Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope they DON'T draft this guy. The team needs an immediate contributor, not someone who will take years just to put on a few more pounds. If they're looking for a center in the draft, perhaps trading for an early second round pick can land someone like AJ Hammons who can contribute straight away.
    The Spurs need to swing for the fences.
    The # of immediate contributors in any draft is low, especially at 29 and beyond.
    Last year only 18 players logged more than 800 minutes. (10 minutes a game for 80 games- pretty low bar)
    The year before after two seasons only 28 have played more than 1,000 minutes.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basketball Insiders: 2016 NBA Mock Draft: Consensus Ver 5.0
    By Basketball Insiders on June 8, 2016

1 of 4 Alex Kennedy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chad Ford Verified account ‏@chadfordinsider

Zhou Qi is listed as a 20 year old born in 1996. But a number of NBA scouts believe he was born in 1992 or 1993. Big difference to teams.

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chad Ford Verified account ‏@chadfordinsider

Zhou Qi is listed as a 20 year old born in 1996. But a number of NBA scouts believe he was born in 1992 or 1993. Big difference to teams.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No issues with drafting him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't get the hype with him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow the rumors about his age not being accurate are a huge red flag. It means there is no further development to his body if he's older than advertised. Hmmm even at 29, that's too risky. I doubt they go for this guy. I wouldn't go after him either.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FanSided: Air Alamo: FanSided NBA Mock Draft First Round 2016
    by Ian Smith 20 hours ago [aka 20 June 2016]

A mock draft among the FanSided site, Smith picked for the Spurs.

Wanting Thon Maker who left the board at #26,

We were sad, but not totally defeated, because there were other intriguing alternatives. The Spurs have the luxury of being one of the elite teams in the NBA already, and able to draft for the long-term instead of feeling pressured to pick a player who can instantly contribute.

After some deliberation, we decided to go with Chinese center Zhou Qi with the 29th overall pick in the 2016 NBA mock draft.

Our rationale is included in the link to the mock draft above [see below]. He has captivating skills, and although he’s a bit of a project at this point, the Spurs have had a lot of success with draft-and-stash prospects.
    29. San Antonio Spurs
    Zhou Qi

C, China

Pick made by Ian Smith (@IanMalcolmSmith), representing Air Alamo (@AirAlamo).

Zhou Qi has “San Antonio Spurs draft pick” written all over him. This is the team that made it fashionable to invest in international prospects. While the players polish their games in foreign leagues before making the leap to the NBA, the Spurs look like geniuses for not having to devote a roster spot or cap space in the short term while benefitting in the long term. Let’s start with what’s really at the core of his intrigue: his size and length. He stands at over 7’2’’ in shoes and has a wingspan of an astounding 7’7.75’’. He’s more of a finesse guy who relies on his outside shooting touch to score points. An obvious concern is his lack of strength inside, as the weighs only 218 pounds. He can operate as a rim protector on defense and stretch opposing big men out to the 3-point line to open up space for teammates, and is surprisingly mobile for a guy his height.

He has negotiated a buyout with his Chinese team but won’t be able to play in the NBA until 2017. He can use that time to not only enhance his skills in the compe ive Chinese Basketball Association, but also bulk up to be able to withstand the rigors of playing in the NBA against some of the strongest athletes in the world. With Tim Duncan nearing retirement, center is an area of concern for the Spurs, and while Zhou won’t provide instant gratification for a team that’s coming off a premature playoff exit, this is a popular draft formula they’ve used. As a 67-win team, they have the luxury of not feeling the pressure to try to use this pick to improve in the short term. Zhou is a fascinating player, and the Spurs are in a position to take a chance on him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ranked #1 in Pelton's prospect WARP projections for this draft. I say he's worth the risk if he slips to us. Also wouldn't mind taking Diamond Stone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt the next Porzingas. If only.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Serious question, is the name pronounced zoo-key, like Godzooky from the 1970s cartoon?

Thread Information