Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah because defense doesn't matter.
    He's filling the Belinelli hole, and PATFO jumped on him immediately after being waived for that reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner will never be off our roster, how can we already waive Butler????

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. Still appealing to authority, I see.
    I'm sorry you hate Kevin Martin man..but your Butler > Martin argument doesn't hold water man. Just let it go.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    We'll see if it works out. I have no doubt they'll at least offer him a ring if they can win it all. But yeah, they could have totally released him earlier. In fact, they totally should have done so and asked him to hang around until they knew about Martin. Would have kept everyone's options open that way. Definitely classless, the way it went down, but it's also likely Butler wouldn't have been that sought after anyway.
    Again, nobody wanted to sign him after he had a solid season in Washington so chances are he would have been nothing more than a 10-day contract guy if he was released.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a fan of cutting Butler, but oh well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean I agree it's ty that they did that to Butler, but would it have been any less ty if they did it to Bonner (a guy who has actually been a part of the Spurs' family for nearly a decade)? People always bring up how the Spurs should just offer Bonner a FO position and act like that would make cutting him perfectly okay...but what if that's not what he wants? What if he's still determined to play and get one more chance at winning a le? Is cutting him and robbing him of his potential last chance at a ring really any less ed up than doing the same to Butler?

Seems to me like it was a lose-lose situation. Either way they were going to have do someone dirty.

edit: don't get me wrong, I still think I'd rather have Butler than Bonner. Just find it weird that some people are acting like it's such a horrible thing for Butler, and then turning around and saying "god dammit we should've gotten rid of that ginger !"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe Bonner draining those 3's last night saved him tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean I agree it's ty that they did that to Butler, but would it have been any less ty if they did it to Bonner (a guy who has actually been a part of the Spurs' family for nearly a decade)? People always bring up how the Spurs should just offer Bonner a FO position and act like that would make cutting him perfectly okay...but what if that's not what he wants? What if he's still determined to play and get one more chance at winning a le? Is cutting him and robbing him of his potential last chance at a ring really any less ed up than doing the same to Butler?

Seems to me like it was a lose-lose situation. Either way they were going to have do someone dirty.

edit: don't get me wrong, I still think I'd rather have Butler than Bonner. Just find it weird that some people are acting like it's such a horrible thing for Butler, and then turning around and saying "god dammit we should've gotten rid of that ginger !"
    He'd get a ring regardless if he were cut or not. If he wanted another ring getting playing time, he isn't going to get it here unless someone gets hurt and should that happen the Spurs are sunk anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dog move. Bonner should have been cut. He was spared for sentimental reasons. Soft ass PATFO.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. None of the three that were on the chopping block are going to matter in the playoffs or long term, but it's kinda ty to bring a guy in that doesn't complain, plays decent when he's in there and mentors your young guys then kick him to the curb without even a chance to get a spot on a post season roster.
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sorry you hate Kevin Martin man..but your Butler > Martin argument doesn't hold water man. Just let it go.
    You've yet to make an argument that passes any informal logic test.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good move imo
    Spurs fam sticking together

Hook 'em
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not like Butler was seeing any minutes in the playoffs. Why waive a tenured guy like Bonner over Rasul? This is an irrelevant move...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'd get a ring regardless if he were cut or not. If he wanted another ring getting playing time, he isn't going to get it here unless someone gets hurt and should that happen the Spurs are sunk anyway.
    Come on, you know what I mean. By that argument Butler will get a ring regardless if he's cut or not too. Winning a ring while being there for the whole ride is much different (from a personal satisfaction standpoint) than winning a ring after you were cut in March. You and I both know that.

Neither one of these guys were going to get much playing time in the playoffs. They both just wanted to be on the team and at least have the chance to contribute should the opportunity come up. Both of them are in what could very well be their last NBA season, so this would be their last chance at a playoff run. No matter who got cut, someone was going to get ed over and potentially robbed of one final opportunity. It's ty for Butler, but it would've been just as ty if it happened to Bonner instead. That's all I'm saying.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ridiculous. Cut Bonner and put him in the front office or end of the bench as a coach.

When you are going to have to go through LAC and GSW, giving up a solid wing who has shown he can play some D to keep around the greatest playoff choker of a big man we've ever had is just stupid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

besides, Butler has been thrown to the curb plenty of times in his career. He'll survive.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where do I even begin? First off, if Bonner was still determined to play, he can't. The scrub got hurt in 3 minutes of playing time after being DNP and he's absolutely useless when it's not garbage time. Second, he has 2 les compared to Butler who is ringless. Third, a decade, 10 years, that's how much the Spurs have given him worth of contracts just to be a pile of . He owes the Spurs, not the other way around. The front office suggestion is even going too far, like I said, Spurs don't owe him a thing.

No. Butler was actually useful and was a decent defender, probably our third best wing defender behind Wingstop. He was also athletic. Bonner? He just runs around like a hunchback and that's about all he does.

I mean, it is terrible what we did to Butler. He played great when called upon and then cut him after the playoff eligible deadline. While Bonner just collected DNP- sore vagina all year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously the move was for specific reasons that none of us will know right now. It comes down to who they think will be most effective in a playoff run, for a specific matchup. Despite if you like Bonner or not he has the experience deep in the playoffs over the last 10 years. The move was surprising to me, but then again we have been able to score Andre Miller and Kevin Martin in this last week I don't think many would have expected. At the end of the day the roster has been upgraded, and the Spurs are all in to win it this year. I trust the decisions and thoughts they make tbh

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What an absolute bag move.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously the move was for specific reasons that none of us will know right now. It comes down to who they think will be most effective in a playoff run, for a specific matchup. Despite if you like Bonner or not he has the experience deep in the playoffs over the last 10 years. The move was surprising to me, but then again we have been able to score Andre Miller and Kevin Martin in this last week I don't think many would have expected. At the end of the day the roster has been upgraded, and the Spurs are all in to win it this year. I trust the decisions and thoughts they make tbh
    They see the two in practice for months. They've seen them off the court. They've got all sorts of advanced stats. They scout the opponents. They strategize. , they know a lot more than us outsiders.. If Bonner sticks, then it was meant to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rofl looks like I was wrong. Tbh, Rasual Butler isn't the difference for winning a le, but I agree this is a move. He has the right to take it personal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at this Express-News article from 2 weeks ago

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The Spurs were in Los Angeles earlier on this road trip when the NBA trade deadline came and went.

At the moment the proverbial clock struck midnight — or noon, rather — the Spurs were finishing shootaround at the Staples Center in preparation for a game against the Clippers that night.

When it became clear that no moves would be made, Rasual Butler looked at teammate Ray McCallum and smiled.

“We made it,” Butler said, grasping McCallum in a brief bro hug.

Truth be told, Butler hadn’t been sweating the deadline that much. Not really.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/sp...ng-6847275.php

neither on the team right now
    Damn, thats brutal. At least they both new when the deadline was unlike Swaggy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's probably unreasonable, but somehow, this feels wrong - definitely more wrong than cutting Bonner would have, for me, at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs kept this guy:

http://www.cultofmac.com/328302/ipho...r-matt-bonner/

In a recent interview the basketball player revealed that he believes the iPhone 6’s larger screen contributed to his poor shooting performance, and gave him a season-ending injury in the form of a serious case of tennis elbow.

“Everybody is going to find this hilarious, but here’s my theory on how I got it,” Bonner told the Concord Monitor. “When the new iPhone came out it was way bigger than the last one, and I think because I got that new phone it was a strain to use it, you have to stretch further to hit the buttons, and I honestly think that’s how I ended up developing it.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who is he ?

Thread Information