiling. But that is just the beginning.

The House Freedom Caucus also wants the next speaker to commit to numerous conditions on any agreement to avoid a government shutdown:

The government will run out of money on December 11. Unless additional funding is approved before that date, the government will shut down.

The House Freedom Caucus wants the next speaker to
    commit to not funding the government at all unless President Obama (and Senate Democrats) agree to defund Obamacare, Planned Parenthood and a host of other priorities.

This is essentially the Ted Cruz strategy which prompted at 16-day shutdown in 2013. This would now be enshrined as the official policy of the Speaker Of The House.

The House Freedom Caucus wants the next speaker to commit to oppose any “omnibus” bill that would keep the government running.

Rather, funding for each aspect of government could only be approved by separate bills. This would allow the Republicans to attempt to finance certain favored aspects of government (the military), while shuttering ones they view as largely unnecessary (education, health).

Why McCarthy thinks the House might be ungovernable

For McCarthy, the do ent helps explain why he dropped out of the race. If he doesn’t agree to the demands of the House Freedom Caucus, he cannot secure enough votes to become speaker. But if he does agree to their demands, he will unable to pass legislation that is necessary to avoid disastrous consequences for the country.

McCarthy said that, even if he managed to get elected speaker, he doesn’t see how he would be able to have enough votes to extend the debt ceiling and keep the government open.

Asked by the National Review if he thought the House was governable, McCarthy said, “I don’t know. Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom.”

Why no one wants to be speaker

Top Republicans are calling Paul Ryan and begging him to be speaker. But thus far, he hasn’t agreed to run. None of the candidates currently running appear to have substantial support.

The agenda of the House Freedom Caucus makes a difficult job effectively impossible. Agreeing to their demands means presiding over a period of unprecedented dysfunction in the United States.

Even if a candidate was able to become speaker without formally agreeing to the Freedom Caucus’ most extreme requirements, one would still have to deal with the group — and a larger group of House Republicans sympathetic to them — in order to get anything done.

This is why Boehner wanted out and why no one really wants to take his place.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...omplete-chaos/

So the Billionaires' Boy Toys are ing up govt, ok.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, this job is a career-ender. Ryan was fine with the responsibilities of being VP but now suddenly wants to have time for his family instead of being Speaker. Gingrich might actually work in a pathetic way. Otherwise they could hand it to the Tea Partiers and let them twist in the wind.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just one of the MANY NASTY unChristian CATHOLICS on the extreme right

Reminder: Paul Ryan is a wild-eyed, right-wing nut. He’s acceptable to the insane caucus because he is one of them

The various budgets and spending plans he has offered over the years are aimed, with a single-mindedness that should chill to the bone, at depriving low income people of food and health care so that rich people can own bigger yachts. He has proposed eliminating not just Obamacare, but Medicare, the bulk of Medicaid and CHIP, and giving people “vouchers” instead of money to pay for their health care. Why vouchers? I don’t know. Maybe it just feels like you’re driving the knife in a little more than it would if you simply cut the funding off.

He also proposed raising taxes on the middle class in order to fund massive tax cuts for the wealthy

Ryan justifies taking food from babies, pills from seniors, and money out of your wallet to give to rich people by simply assuming that if you’re not of the elite, it’s because you’re a lazy, no-good waste of space. He likes to argue that the social safety net is “a hammock that lulls able-bodied people to lives of dependency and complacency”. If those hungry babies and senior citizens want their food and medication, I guess they just need to work harder!

Ryan also blithely assumes that if you are able-bodied, then the only reason you could possibly be out of work is you’re too busy sitting on your ass to get a job. His 2014 report on poverty, as Paul Krugman reported, “notes that there has been a large decline in labor force participation, and it claims that antipoverty programs, which reduce the incentive to work, are a major reason for this decline.”

As Krugman points out, the research that Ryan leans on to justify this claim doesn’t not lead to that conclusion at all. In addition, other research shows that social mobility, which Ryan claims he is for, is actually improved by social spending. Kids who have a good meal and a warm bed to sleep in, it turns out, do better in school than ones who are starving in the streets.

Unsurprisingly, Ryan’s ugly assumptions that people are poor because they are lazy have a racist component to them, as well. “We have got this tailspin of culture, in our inner cities in particular,” he told Bill Bennett in 2014, “of men not working and just generations of men not even thinking about working or learning the value and the culture of work, and so there is a real culture problem here that has to be dealt with.”

Ryan must also believe that people’s laziness causes bad weather, as he was one of the 67 Republicans who voted against a disaster relief package for areas affected by Hurricane Sandy.

Ryan’s hostility to abortion and contraception runs deep. Boehner was drummed out, in part, because he was perceived as not eager enough to cut contraception funding to just Planned Parenthood.

But Ryan’s proposals have gone a step further, recommending that all le X funding—which makes contraception and STI treatment, but not abortion, more affordable for low income people—be zeroed out.

Indeed, Ryan is so opposed to women’s rights that he partnered up with the infamous Todd Akin to write Akin’s bizarre theories about women’s bodies and rape into the law.

Akin sponsored a bill, the “No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act” reflecting this belief that narrowed the definitionof “rape” to “forcible rape”, i.e. unless you put up a fight and were subdued with violence, the non-consensual sex that was forced on you wasn’t rape.

Guess who was his co-sponsor on that bill? None other than Paul Ryan.

The it’s-only-rape-if-you-fought-back bill was his baby.

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/09/remi...s_one_of_them/

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should elect Netenyahu speaker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets just face the fact that GOP has turned into a defacto nationalist party like the parties in Europe. This usually happens when countries start to struggle. Not good for any of us.

This possibly means the American empire is entering its last phase

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOP Donor Confronted McCarthy About Alleged Affair Before Exit

Hours before House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) abruptly announced Thursday that he was dropping out of the race for House speaker, a GOP donor reportedly confronted him in an email about an alleged affair with a congressional colleague.

The Huffington Post reported that the email, which it obtained from an anonymous source, was sent by a Chicago-based GOP donor named Steve Baer.

"Kevin, why not resign like Bob Livingston?" the email's subject line read, according to HuffPost. The reference was to a Louisiana Republican who resigned in 1998 over an extramarital affair after being designated as the successor to former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA).

Notably, Rep. Walter Jones (R-NC) sent a letter Wednesday to the chair of the House Republican caucus, Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA), urging that any leadership candidate take himself out of the running "if there are any misdeeds he has committed since joining Congress that will embarrass himself, the Republican Conference and the House of Representatives if they become public."

Fox News anchor Shepard Smith confronted Jones about the connotations of that letter in a Thursday interview after McCarthy dropped out of the race for speaker.

"What do you know about Kevin McCarthy I don’t know?” Smith asked.

"Well, I don’t know,” Jones replied. “This was written primarily because I’ve been here 20 years, and I remember the night that Newt stepped down, the next night Bob Livingston stepped down, and the chaos it put the Republican Party in.”

Smith wasn't buying that Jones' letter was a general entreaty to the Republican caucus at large. He asked Jones repeatedly why he would write the letter if he didn't have a particular member of Congress' transgressions in mind, but Jones repeatedly dodged that line of inquiry.

“Well anything you want to read into it, you’re welcome to read into it,” Jones eventually answered. “I gave you an honest answer. That’s all I can do.”

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/kevi...+%28TPMNews%29

Billionaires threatening to blackmail McCarthy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right-wing smear politics at its grossest: The anti-choice, women-hater caucus behind the Kevin McCarthy, Renee Ellmers affair rumor

As Rep. Kevin McCarthy beats a hasty exit from the race for House Speaker, there was a sudden surge of rumors flying around that part of the reason for his sudden departure is threats that an alleged affair with Rep. Renee Ellmers would surface. The rumors, which seem to have started mainly—perhaps exclusively—in right-wing circles then quickly broke into the mainstream media.

Both parties deny it, and the evidence for the affair is awfully thin, mostly a bunch of chatter from the same people who think Benghazi is a thing and that Planned Parenthood sells baby parts. In other words, not exactly the reality-based community. But there’s a long and hilarious history of self-righteous “family values” Republicans being outed as hypocritical adulterers, which is enough to push the allegations into the mainstream media.

I personally would love to believe this rumor. Both McCarthy and Ellmers are anti-choicers that would see your life derailed by private sexual choices, and so seeing them get the medicine they’d dish out to others would be delightful. But there’s reasons to be skeptical of this particular rumor.

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/09/righ...affair_rumors/

Thread Information