Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ex-gov Rick Snyder's cellphones subpoenaed.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...ng/1333221001/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another poor black city poisoning its blacks with leaded water and

no funds to relace 15K lead service lines, AND neglecting / lying about it.

Tainted Water, Ignored Warnings and a Boss With a Criminal Past

How a long line of questionable decisions led to the crisis over lead contamination in Newark.

latest in a long line of questionable actions that have created one of the biggest environmental crises to hit a major American city in recent years.

This month,
    the city told tens of thousands of Newark residents to drink bottled water, but only after receiving a stern warning from federal officials about lead leaching into tap water from aging pipes.

More than 13 percent of the children in New Jersey afflicted with elevated lead levels in 2017 were in Newark, which accounted for only 3.8 percent of the state’s children.

a shadow over the presidential campaign of Senator Cory Booker, who served as Newark’s mayor from 2006 to 2013.

In 2013, an agency that Mr. Booker had revamped was gutted over a scandal involving kickbacks, no-show contracts and millions of dollars in wasted public funds. Eight officials were later charged in federal indictments, six of whom pleaded guilty.

blunders at all levels of government in safeguarding Newark’s water infrastructure.

City officials brushed aside warnings and allowed the system to deteriorate,

while state and federal regulators often did not intervene forcefully enough to help prevent the crisis.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/24/nyregion/newark-lead-water-crisis.html

I'm sure privatizing Newark water would fix the lead problem, right?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Flint’s Children Suffer in Class After Years of Drinking the Lead-Poisoned Water

The city’s schools, stretched even before the lead crisis, are struggling with demands for individualized education programs and behavioral interventions for children with high lead exposure.

The contamination of this long-struggling city’s water exposed nearly 30,000 schoolchildren to a neurotoxin known to have detrimental effects on children’s developing brains and nervous systems.

That lawsuit forced the state to establish the $3 million Neurodevelopmental Center of Excellence, which began screening students.

The screenings then confirmed a range of disabilities, which have prompted still more requests for intervention.

The percentage of the city’s students who qualify for special education services has nearly doubled, to 28 percent, from 15 percent the year the lead crisis began, and the city’s screening center has received more than 1,300 referrals since December 2018.

The results:

About 70 percent of the students evaluated have required school accommodations for issues like attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, also known as A.D.H.D.; dyslexia; or mild intellectual impairment,

“We have a school district where all that’s left are damaged kids who are being exposed to other damaged kids, and it’s causing more damage,”

proving the cause of the students’ problems was not the point. Many of the problems uncovered by the lead testing could certainly have existed before.

“What the research says is that as they get older, and the cognitive demands get harder, we will start to see the demands get higher, and the resources aren’t going to be there,”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/06/us/politics/flint-michigan-schools.html?te=1&nl=morning-briefing&emc=edit_NN_p_20191107&section=topNews?ca mpaign_id=9&instance_id=13673&segment_id=18588&use r_id=992d608214b505003aa04bf10a595031&regi_id=8082 1797tion=topNews

Undeveloped, 3rd America The Beautiful for All Americans, as MISgoverned by criminal, racist Repugs

================

Lead in Canada's drinking water worse than Flint crisis

Hundreds of thousands of Canadians have been unwittingly exposed to high levels of lead in their drinking water, according to a yearlong investigation conducted by more than 120 journalists.

The investigation found that contamination in several cities was consistently higher than it ever was in Flint,

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lead-ca...on-2019-11-04/

and of course, BigFood wins HUGE because their bottled water (any lead in it? tested?) costs 10K time more than tap water.

How many investor/Capitalist-owned water systems are delivering polluted water?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'De able': Internal Emails Reveal Water Contractor Knew About Lead Risks in Flint Months Before City's Public Confirmation

"I think anyone has to ask themselves how the story in Flint would be different five years later now ifVeolia had made those private concerns public."

executives at a water company contracted to assess the water system in Flint, Michigan privately expressed concerns that residents "might be at risk of being poisoned by lead in their tap water months before the city publicly admitted the problem in 2015."

"The do ents show a Veolia executive, a month before the corporation told the city its water was safe, saying that 'lead seems to be a problem,'"

Veolia, one of the largest utility companies in the world, publicly raised concerns about lead earlier. It also points out that while senior employees were privately raising such concerns, "Veolia was exploring other lucrative contracts with the city."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/12/10/de able-internal-emails-reveal-water-contractor-knew-about-lead-risks-flint?cd-origin=rss

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Snyder covered it up for five years

Hundreds of confidential pages of do ents obtained by VICE, along with emails and interviews, reveal a coordinated, five-year cover-up overseen by Snyder and his top officials to prevent news of Flint’s deadly water from going public—while there was still time to save lives—and then limit the damage after the crisis made global headlines.

All told, the waterborne bacterial disease may have killed at least 115 people in 2014 and 2015, and potentially more whose pneumonia wasn’t officially considered Legionnaires’ disease, the illness caused by Legionella. In addition to the outbreak, Flint's water supply was contaminated with lead and other heavy metals, harmful bacteria, carcinogens, and other toxic components. This wreaked havoc on Flint residents, leaving them with a laundry list of illnesses, including kidney and liver problems, severe bone and muscle pain, gastrointestinal problems, loss of teeth, autoimmune diseases, neurological deficiencies, miscarriages, Parkinson’s disease, severe fatigue, seizures, and volatile mood disorders.
    https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/artic...-lied-about-it .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    VICE has learned that prosecutors leading the criminal investigation secretly subpoenaed key members of Snyder’s inner circle, including chief of staff Dennis Muchmore, Snyder's “fixer" and top adviser Rich Baird, and state treasurer Andy Dillon, as they built a case against the governor. Do ents reveal the governor’s chief legal counsel, Beth Clement, knew Snyder’s top officials were subpoenaed by prosecutors, suggesting Snyder knew as well (a spokesperson for Clement, now a judge, said she couldn’t comment on a case pending in any court). The aggressive investigation into Snyder may explain why the governor’s office’s legal fees, paid for by state taxpayers, came to at least $8.5 million in the years after the water crisis made national headlines.

Snyder and his administration were investigated by a team led by special prosecutor Todd Flood from 2016 to 2019. The team concluded that the administration had “committed conspiracies of ongoing crimes, like an organized crime unit,” a source with knowledge of the probe told VICE.

But before a case against Snyder could develop, the state’s newly appointed attorney general, Dana Nessel, fired top prosecutors and investigators pursuing the case.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worst day of Obama's presidency was when he drank the water and covered up for Snyder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Michigan to settle with Flint for $800M

They got off easy. 80% to go to kids then under 18. Pool is 7,500 to 20,000. That means settlement per person = $24,000 to $64,000.
    https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2020...-strategy.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Figure went down:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Michigan to settle with Flint for $800M
    So what's the latest on the criminal investigation?
    All swept under the corruption rug?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what's the latest on the criminal investigation?
    All swept under the corruption rug?
    Good question, I haven't seen the details of the settlement. I'd be surprised if it didn't hold Michigan and its officers blameless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ let me guess, Snyder and the other demonic polluters get assigned super sleaze liarwyers on the taxpayers dime?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Praying for a conviction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ let me guess, Snyder and the other demonic polluters get assigned super sleaze liarwyers on the taxpayers dime?
    I wouldn't know, go ask a lawyer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the US is a 1st world hole

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the US is a 1st world hole

specifically, the parts of the USA with blacks and browns governed by racist Repugs are holes.

eg, blacks and browns living in cheap housing close to chemical plants in TX and LA, aka environmental INjustice.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How are Michigan residents still drinking water with toxic levels of lead years after Flint?

Environmental racism, corroded old pipes, and flawed regulation are at play.

https://grist.org/health/how-are-michigan-residents-still-drinking-water-with-toxic-levels-of-lead-years-after-flint

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Benton Harbor has been waiting three years for a solution to its lead contamination problem

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Benton Harbor has been waiting three years for a solution to its lead contamination problem

I drive through that way quite a bit, but I wouldn't stop there. too many ghetto people. Just like Muskegon Heights or Flint or East Detroit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I drive through that way quite a bit, but I wouldn't stop there. too many ghetto people. Just like Muskegon Heights or Flint or East Detroit.
    we already knew you were bigoted, but thanks for sharing

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we already knew you were bigoted, but thanks for sharing
    Bigoted? More like mindful and on the money in terms of common sense. Ghetto blacks see a white man as an opportunity for "equitable" revenge so they will shoot us on sight. They see white women as rape opportunities. Typical sub simian savages.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bigoted? More like mindful and on the money in terms of common sense. Ghetto blacks see a white man as an opportunity for "equitable" revenge so they will shoot us on sight. They see white women as rape opportunities. Typical sub simian savages.

thanks for underscoring my point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $5000 per head, so hard to put a price tag on physical and neurological damage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like AG Nessel protected Michigan and shafted Flint by ditching financial fraud and RICO charges in the 11th hour. Fired the prosecutors and let crooked pols off the hook.

Thread Information