Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the most ambitious game in history. SC alpha 3.0 is out this year. They're taking their time with it. How can you not care about a game when they're actually taking the time to do it right? Rushing a game is how you get a piece of like No Man's Sky.

Alpha 3 is already going to be one of the most immersive games in history. For comparison, Alan wake took 6 years. Too human took 9. Prey took 11. Dragon age took at least 5. Elder scrolls III took 6 and had over 100 man hour years invested in it. Fallout 3 took 6. HL2 took 5. LA Noire took 7. I could go on. SC is now in it's 5th year of development, and the size and complexity of this game makes GTA look tiny by comparison. It might not release a full version in 2017 but what's already there by the time it does is going to be well beyond anything we've ever seen in gaming in terms of scope and technical prowess. The reason it's been "pushed back" is because it was initially supposed to be a single player space flight game with 5 or 6 ships to fly. Now it's a single player campaign, an MMO (subscription free) in space with dozens to hundreds of different activities to participate in, and it's blending FPS and boarding parties into the mix as well as full planetary landings with no cinematic breaks. So yeah, they've pushed it back from a fairly ambitious game to easily the most ambitious game ever created.
    Games that keep failing to meet deadlines almost always end up really disappointing though. When AMD was offering Star Citizen ships two years ago with their video cards I was getting excited about the game, like it was near release. And now we're not even seeing it in 2017? It's looking like they're biting off more than they can chew with this game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Games that keep failing to meet deadlines almost always end up really disappointing though. When AMD was offering Star Citizen ships two years ago with their video cards I was getting excited about the game, like it was near release. And now we're not even seeing it in 2017? It's looking like they're biting off more than they can chew with this game.
    They had no idea they were going to bring in $120,000,000 in buy-in. Remember, their initial kickstarter goal was something like 2 million. They decided to forgo making the game that was easy and limited and do something really insane.

It might suck, but all signs so far are pointing to just an incredible experience. Did you watch the demo? That full planetary landing is ing beyond anything I've ever seen in a game. The game doesn't need to be at full version for it to be an amazing experience, and I plan to start sinking a ton of time into it with alpha 3.0. It's already going to be the deepest space sim ever at that point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They had no idea they were going to bring in $120,000,000 in buy-in. Remember, their initial kickstarter goal was something like 2 million. They decided to forgo making the game that was easy and limited and do something really insane.

It might suck, but all signs so far are pointing to just an incredible experience. Did you watch the demo? That full planetary landing is ing beyond anything I've ever seen in a game. The game doesn't need to be at full version for it to be an amazing experience, and I plan to start sinking a ton of time into it with alpha 3.0. It's already going to be the deepest space sim ever at that point.
    Meh, no one should play alpha games unless they're getting paid for it. That's going to be so buggy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the most ambitious game in history. SC alpha 3.0 is out this year. They're taking their time with it. How can you not care about a game when they're actually taking the time to do it right? Rushing a game is how you get a piece of like No Man's Sky.

Alpha 3 is already going to be one of the most immersive games in history. For comparison, Alan wake took 6 years. Too human took 9. Prey took 11. Dragon age took at least 5. Elder scrolls III took 6 and had over 100 man hour years invested in it. Fallout 3 took 6. HL2 took 5. LA Noire took 7. I could go on. SC is now in it's 5th year of development, and the size and complexity of this game makes GTA look tiny by comparison. It might not release a full version in 2017 but what's already there by the time it does is going to be well beyond anything we've ever seen in gaming in terms of scope and technical prowess. The reason it's been "pushed back" is because it was initially supposed to be a single player space flight game with 5 or 6 ships to fly. Now it's a single player campaign, an MMO (subscription free) in space with dozens to hundreds of different activities to participate in, and it's blending FPS and boarding parties into the mix as well as full planetary landings with no cinematic breaks. So yeah, they've pushed it back from a fairly ambitious game to easily the most ambitious game ever created.
    It looks pretty damn good for a F2P game tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With a game of this scope, Wild Cobra is gonna need at least 4 more 1440p monitors to fit his spreadsheet

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    With a game of this scope, Wild Cobra is gonna need at least 4 more 1440p monitors to fit his spreadsheet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To get a good comparison of SC complexity, we're likely introducing the game we're working on at PSX in December and shipping by February, and it will more or less take 1.5 excel sheets, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To get a good comparison of SC complexity, we're likely introducing the game we're working on at PSX in December and shipping by February, and it will more or less take 1.5 excel sheets, tbh
    you and your ing bare bones hints at your profession.. I don't blame you, I'm sure your HR department has a full section dedicated to Spurstalk posting disciplinary procedure

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Double post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you and your ing bare bones hints at your profession.. I don't blame you, I'm sure your HR department has a full section dedicated to Spurstalk posting disciplinary procedure
    That's actually 2 excel sheets worth, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honest to god I can't believe this game hasn't been outed as a scam yet, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the disinfo agents tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And to think Cry Havoc is actually talking like he's going over to the Nvidia side to build a rig for this POS game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the tech forum has been a pretty solid place lately.. Thanks to sociopaths like WC and Ratchet n Clank providing good material

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And to think Cry Havoc is actually talking like he's going over to the Nvidia side to build a rig for this POS game.
    havoc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing , we're not even going to see this game in 2017

It doesn't even look that impressive anymore. In 2014 this game looked unbelievable, but AAA games have caught up now.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/23...d-indefinitely

Star Citizen single-player delayed indefinitely
    By Joel Hruska on October 11, 2016 at 2:21 pm 65 Comments

Cloud Imperium Games, makers of the sprawling, controversial, and long-delayed space simulator/FPS shooter/single-player space combat le known as Star Citizen, announced the game’s single-player campaign, Squadron 42, will be delayed indefinitely. The reason is simple: With so much left undone, there are huge chunks of the single-player campaign yet unfinished. CIG had originally promised Squadron 42 would ship in 2016, but it’s now clear there’s no way that could happen. The fact that the company has yet to announce a new shipping date isn’t particularly promising, either.

This slide is courtesy of Kotaku UK, which recently did a huge write-up on what happened to Star Marine, the FPS segment of Star Citizen, as well as an overview of Star Citizen as a whole. That story does much to explain what happened, and paints its delays and troubles as being born of both technical difficulties — CryEngine was never designed to deliver the kind of le Chris Roberts, the CEO of CIG and the creator of game franchises like Wing Commander, wanted to create. Overhauling the engine has, according to some CIG developers, been more work than actually writing a new engine from scratch would have been.

Keeping so many different teams of workers building separate components of the game on the same page led to other problems. Kotaku writes that the entire Star Marine assets had to be continually rewritten because the design targets were changing at CIG HQ. At one point, after months of work, CIG discovered that one of its contractors had created all of their content to the wrong scale — meaning none of it could be integrated into the game. Tearing up and redoing all that work was an agonizing process, and there’s apparently been a lot of work that needed to be redone at one point or another.

Rigbht now, Star Citizen’s plan is to bring one chapter of the campaign to a final polish, and then showcase that chapter as both an illustration that something is being done on the le and to demonstrate the art and style choices that have been shown in some screenshots and videos. Kotaku UK’s extensive reporting (which you really ought to read) notes that there is no sign of the fraud or rampant abuse of funds that some corners of the internet have insisted must exist. It also notes CIG has brought a great deal of development that used to be spun off to contractors in-house. The company has realigned itself to better execute its own vision. But that vision remains utterly unprecedented in terms of scope, and that alone could be enough to doom the project.

What people often don’t realize is that building a game as complex as Star Citizen requires an equally unprecedented level of backend management and system integration. You need a game engine that can tie all these various components together, a physics engine that can handle interactions between human beings, small starships, or giant capital ships. There was no way to jimmy the CryEngine into providing these capabilities without fundamentally rewriting it, because no other modern game has tried to do these things (Battlecruiser 3000 AD took a stab at it, but that game was stuck in its own development for years).

It’ll be surprising if we see Squadron 42 in 2017 at all, and Kotaku writes they still don’t expect Star Citizen to launch as a whole within the next year or two. When we’ll finally see the shipping le is anyone’s guess.
    ing Duke Nukem Forever all over again
    Cry Havoc

Anyone think Star Citizen will beat Half Life 3 to market?
    Last edited by baseline bum; 10-11-2016 at 11:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , Derrick Rose came back before this game went on sale...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , Derrick Rose came back before this game went on sale...
    Im friend with the Star Citizen Producer who is based in Montreal (I recruited for Star Citizen) he left that ship a few months ago
    Too much micromanagement from Chris Robers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im friend with the Star Citizen Producer who is based in Montreal (I recruited for Star Citizen) he left that ship a few months ago
    Too much micromanagement from Chris Robers
    Let me guess: he left for Syria?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me guess: he left for Syria?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're not talking about wojtek?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're not talking about wojtek?
    Obviously not

Wojtek can not be reached at this time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing , we're not even going to see this game in 2017

It doesn't even look that impressive anymore. In 2014 this game looked unbelievable, but AAA games have caught up now.

ing Duke Nukem Forever all over again
    Cry Havoc

Anyone think Star Citizen will beat Half Life 3 to market?
    Alpha 3.0 will be out around year's end. Just keep talking .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah dude, this game looks ing *terrible*.

Thread Information