Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How a top prospect is bucking the system

California freshman Jaylen Brown – No. 4 in The Vertical’s 2016 NBA mock draft – will pass on hiring an agent and consult with the National Basketball Players Association on his rookie contract, league sources told The Vertical.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-a-t...181542611.html
    Hah interesting! Since rookie contracts are pretty much predetermined he's hoping to save himself the agent fee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only we had assets to trade... we don't have anyone we could spare. Our best guys we want to keep, Danny and Patty are on very good contracts and they give good production f I r their contracts + they are not stars Boston would be after. Diaw is a guy who only a team that wants cap will want to trade for and Tony, /sigh I know where you stand on him. It's possible Boston will have to practically give some picks away if they don't land a big fish. It's likely they land someone though is my guess. Still yep, they are interesting to speculate about.
    I just made a post in another thread to the effect that I am beginning to suspect that it is PATFO's plan to stand pat this off-season (essentially writing off next season) and make big moves in 2017 under an even bigger cap. The best we can do in free agency this season is really just a band-aid. But if PATFO waits until next off-season to say good-bye to Tim, Manu and Boris, then Tony's expiring contract will have more value at that time than he has this off-season. In all likelihood we will retain Tony this season. It remains to be seen whether PATFO brings in another PG with the first unit and moves Tony to the sixth man role or they truly stand pat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just made a post in another thread to the effect that I am beginning to suspect that it is PATFO's plan to stand pat this off-season (essentially writing off next season) and make big moves in 2017 under an even bigger cap. The best we can do in free agency this season is really just a band-aid. But if PATFO waits until next off-season to say good-bye to Tim, Manu and Boris, then Tony's expiring contract will have more value at that time than he has this off-season. In all likelihood we will retain Tony this season. It remains to be seen whether PATFO brings in another PG with the first unit and moves Tony to the sixth man role or they truly stand pat.
    Makes sense. I really had a sense for both Tim and Manu that this was it like you, but you are right that the way they structured the contracts indicates some foresight that they had planned ahead of time to make the moves in 2017 instead.

The way this season turned out they realistically must know we are not frontrunners for a championship. The team is almost entirely to its full potential with no way to get better unless our couple of youngsters improve. We can actually expect the oldest guys to get worse (I hope not Kobe levels) and maybe improvement from younger guys won't be enough to overcome that decline. If you think about it, Kawhi reaching superstar levels this season, and the addition of LMA weren't enough to offset the huge decline from the big 3.

If we could only change a single guy I would get a young big although our backcourt is in a poor state. The reason is that Tim's decline probably will require rest. If we don't bring in a big it will require us to play lot of small ball with KA every time Timmy needs to rest. That's not ideal. Besides I think D west and Diaw cannot play next to each other. And the Spurs have to decide whether to resign Boban anyways, so the bigs is probably the one area they need to look at. LJC may work as the 5th big (unsure what Bertans is, he might be more of a tall 3)

For backcourt depth I suspect they give Simmons his second season. They were still high enough on him not to waive him like they did with Ray and he had a few good games where he gave flashes, but they should draft your guy Brogdon or someone else, BPA to compete with him just in case he's reached his ceiling and comes back the same. An international veteran like Nando is another avenue (doesn't have to be Nando, just his name came to mind when thinking about international guards available Pop could grab to strengthen the backcourt in a moderate contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SAGirl I kind of like the idea of bringing back Nando. As for bigs, if we were to stand pat, I would expect us to possibly sign Hibbert (Pau?) for cheap (mainly because LMA doesn't play center ). Hopefully, we have learned never to team West/Diaw, and we play Tim roughly 12-15 mins per night about 60 games total.

Basically, I am suggesting that PATFO's strategy this off-season is tantamount to a "mini-tank" in order to be in better position to make a pretty major roster overhaul next season. Plus, if we do scrape into a lower seed in the play-offs, we improve our historic draft position by 8-10 slots.
    Last edited by sasaint; 05-19-2016 at 09:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SAGirl I kind of like the idea of bringing back Nando. As for bigs, if we were to stand pat, I would expect us to possibly sign Hibbert (Pau?) for cheap (mainly because LMA doesn't play center ). Hopefully, we have learned never to team West/Diaw, and we play Tim roughly 12-15 mins per night about 60 games total.

Basically, I am suggesting that PATFO's strategy this off-season is tantamount to a "mini-tank" in order to be in better position to make a pretty major roster overhaul next season. Plus, if we do scrape into a lower seed in the play-offs, we improve our historic draft position by 8-10 slots.
    I am not sure who is realistic to get for a big but it should be someone they want for more than one season. That's where maybe the Diaw contract can be traded to somebody and net us that guy (or a guard). Then we use cap for a younger big. I know some are loathe to give up on Diaw. He's very skilled and was great for us 2013-14. When motivated he can swing games. But I am sure PATFO are looking.

I think it's not so much LMA not wanting to play C. I think he's done it when we need it, it will just really wear him out to do it full season most of the season. He needs someone to give him a breather. When TD was resting D west gave a hand but I would rather have someone else, situational. I think they want to keep Boban. Like you I am unsure on him. Would you rather have Boban or Dwest? Can't believe I am saying this, but I will I'd go with the youngest guy who has upside bc we need some upside in our team. Boban can be good in the bench. o get no shortage of shots with Anderson, who likes to dish, Manu, Simmons, even Nando liked the PnR... Boban is a presence inside. But we shall see. What do you think about him since you have followed the Spurs longer, Pop played him a lot for a rookie even in the playoffs some, that uncommon right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sure who is realistic to get for a big but it should be someone they want for more than one season. That's where maybe the Diaw contract can be traded to somebody and net us that guy (or a guard). Then we use cap for a younger big. I know some are loathe to give up on Diaw. He's very skilled and was great for us 2013-14. When motivated he can swing games. But I am sure PATFO are looking.

I think it's not so much LMA not wanting to play C. I think he's done it when we need it, it will just really wear him out to do it full season most of the season. He needs someone to give him a breather. When TD was resting D west gave a hand but I would rather have someone else, situational. I think they want to keep Boban. Like you I am unsure on him. Would you rather have Boban or Dwest? Can't believe I am saying this, but I will I'd go with the youngest guy who has upside bc we need some upside in our team. Boban can be good in the bench. o get no shortage of shots with Anderson, who likes to dish, Manu, Simmons, even Nando liked the PnR... Boban is a presence inside. But we shall see. What do you think about him since you have followed the Spurs longer, Pop played him a lot for a rookie even in the playoffs some, that uncommon right?
    If we are hoping for a big off-season in 2017, then I would not be surprised to see us keep both Boban and West. But if Tim and Diaw return, we will see a completely different rotation - one such as ceperez and I advocated last fall - bringing Tim off the bench. LMA mostly at the 5, paired with West, with Boris as the backup 4 and Duncan and Boban sharing the backup 5. I hesitate to say anything about Pop's use of f Boban in the play-offs. He is such a unique player in every way that it really seems fruitless to compare Pop's use of him. Yeah, Pop gave him a few pretty empty minutes against the Grizz, but then reverted to form against OKC until he became desperate. One question that hasn't been explored here on ST is Boris' benching. Did it have anything to do with his flexor injury? Another interesting question is what about Bonner's spot on the team. A last interesting question is: will Pop finally decide on a regular position/rotation for Kyle and start to develop him in that role?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't think Nando wants to come back to Spurs or US. He seemed ready to leave the NBA for good.

Not sure who is out there in terms of an international guard?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jabari Young Verified account ‏@JabariJYoung 2h2 hours ago Weber State forward Joel Bolomboy expected to workout for #Spurs

6 retweets 8 likes

Jessica Camerato Verified account ‏@JCameratoCSN 9h9 hours ago Jaron Blossomgame (@JaronBgame) to work out with Spurs 5/22, Suns 5/24. Has worked out with Sixers (today), Jazz, Celtics, Cavs, Clippers.

Jessica Camerato Verified account ‏@JCameratoCSN 9h9 hours ago Isaiah Miles has worked out with Sixers (today), Celtics, Nets. To work out with Rockets, Mavericks, Knicks, Bucks, Jazz, Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress

Thomas Walkup is an incredibly unique, versatile player. Great for him to get this platform to showcase his skills. Feel is off the charts.

Bobby Marks Verified account ‏@BobbyMarks42 Bobby Marks Retweeted Jonathan Givony
    The one thing (among many) that stand out is the high release on his shot.
    Thomas Walkup was one of my favorite players in the NCAA tournament this year. Wow, what a compe or. He had some Manu-like effort - fairly relentless. He's not the best three-point shooter but he has decent form. He has a lion heart and is worthy of a look from the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ryan Miller ‏@CoachRyanMiller 2h2 hours ago Good luck to @22gang_ as he worked out with the @spurs today. Is there a better 2-way player in the draft?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder when Kostas Antetokounmpo is going to enter the draft, maybe next year?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft Net has us taking a French International player:

Guerschon Yabusele - PF - Ht.6'8 Wt. 240pds , 20yrs old
    He kinda reminds me of a more athletic Blair..........He is a big big boy and he has good feet not slow at all and good body control. Would like to get some feedback from anyone who has seen him play. To me he is a PF that could play SF and could get away with playing Center when playing small ball.

I still would like us to somehow get a second rounder and draft SG Isaia Cordinier another French kid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder when Kostas Antetokounmpo is going to enter the draft, maybe next year?
    He's very likely a lottery pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jessica Starbard ‏@JessicaStarbard 6h6 hours ago Swanigan says he's also worked out with Suns, Spurs, Timberwolves, Pelicans and Rockets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski @WojVerticalNBA
    Sources on @TheVertical: Seton Hall sop re Isaiah Whitehead will stay in NBA Draft. Formal announcement Wednesday. Potential 1st-rounder.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently 9th and 12th picks are potentially up for grab

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like DX came out with their first mock that includes needs. It has the Spurs passing up on Beasley to draft Zhou Qi. I'd flip out if they did that -- especially if they stash him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like DX came out with their first mock that includes needs. It has the Spurs passing up on Beasley to draft Zhou Qi. I'd flip out if they did that -- especially if they stash him.
    ughhh!!! what a terrible pick. I am with you. I want a guard. either a PG or SG. we need an infusion of talent there. we have some younger big kids to develop but nothing at guard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5. Virginia Cavaliers
    If you're looking for draft-related intrigue, look elsewhere. (Other than the off-chance Malcolm Brogdon might sneak into the first round and fulfill his destiny as the San Antonio Spurs' latest personnel miracle, of course. Make it happen, R.C.!) Virginia's next roster has been more or less set since their 2015-16 season ended in March's Elite Eight heartbreak. As we wrote in April, Cavaliers coach Tony Bennett will not only rely on his customary corps of ever-improving veterans. The architect of three straight top-two seeds will also, for the first time, mix in a top-10 recruiting class exclusively stocked with top-100 talents -- plus elite Memphis transfer Austin Nichols. That sound you just heard was the rest of the ACC shuddering.

From NCAA early ranking on espn.com. I dont know where is that coming from.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5. Virginia Cavaliers
    If you're looking for draft-related intrigue, look elsewhere. (Other than the off-chance Malcolm Brogdon might sneak into the first round and fulfill his destiny as the San Antonio Spurs' latest personnel miracle, of course. Make it happen, R.C.!) Virginia's next roster has been more or less set since their 2015-16 season ended in March's Elite Eight heartbreak. As we wrote in April, Cavaliers coach Tony Bennett will not only rely on his customary corps of ever-improving veterans. The architect of three straight top-two seeds will also, for the first time, mix in a top-10 recruiting class exclusively stocked with top-100 talents -- plus elite Memphis transfer Austin Nichols. That sound you just heard was the rest of the ACC shuddering.

From NCAA early ranking on espn.com. I dont know where is that coming from.
    That guy has good character, long arms and big hands, won the best defensive player award twice, routinely takes on the toughest defensive assignments from positions 1 to 4, has improved his 3pt shot, and led a top-ranked team in offence. Perhaps he has some similarities to certain Spurs players?

Also helps that Brogdon has admitted to being a Spurs fan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jessica Camerato ‏@JCameratoCSN 24h24 hours ago LSU PG Tim Quarterman to work out for the Bulls and Hornets next. Has worked out with the Sixers, Lakers, Spurs, Bucks, Nets, Rockets, Mavs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jessica Camerato ‏@JCameratoCSN 24h24 hours ago Boise St. C James Webb III worked out w PHI Monday. He estimated he has 10-11 workouts left, incl. BKN next, MIN, GSW, SAS, HOU, LAL, WAS.

Jessica Camerato ‏@JCameratoCSN 24h24 hours ago Texas PG Isaiah Taylor to work out for the Hawks, Celtics, Nets, Kings, Rockets, Spurs, Mavs. Worked out with Sixers Monday.

Jessica Camerato ‏@JCameratoCSN May 20 Jaron Blossomgame (@JaronBgame) to work out with Spurs 5/22, Suns 5/24. Has worked out with Sixers (today), Jazz, Celtics, Cavs, Clippers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than Jaylen Brown have the Spurs worked out any other lottery level talent?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't. Qi is a gamble, but you can't teach the length he has (Gobert size), you can't teach the mobility he has, and finally, he has basketball skills (ball handling, shooting, shot blocking). He needs to add strength, but that is possible - you just need to be willing to work in the weight room and eat right.

A 25% chance of busting completely, a 70% chance of becoming a Bonner or a Ryan Anderson, a 5% chance of becoming Chinese Dirk... That's a decent gamble for 29th.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That guy has good character, long arms and big hands, won the best defensive player award twice, routinely takes on the toughest defensive assignments from positions 1 to 4, has improved his 3pt shot, and led a top-ranked team in offence. Perhaps he has some similarities to certain Spurs players?

Also helps that Brogdon has admitted to being a Spurs fan.
    I know that guy pretty well. Didn`t know about being Spurs fan. Thanks for info.

Thread Information