Post Count
    Gay Republican?

I always thought that was an oxymoron.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Gay Republican?

I always thought that was an oxymoron.
    Nah, the Log Cabin Republicans, an organization for gay and lesbian republicans have 50 chapters in 35 states and claim over 15,000 members.

http://online.logcabin.org/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why would he keep it a secret then?
    you figure he'd want to rally the gay vote.

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the Log Cabin Republicans called that because Repug Abe Lincoln, famous for his candle-lit log cabin, was gay?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Are the Log Cabin Republicans called that because Repug Abe Lincoln, famous for his candle-lit log cabin, was gay?
    I doubt it.
    While looking it up I found the man the Log Cabiners have designated "the sexiest man alive". None other than the govenor from my home state of Ohio, Bob Taft.

http://www.brokennewz.com/displaysto...321taftsexyman

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Did they even have electricity then? I'd imagine if you wanted to see anything after the sun went down, candles were a pretty good option.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Did they even have electricity then? I'd imagine if you wanted to see anything after the sun went down, candles were a pretty good option.

The light bulb was invented in 1879, however, Glow Sticks were invented in the early 1800's though, so maybe he used them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before they made this announcement, there was talk of putting in someone who wouldn't be too hard to remove if DeLay were acquitted. Who better than a deeply closeted ?

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count

They named themselves that because they claim Abe was gay.
    Doesn't look that way, read for yourself

Was Abraham Lincoln gay?
    02-Apr-2004

In the recent debate around gay marriage, the Log Cabin Republicans have come up. I understand their deal is that Abraham Lincoln was gay and grew up in a log cabin, so they align themselves with his sexuality through endorsing his upbringing. Whatever. My question is, how valid is the allegation of Honest Abe being gay? I realize that "we may never really know," but my impression is that he was a rowdy skirt chaser in his youth. What evidence do we have that he chased pants as well? Surely having a harridan for a wife isn't evidence enough?

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/040402.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Log Cabin Republicans make as much sense as Jews for Hitler.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it just proves that Republicans are, indeed, the big tent party. You go gir...uh...guy.

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    April 18, 2005

Historians Defend Book About Abraham Lincoln

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 4:00 a.m. ET

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) -- It must have been the first conference in the history of Abraham Lincoln scholarship to call the Great Emancipator ''a terrifically sexual guy.''

Addressing the nation's top Lincoln scholars on Sunday, two historians defended a new book that claims Lincoln was gay and called for more research into his sexuality.

''I could build a Lincoln Log cabin of phobic denial,'' said Civil War historian Michael Chesson. ''There's been a cover-up, a conspiracy of silence for experts to hide what they regard as dirty linen in Abe's faded carpetbag.''

The reason for the discussion -- part of a conference held in conjunction with the opening of the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum -- is a new book called ''The Intimate World of Abraham Lincoln.''

Author and sociologist C.A. Tripp, who died before the book was published, examined Lincoln's poetry, the recollections of those who knew him and his relationships with other men and concluded Lincoln was ''predominantly sexual.''

Tripp goes into more detail, but he was not the first person to speculate on the subject.

Scholars have long wondered about the relationship between Lincoln and Joshua Speed. The two men slept in the same bed for four years in Springfield and developed a deep friendship.

Seeking to save money and stay warm in crude buildings, men of the day often shared beds. But Lincoln and Speed lived together long after they could afford separate quarters. Though both men married and Lincoln had four children, Tripp concluded they were lovers.

He reached the same conclusion about Lincoln and David Derickson, a soldier assigned to guard the president during the Civil War. Lincoln and Derickson sometimes shared a bed when Mary Todd Lincoln was out of town.

Jean Baker, author of a major biography of Mrs. Lincoln, has concluded that Lincoln was bisexual.

''(Lincoln) loved men, and they loved him, at whatever level,'' Baker said.

She also rejected the contention that Lincoln married only to further his political career, saying Abraham and Mary ''loved each other and could not be happy apart.''

''It does seem to me that Lincoln is a terrifically sexual guy. He seems to exude testosterone from every pore,'' she added.

Many historians have questioned the theory that Lincoln was gay, arguing that if there were anything su ious about the president's relationships with Speed and Derickson, his enemies would have used it against him. They say Tripp relied on discredited sources and read too much into conversations that were recalled decades later.

Douglas Wilson, co-director of the Lincoln Studies Center at Knox College, called the book's evidence ''very, very shabby.''

But Illinois state historian Thomas Schwartz suggested skeptics should keep an open mind. ''I have found that the traditional assumptions about Lincoln, when carefully tested, fall apart,'' he said.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I think it just proves that Republicans are, indeed, the big tent party. You go gir...uh...guy.

That's right, we welcome all with open arms...well...some may just get a firm handshake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it just proves that Republicans are, indeed, the big tent party.
    LOL
    then why didnt he open up and try to get the gay vote yoni?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it just proves that Republicans are, indeed, the big tent party.

Oh, man....at first I read "pitch a tent party".

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, man....at first I read "pitch a tent party".
    Oh, not that's just wrong!

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Addressing the nation's top Lincoln scholars on Sunday, two historians defended a new book that claims Lincoln was gay and called for more
    Author and sociologist C.A. Tripp, who died before the book was published, examined Lincoln's poetry, the recollections of those who knew him and his relationships with other men and concluded Lincoln was ''predominantly sexual.''
    Tripp goes into more detail, but he was not the first person to speculate on the subject.

It's probably notable that C.A. Tripp was a gay activist. This being the case Tripp had an agenda he was trying to promote and based on that I personally would have to question the objectivity of his writings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's probably notable that C.A. Tripp was a gay activist. This being the case Tripp had an agenda he was trying to promote and based on that I personally would have to question the objectivity of his writings.
    Shocking.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Tripp's findings or my skepticism?

As it turns out Roy Blunt Rep/Mo takes over as Majority Leader

WASHINGTON — Shadowed by scandal, House Republicans face an uncertain new era after a day of upheaval that left Majority Leader Tom DeLay (search) under indictment and forced to surrender his powerful post.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,170748,00.html

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So why was this thread started again?

Thread Information