Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at this Express-News article from 2 weeks ago

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The Spurs were in Los Angeles earlier on this road trip when the NBA trade deadline came and went.

At the moment the proverbial clock struck midnight — or noon, rather — the Spurs were finishing shootaround at the Staples Center in preparation for a game against the Clippers that night.

When it became clear that no moves would be made, Rasual Butler looked at teammate Ray McCallum and smiled.

“We made it,” Butler said, grasping McCallum in a brief bro hug.

Truth be told, Butler hadn’t been sweating the deadline that much. Not really.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/sp...ng-6847275.php

neither on the team right now
    that's ed up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, Bonner.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I can't believe they did Butler like that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hasn't stopped being better than Martin though.
    Riiiight. Since you even just said it didn't really matter when they cut him because playoff teams weren't going to add him.

Yet Mavs, Rockets, Hawks, Spurs picked up the phone immediately for Martin.

Makes sense

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that ginger piece of . He said he wanted to play more years, his yes men will let him play more years. RC and Pop are cucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Riiiight. Since you even just said it didn't really matter when they cut him because playoff teams weren't going to add him.

Yet Mavs, Rockets, Hawks, Spurs picked up the phone immediately for Martin.

Makes sense
    Yep. Still appealing to authority, I see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Martin isn't even that much of an upgrade over Butler, doesn't make sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner might be getting waived soon too tbh

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I told you... telegraphed my Messina.

Never doubt me again.
    Oh look...the blind ass beaner squirrel located a nut. Congrats. Here you go breh:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feels in' dirty tbh. Butler came in, did everything that was asked of him, and produced...and he gets kicked to the curb.

Meanwhile, Bonner hasn't done save for hit a few threes in the past few games, and has a clear-cut role carved out for him in the FO...and somehow avoids the axe.

Martin is obviously an upgrade over Butler at this point but still....pretty classless move if you ask me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner's been with the Spurs for 10 years.

He's still a better 3PT shooter than Butler and you know how he can help you against OKC.

I'm sure Butler's a nice guy. Tough luck.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's be honest, despite Bonner not playing a lot of minutes, we really don't know how well he was doing in practice..

Too bad, Spurs lose a guy who may have been able to cover D.Green, Barnes or Igoudola. I gather Spurs had their reasons to keep Bonner.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PlayBonner

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner might be getting waived soon too tbh

Would have been interested in Neal back as a buyout guy, honestly. Like him more than Martin as a spot-up guy, and he knows most of the guys already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's be honest, despite Bonner not playing a lot of minutes, we really don't know how well he was doing in practice..

Too bad, Spurs lose a guy who may have been able to cover D.Green, Barnes or Igoudola. I gather Spurs had their reasons to keep Bonner.
    He's the secret weapon vs GSW.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Martin isn't even that much of an upgrade over Butler, doesn't make sense.
    They don't even play the same position. Martin is here for the times the Spurs get more icy than hot Green.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean I agree it's ty that they did that to Butler, but would it have been any less ty if they did it to Bonner (a guy who has actually been a part of the Spurs' family for nearly a decade)? People always bring up how the Spurs should just offer Bonner a FO position and act like that would make cutting him perfectly okay...but what if that's not what he wants? What if he's still determined to play and get one more chance at winning a le? Is cutting him and robbing him of his potential last chance at a ring really any less ed up than doing the same to Butler?

Seems to me like it was a lose-lose situation. Either way they were going to have do someone dirty.

edit: don't get me wrong, I still think I'd rather have Butler than Bonner. Just find it weird that some people are acting like it's such a horrible thing for Butler, and then turning around and saying "god dammit we should've gotten rid of that ginger !"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feels in' dirty tbh. Butler came in, did everything that was asked of him, and produced...and he gets kicked to the curb.

Meanwhile, Bonner hasn't done save for hit a few threes in the past few games, and has a clear-cut role carved out for him in the FO...and somehow avoids the axe.

Martin is obviously an upgrade over Butler at this point but still....pretty classless move if you ask me.
    Decisions are made on what happens on the court and also in practice. We don't know the reasoning, but clearly something about Bonner's game tipped them from waiving him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not surprised. I honestly think Butler fits more of a need this season than Bonner does. Bonner has looked good lately though. Oh well. Butler was a nice pickup for the time he was here. Him being waived will not improve or hurt our championship chances.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would have been interested in Neal back as a buyout guy, honestly. Like him more than Martin as a spot-up guy, and he knows most of the guys already.
    He wasn't waived before the deadline. He can't play in the playoffs. Too late, maybe next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    classless talk about a league where trades and waivers are the standard operating procedure is pretty presumptive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks because I really liked Butler's at ude and shooting, but in the end he wasn't going to play big minutes in the playoffs. I trust Pop and RC.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People thinking Bonner "spaced the floor" and was "useful" against OKC

^ the guy who was actually useful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't even play the same position. Martin is here for the times the Spurs get more icy than hot Green.
    Yeah because defense doesn't matter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean I agree it's ty that they did that to Butler, but would it have been any less ty if they did it to Bonner (a guy who has actually been a part of the Spurs' family for nearly a decade)? People always bring up how the Spurs should just offer Bonner a FO position and act like that would make cutting him perfectly okay...but what if that's not what he wants? What if he's still determined to play and get one more chance at winning a le? Is cutting him and robbing him of his potential last chance at a ring really any less ed up than doing the same to Butler?

Seems to me like it was a lose-lose situation. Either way they were going to have do someone dirty.

edit: don't get me wrong, I still think I'd rather have Butler than Bonner. Just find it weird that some people are acting like it's such a horrible thing for Butler, and then turning around and saying "god dammit we should've gotten rid of that ginger !"

This.

Thread Information