Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SBNation: NBA Mock Draft 2016: Brandon Ingram is the right choice for 76ers
    By Kevin O'Connor  kevinOConnorNBA on May 17, 2016, 8:46p

29. San Antonio Spurs - G Gary Payton II, Oregon State

Payton's primary weakness is his shooting and the Spurs have a strong history of improving jumper mechanics. Plus, Tony Parker won't last forever and Payton could be groomed behind him over the next few seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Radio Troy: 2016 NBA MOCK DRAFT
    May 18, 2016

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    meh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gary Payton II, Senior, PG/SG, Oregon State
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...p-Day-One-5479

8 points, 4 assists, 2 turnovers, 1 steal, 5 fouls, 4-6 2P, 23.3 minutes

Payton didn't exactly steal the show in Thursday's 5-on-5 session, but he stayed in his lane offensively, used his athleticism in transition, did a nice job of staying in front of Cat Barber on defense, and made a couple of impressive passes while on the move in the half court. Payton isn't the most natural point guard, often looking to give the ball up rather than probing and facilitating offense. He found some success, however, in quick actions to the rim, displaying impressive vision and accuracy on a drive and kick in traffic while also showing excellent touch and instincts on a lob pass. Payton's highlight of the day came when he barreled down the lane unguarded and hammered home a tomahawk dunk off of two feet. The 23-year-old Seattle native still has his struggles as a scorer in the half court, mostly due to his shooting stroke. Payton missed a wide open pull up jumper from the elbow and turned down an open three from the wing a few possessions later. He's not quite a vocal floor general or big-time shot creator, but with Payton's defense, passing instincts, physical tools (6' 3” with a 6' 8” wingspan) and athleticism he was able to find some success playing off the ball next to Kay Felder, and remains an intriguing second-round prospect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Payton II was named the Pac-12's Defensive Player of the Year in each of his two seasons with the Beavers. His father is still a major influence on his game, but Payton II has also looked to contemporary players to model his play after.

"Tony Allen, Kawhi Leonard and a little splash of (Russell) Westbrook," Payton II told the Arizona Republic. "All defensive-minded, get the offense going and a one-man fast break."
    His shooting needs work the most but if spurs can trade for a 2nd rd pick I like him there... would really like to throw him on westbrook tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Talk Sports Philly: 2016 NBA Mock Draft
    May 30th, 2016 by Ryan Waterman

29.) San Antonio Spurs- Gary Payton II (PG/Oregon State)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've had a hard time finding full game footage from this season, only found some from last.

But I think he's my number one in-range player. So much to like about him, and weaknesses are either something that can be improved (shooting) or aren't a big deal in the context of being on the Spurs.

I might change my mind if I had 5 games to break down from the tourneys and late in the season, but I would be head over heels with a GPII pick.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    He's been my pick for awhile. The only guys making me think differently are Brogdon and Barber.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to buy a pick in the second round to get him. I'd like to get Dejounte Murray though with our first rounder. He is a difference maker at the PG. But Peyton would be great as a backup. Two young PG to develop would be nice.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I'd love the Spurs to get Murray but I'd be shocked if he falls to them. Most the guys I like are early second picks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cross-posting from a thread on the main board, Payton is my guy :

I'm ALL IN for Gary Payton II. Don't be too thrown off by mocks having him in the back half of the second round. Hill was a second round forecast on DX that wasn't in mocks until June of that year, never higher than 41. Larry Nance Jr was wasn't even in DX mocks until mid June and then as an end of second rounder, he went first round.

Payton will be perfect, and is more point guard ready than Hill was.

He's knocked for defensive consistency but despite that was still the 2 time PAC 12 defensive player of the year. A slashing, finishing guard with a better than 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio? A guy who averaged more steals than turnovers? An unselfish guard who is happy to move the ball early rather than pound and pound?

A tremendous rebounder, plays strong, plays tough, ruins teams in transition. I love him. Shot is weak but if he could just get to average with Chip's help, he's going to be damn effective. Not a pure passer, but he can pass from the pick and roll just fine.

Put him out there with Kawhi and Green and the defense will be punishing.

He's an older player, but I like that with him. The Spurs will get likely get his best years very cheaply. Who could be happy with another Joseph situation, where the Spurs pour years and money and effort into developing him only to not be able to afford him once the light comes on.

He is my number one target. He could make a similar impact to Hill's rookie year but I think even better, because Hill was even less prepared with regard to point duties and compe ion step up with his joke conference compared to the PAC 12

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been interested in him as a player for a while. Very rarely are the sons as good as their HOF parent, but he could be a regular off the bench for sure. If they were able to buy a pick in the 30-35 range and he's there I'd be all about that. I prefer him to Ulis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why trading that 2nd pick for McCallum was a bad idea. Nabbing guys that slip. But then I think this guy is gone really 2nd. May pop up in the late 1st. Wouldn't be surprised.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kevin Pelton was on a podcast with David Locke and has Payton as one of his best analytic prospects and has him as one of his favorite players.

In Pelton's projection database going back 10 years, Payton was defensively off the charts. Projected among points as the second highest steal % all time in database, 1st in rebounding for pgs all time, and 1st in block % all time.

He compared him to Eric Snow and Earl Watson. I think that's fair except that Payton is much more athletic and would make more of an impact I think. And Watson and Snow both had 12 year careers. Watson started 1/4 of his games and Snow started 2/3.

Payton has to be the guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why trading that 2nd pick for McCallum was a bad idea. Nabbing guys that slip. But then I think this guy is gone really 2nd. May pop up in the late 1st. Wouldn't be surprised.
    The picks at the end of the second round can be had for nothing. If the Spurs really want a guy in that range they can easily buy another pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The picks at the end of the second round can be had for nothing. If the Spurs really want a guy in that range they can easily buy another pick.
    Yeah, but now we have to spend money to get one. Wasted the one we had.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyway, I like Payton. Think he'll get into the first round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't think he was a 1st round pick, but undrafted is surprising.

Thread Information