Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bolded leapt out at me.

First, there’s a domestic dimension: you won’t be surprised to hear that at least some, and possibly rather a lot, of the Russian/Ukrainian online fraud about which the City of London Police commissioner was moaning last week, is facilitated by opaque UK companies, including LPs and LLPs.

Second, there’s an international dimension. Eastern Europe and Eurasia states are being bled white by fraud and corruption; plenty of it, as we see, is facilitated by UK-registered companies. Those Eastern European and Eurasian citizens have smelt a rat; here’s Ben Judah in American Prospect :

The conventional wisdom is that ordinary citizens of these states—feudally ruled, politically pillaged—will become obsessed about corruption. So far, so good: You cannot talk about politics in Russia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, and the rest without talking about corruption. But beyond this, the conventional wisdom—that the middle classes, the young, or the globally connected will then demand a new, Western-style government—breaks down.

The reason this logic doesn’t hold is that East European corruption fighters are discovering that Western countries and their systems of offshore economies have enabled the colossal theft of their countries’ resources. Bubbling up from beneath the surface of both the Russian opposition and the Ukrainian Maidan is a new sense of disdain for the West.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HSBC, for instance, continued to take in questionable money through 2012 and beyond, including $30 million from Hong Kong accounts related to a Ponzi scheme called World Capital Market. WCM was suspected of bilking “investors” — most of them ordinary people scraping together five or ten thousand dollars and throwing them at false promises of guaranteed returns — of nearly $80 million.

The leaked records show HSBC flagged the account as su ious as early as 2013, but continued to take the money from this and a wide variety of other dicey accounts. Although regulators saw all of this information, the Department of Justice not only didn’t take action, it announced in 2017 that HSBC had “lived up to all of its commitments” and agreed to file a motion to lift the deferred prosecution deal.

A similar pattern held with JP Morgan Chase, which in 2013 was hit with a cease and desist order over “systemic deficiencies” in its money-laundering controls, yet continued to do business with rogue accounts, including some infamous and obvious ones. To give some sense of the sums involved, JPM made roughly a half-billion dollars just servicing the accounts for con artist Bernie Madoff.

As far back as 2006, JP Morgan Chase knew enough to pull its own money out of investments in hedge funds tied to Madoff, but never told investors, and continued to manage his accounts for years. The bank ultimately settled with the government over the Madoff episode in 2014, after the 2013 “cease and desist” order, while continuing to manage money for other malodorous accounts — including, according to the ICIJ, more than $1 billion for Jho Low, the fugitive financier behind Malaysia’s infamous 1MDB fund.
    https://taibbi.substack.com/p/reveng...launderers-b84

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a detail that should infuriate the #Resistance crowd, Jamie Dimon’s bank also continued to do business in huge sums for former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort even after Manafort stepped down in scandal, and even after the bank flagged Manafort’s accounts. From the ICIJ report:

JPMorgan also processed more than $50 million in payments over a decade, the records show, for Paul Manafort, the former campaign manager for President Donald Trump. The bank shuttled at least $6.9 million in Manafort transactions in the 14 months after he resigned from the campaign amid a swirl of money laundering and corruption allegations spawning from his work with a pro-Russian political party in Ukraine.
    https://taibbi.substack.com/p/reveng...launderers-b84

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HSBC got caught some years ago laundering $100Ms of cartel cash.

Paid a fine, nobody in jail, nobody lost job, HSBC kept their American banking license.

Crime pays, financial crime pays extremely well.

BigFinance is corrupt top to bottom.

Deutsche Bank caught criming again in the FinCen data

===================

FinCen Files Shine Spotlight on Su ious Bank Transfers

Over the 18 years between 1999 and 2017,

banks moved $2 trillion in funds that they considered su ious, generating substantial fees in the process.

Some of the biggest global banks involved included

Deutsche Bank,
    JP Morgan Chase,
    HSBC,
    Barclays Bank, and
    Bank of New York Mellon.

Almost half the $2 trillion in su ious loans were made by Deutsche Bank, Trash's Russian-money bank

a bank that has paid substantial fines for past money laundering activities.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/09...ank-transfers/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    classic sloppy seconds, check the previous page, boutons.

this thread isn't that long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a ver

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did not see that coming. Devil is in the the details, but this is encouraging.

The most sweeping overhaul of financial crime safeguards in decades is poised to be attached to must-pass defense legislation in the coming weeks — a product of behind-the-scenes negotiations between lawmakers and Trump administration officials who are usually at odds.
    The legislation, hammered out by progressive Democrats, conservative Republicans and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, would require millions of business en ies to reveal their owners to the federal government in an attempt to deter the use of anonymous s companies by criminals evading anti-money laundering rules.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...mpanies-440618

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did not see that coming. Devil is in the the details, but this is encouraging.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...mpanies-440618
    If it's too good to be true, ...

The Capitalist oligarchy will have final say through their bribed mouthpieces/ s in the Senate.

And often the "final say" is not in the law, but in non-public "details" of the rule-making phase (outside of Congress) where oligarchy's lawyers/lobbyists have "influential ($$$)" input to rule-making.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 11-28-2020 at 06:24 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like it'll pass!

Landmark laws to thwart the use of U.S. s companies by terrorists, human traffickers, arms dealers and kleptocrats are set to be enacted after more than a decade of lobbying and politicking with rare bipartisan support.

The sweeping anti-money laundering reforms hitched a lift in the annual defense spending bill that passed the Senate 84-13 today, and was approved by the House 355-78 earlier this week.

The Corporate Transparency Act requires U.S. companies to report their true owners to the Treasury Department’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, known as FinCEN — largely ending anonymous s companies in the country.

The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists has repeatedly do ented how the rich, the powerful and the criminal have used anonymous en ies to hide their wealth, including in the 2016 Panama Papers and the 2020 FinCEN Files investigations.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 12-16-2020 at 10:34 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It passed!

Potential game changer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If it's too good to be true, ...

The Capitalist oligarchy will have final say through their bribed mouthpieces/ s in the Senate.

And often the "final say" is not in the law, but in non-public "details" of the rule-making phase (outside of Congress) where oligarchy's lawyers/lobbyists have "influential ($$$)" input to rule-making.

Of all the things to pull out of your ass. . .

You certainly are invested in everything being ty and always being ty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of all the things to pull out of your ass. . .

You certainly are invested in everything being ty and always being ty.
    Cheap cynicism is like the monism of Parmenides. Motion and change are impossible by definition. Illusory.

It turned boutons into Johnny One Note a long time ago.

It's boring af.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cheap cynicism is like the monism of Parmenides. Motion and change are impossible by definition. Illusory.

It turned boutons into Johnny One Note a long time ago.

It's boring af.
    It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't just straight ignorant. I can go with the idea that corporate interests do have a ton of access and influence in lawmaking and in its enforcement.

On the other hand the establishment has no interest in crime taking capital out of the country or out of the economy at large.

I understand not liking something but what I don't understand is this idea that what you don't like never does anything good and is always bad. Ideologies often the same as stupidity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't just straight ignorant. I can go with the idea that corporate interests do have a ton of access and influence in lawmaking and in its enforcement.

On the other hand the establishment has no interest in crime taking capital out of the country or out of the economy at large.

I understand not liking something but what I don't understand is this idea that what you don't like never does anything good and is always bad. Ideologies often the same as stupidity.
    My big problem with the " ed/un able" bunch is that they miss emergent phenomema and changing conditions that could and do sometimes lead to improvements in people's lives and added difficulty for mfers.

Making it harder for rich folks to hide money has tangible implications for social inequality and mitigating climate change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My big problem with the " ed/un able" bunch is that they miss emergent phenomema and changing conditions that could and do sometimes lead to improvements in people's lives and added difficulty for mfers.

Making it harder for rich folks to hide money has tangible implications for social inequality and mitigating climate change.
    I hear you. I also think that if you're ed and un able then you need to find a way to un yourself and become able not just give up and assume everything is going to fail.

There are a lot of people dissatisfied. Something will give eventually thank God we live in a cons utional democracy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New follow up in the WaPo

The Pandora Papers is an investigation based on more than 11.9 million do ents revealing the flows of money, property and other assets concealed in the offshore financial system. The Washington Post and other news organizations exposed the involvement of political leaders, examined the growth of the industry within the United States and demonstrated how secrecy shields assets from governments, creditors and those abused or exploited by the wealthy and powerful. The trove of confidential information, the largest of its kind, was obtained by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, which organized the investigation.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...andora-papers/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The trove of more than 11.9 million confidential files shows how presidents, prime ministers, royals, elected officials — and some of their family members and closest associates — stash assets in a covert financial system with the help of firms who establish companies in secrecy jurisdictions. Explore the biggest political names uncovered in the data.
    https://www.icij.org/investigations/...power-players/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How 'insanely corrupt' South Dakota became a magnet for the wealth-hoarding megarich

"South Dakota has sheltered billions in wealth linked to wealthy individuals previously accused of serious financial crimes and labor violations."

Drawn by low taxes and some of the nation's most generous trust laws, "shady billionaires from around the world are going to South Dakota,"

the Mount Rushmore State "now rivals Switzerland, Panama, the Cayman Islands, and other famous tax havens as a premier venue for the international rich seeking to protect their assets from local taxes or the authorities,"

Findings suggest that South Dakota has sheltered billions in wealth linked to wealthy individuals previously accused of serious financial crimes and labor violations.

Two examples:

Brazilian orange juice baron Horst Happel was fined $88 million in 2016 for underpaying his workers. In 2017, he moved substantial wealth to a trust in South Dakota.

Carlos Morales Troncoso was the former vice president of the Dominican Republic. He ran a sugar company called Central Romana... that was accused of human rights violations. He set up trusts for his daughters in the Bahamas that were moved, after his death, to South Dakot

Vehicles including

granter-attained annuity trusts (GRATs) and so-called
    "dynasty trusts"—through which wealth can be sequestered for generations, even centuries

attract the über-rich to South Dakota by design.

https://www.rawstory.com/how-insanely-corrupt-south-dakota-became-a-magnet-for-the-wealth-hoarding-megarich

A beautiful context for Noem firing the head of the SD realty board for not granting license Noem's unqualified daughter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "I hid my taxable earnings at the request of my client. Fiduciary responsibility ftw!"

French financial authorities are investigating former International Monetary Fund chief and politician Dominique Strauss-Kahn over revelations in the Pandora Papers investigation about his Moroccan tax residency and business dealings.

Officials at the National Financial Prosecutor’s Office told Pandora Papers media partner Le Monde that Strauss-Kahn is suspected of laundering the proceeds of tax fraud. They didn’t elaborate on the allegations which were put to a hearing before the summer.

His lawyer, Jean Veil, told the French daily that the former finance minister is cooperating with authorities. “Do ents were sent to the tax authorities, and I am convinced that they were satisfied with them, since nothing has happened at the judicial level”, Veil said.

Confidential records from 2016 and 2017, obtained by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, revealed that Strauss-Kahn used a Morocco-based company, Parnasse International Sarlau, to take in millions of dollars in consulting fees from such clients as Rosneft – an oil company partly owned by the Russian state – and the Chinese aviation conglomerate HNA Group. Much of his earnings were tax-free, according to the news site L’Obs.
    https://www.icij.org/investigations/...s-revelations/

Thread Information