Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Dude I think I've been telling you that there has been proof we've increased CO2 levels considerably. That right there, i guess is PROOF. Beyond this is correlation. Noone in the entire history of the world will ever truely 'prove' anything, thats why it doesn't make sense to keep ignoring alot of correlations. Because most of what we've ever 'proved' about anything is based on correlation.

Can you find percentages of where/what the greatest sources of CO2 in the atmosphere are? The answer might surprise you.

Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The real threat is not CO2 but DI-HYDROGEN MONOXIDE!

http://www.dhmo.org/

http://www.ogauge.co.uk/DHMO.html

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    For me, it would take a prominent politically-active singer/actress speaking out about global warming before I would take it seriously as an issue. It would help if this person was Jewish.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Air Force Falcons
    No doubt, and I can refrain from saying 'bull ' outright when i hear something like that. But if we're on this track of brainstorming, then it will undoubtedly make alot of areas of human civilization tier, like those near the ocean
    Why don't you just come out and start a "Global Warming Is Causing These Hurricanes" thread? Why beat around the Bush?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'll believe it as soon as President Bush says it's true.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Air Force Falcons
    For me, it would take a prominent politically-active singer/actress speaking out about global warming before I would take it seriously as an issue. It would help if this person was Jewish.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Your correlations don't proove that. There isn't even proof that CO2 is a major reason behind global warming, or that mankind is the sole reason for recent increases. You can take a look back at whole history of the earth's warming and cooling. Long before humans were here the earth cooled and warmed to and from both much colder and much hotter temperatures than what mankind has ever experienced. We may or may not be the sole cause for any recent changes, or we may be just riding changes that naturally occur and have no real say in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advicating pollution or burning down rainforests or anything. But I've not been convinced that we are going to all fry in the next 50 years.

There isnt proof that CO2 in itself is a major reason behind global warming?

Are you serious??? Show me a link to this one, i promise you i'll read it.

I never said mankind was the sole reason for the increases, that again would be silly. But to think we're not a big contributor to it is silly too.

Why do humans think we are so powerless to change things like this?!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Why don't you just come out and start a "Global Warming Is Causing These Hurricanes" thread? Why beat around the Bush?

when you assume you make an ass outta u and me

if i ever said global warming is causing these hurricanes, it was either outta anger cuz i was worried my hometown would be destroyed, or i was joking

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Can you find percentages of where/what the greatest sources of CO2 in the atmosphere are? The answer might surprise you.

So then the increase of CO2 since we've been recording it, has been due to these surprising sources? Gee, I guess taking this back a while we can assume CO2 started to exist like only about 500K years ago

It's like....are there more or less cars than 100 years ago?

How many pounds of carbon in the air from one car? 1 gallon gas = 22 pounds co2

Are there more or less rainforest than there was 100 years ago? (rainforest being the most efficient areas in the world for converting CO2 to O2, Oceans are the highest contributor due to sheer size)

Are the trends we witnessing going to be reversed any time soon? No, in fact they'll only keep going...

SW: Hot As Hell
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sorry this image is from a German website. I hope you can still get the gist of it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Damn...those Germans are some old mofo's.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    There isnt proof that CO2 in itself is a major reason behind global warming?

Are you serious??? Show me a link to this one, i promise you i'll read it.

I never said mankind was the sole reason for the increases, that again would be silly. But to think we're not a big contributor to it is silly too.

Why do humans think we are so powerless to change things like this?!

Yeah, but you need to see where the majority of CO2 comes from before you assume it's all the dirty, mean humans....instead of just making assumptions.

I'd never say that humans don't have any affect whatsoever...that just seems like common sense. But you keep talking about CO2 like it's 90% humans doing all of the dirty work.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Well, it is hot outside

Fair

102°F
    (39°C

ing A.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVF...ouse_data.html

Just how much of the "Greenhouse Effect" is caused by human activity?

It is about 0.28%, if water vapor is taken into account-- about 5.53%, if not.

This point is so crucial to the debate over global warming that how water vapor is or isn't factored into an analysis of Earth's greenhouse gases makes the difference between describing a significant human contribution to the greenhouse effect, or a negligible one.

Water vapor cons utes Earth's most significant greenhouse gas, accounting for about 95% of Earth's greenhouse effect (4). Interestingly, many "facts and figures' regarding global warming completely ignore the powerful effects of water vapor in the greenhouse system, carelessly (perhaps, deliberately) overstating human impacts as much as 20-fold.

Water vapor is 99.999% of natural origin. Other atmospheric greenhouse gases, carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O), and miscellaneous other gases (CFC's, etc.), are also mostly of natural origin (except for the latter, which is mostly anthropogenic).

Human activites contribute slightly to greenhouse gas concentrations through farming, manufacturing, power generation, and transportation. However, these emissions are so dwarfed in comparison to emissions from natural sources we can do nothing about, that even the most costly efforts to limit human emissions would have a very small-- perhaps undetectable-- effect on global climate.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Some resources:

1) Current Greenhouse Gas Concentrations (updated October, 2000)
    Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center
    (the primary global-change data and information analysis center of the U.S. Department of Energy)
    Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Greenhouse Gases and Climate Change
    IEA Greenhouse Gas R&D Programme,
    Stoke Orchard, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52 7RZ, United Kingdom.

2) Greenhouse Gases and Global Warming Potentials (updated April, 2002)
    U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

3) Warming Potentials of Halocarbons and Greenhouses Gases
    Chemical formulae and global warming potentials from Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Climate Change 1995: The Science of Climate Change (Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1996), pp. 119 and 121. Production and sales of CFC's and other chemicals from International Trade Commission, Synthetic Organic Chemicals: United States Production and Sales, 1994 (Washington, DC, 1995). TRI emissions from U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1994 Toxics Release Inventory: Public Data Release, EPA-745-R-94-001 (Washington, DC, June 1996), p. 73. Estimated 1994 U.S. emissions from U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Inventory of U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Sinks, 1990-1994, EPA-230-R-96-006 (Washington, DC, November 1995), pp. 37-40.

4) a. Global Warming Information Page
    by Norman J. Macdonald, M.S. and Joseph p. Sobel, Ph.D.

b. Weather Matters- Global Warming Theories Questionable
    by G. H. Taylor, Oregon Climate Service, Oregon State University,
    College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences, August 20, 2000.

c. Personal communication with Dr. Patrick J. Michaels,
    Professor of Environmental Sciences, University of Virginia

d. Article by EarthTrack Focus/ World Climate Report

e. Why We Are Skeptics On The Global Warming Issue
    Michael T. Halbouty, CPG-00010 and Gerald T. Westbrook

5) Global Climate Change Student Guide
    Department of Environmental and Geographical Sciences
    Manchester Metropolitan University
    Chester Street
    Manchester
    M1 5GD
    United Kingdom

6) Global Budgets for Atmospheric Nitrous Oxide - Anthropogenic Contributions
    William C. Trogler, Eric Bruner, Glenn Westwood, Barbara Sawrey, and Patrick Neill
    Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
    University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, California

7) Methan record and budget
    Robert Grumbine

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

What are the sources of carbon dioxide?

Carbon Dioxide (or CO2) is created naturally by animals' breathing (respiration) and by the decay of plant and animal matter. These processes are natural sources of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and account for about 38% of all CO2 emissions (Figure 1). Another large natural source of CO2 includes the oceans.

Carbon dioxide is also released by the burning of fossil fuels (coal, oil and gas) for power and electricity, and the production of cement. These are anthropogenic or man-made sources of carbon dioxide. Although man-made emissions of CO2 are significant, they are much smaller than natural emissions.

Another important man-made source of carbon dioxide is deforestation. Trees and plants take in carbon dioxide through the process of photosynthesis, and store it as carbon in their tissues and wood fibre. In many regions of the world, forests are being destroyed to clear land for development. This allows the large amount of carbon in the wood to be released into the atmosphere as carbon dioxide.
    Figure 1: Sources of carbon dioxide

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm guilty of contributing to man-made gasses.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well, it is hot outside

Fair

102°F
    (39°C

ing A.
    yep, it sure is. I can remember running around barefooted and without a shirt on Christmas day when I was a kid. Just Texas I guess. It is hot here, one of the reason's I like it....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The planet has always gone thru cycles.. multiple ice ages...

multiple ice meltings.. multiple quakes.. storms .. waves.. asteroids.. etc..

Do we need to keep a focus on pollution and energy yes..

But the constant political harping.. one second it's the economy stupid the next it's pollution..

make up your liberal wiener mines you can't have a good economy without 18 wheelers ships trains and autos .. at least not quite yet without new power...

You see.. damned if you do. .damned if you don't..

What if we could say snap our fingers and transform every family on earth to middle class with 2 cars and a 3 bedroom house loaded with ..

We would like run out of gas in a day.. there are 2 billion people without power .. and billions more without cars..

There are happy people in the jungle that don't want Kerry's SUV.. they want people to off and leave them alone...

A hot plate of fried monkey brains on a rainy day in the rain forest may be richer than a day with kerry and his wife on there yacht.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I would like to be the first to call for the pull out of heat from San Antonio.
    Me too. I want to wear my cute jacket I just bought!

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I would just like to walk outside and NOT have my mascara melt on my eyelashes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Stars burn elements for fusion fuel.. they start with simple elements .. as the sun starts to eat and produce more advanced elements it can grow in size and do all kinds of wierd things. This may of been what really killed the dino's. The sun has a "fusion" shift that produces a burst of radiation off the charts.. cooking almost everything on earth...

Not saying it could happen again.. uh.. maybe.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Stars burn elements for fusion fuel.. they start with simple elements .. as the sun starts to eat and produce more advanced elements it can grow in size and do all kinds of wierd things. This may of been what really killed the dino's. The sun has a "fusion" shift that produces a burst of radiation off the charts.. cooking almost everything on earth...

Not saying it could happen again.. uh.. maybe.
    And you have to go and ruin everyting, don't you. Dammit, you know WE made it happen. Now shut-up and go to your room.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This damn heat makes me break out.....then again so does breathing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

S y, you are one of the reasons I like ladies. Because you are ladies. Men are so boring. I think by the end of the week you will get your wish, well at least late in the evening......

Thread Information