Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Name
    Josh
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I wouldn't trust that place if they are asking for all this money.

Name
    Veronica Lynn
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I ripped up all the paper work and threw it away...

Now that the blinders are off they are really off. I don't know what I was thinking.
    Here this guy was going to take my photos and I have never seen any of his work.

Sigh!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Damn it Angel if you really want an agent/ manager let me know ill send you my card, i can make you big baby really big

Name
    Josh
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Damn it Angel if you really want an agent/ manager let me know ill send you my card, i can make you big baby really big
    You'll make her as big as Falls City....which isn't big at all

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    nah im good when it comes down to stuff like that i can get her to start off small like something on broadway then work her up the chain till she gets to star in her own movies that she herself directs and produces

Name
    Veronica Lynn
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't know if I want your agent card Bat. I will take your credit card though.

Haha! Nothing like a shopping trip to help shake off the stupid.

While I'm out, I'll pick you up a Rasho jersey.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I hate Rasho!!!!

Name
    Josh
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I don't know if I want your agent card Bat. I will take your credit card though.

Haha! Nothing like a shopping trip to help shake off the stupid.

While I'm out, I'll pick you up a Rasho jersey.
    hahahaha i'm sure bat will give you his credit card

Lottery Pick
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    All I know is to stay away from avant. They owe a friend of mine money from years ago. A few thousand bucks too, not chump change. Bad reputation, just ask around.

Name
    Veronica Lynn
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thanks for the tip. = )

Crowned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I actually was with Avant for a little bit - I had the same sort of issues with them. It took me a while to get some money, but I eventually got it. It's just an agency that has been here for awhile.

Condra has the best reputation around town, but they don't take on a whole lot of new talent.

Honestly, I'd look into Austin/Dallas/Houston agencies. Dallas gets a ton of modeling work, if that's your main goal. You don't have to move there, necessarily. Just be willing to drive for auditions and go-sees, etc. I've made more than a few trips to Dallas and back, where I was actually in Dallas for less than a half hour. Truthfully, most of the work in Texas is outside of San Antonio. For over three years, I made, on average, two trips to Austin a week. It's not a pleasant thing, but it's the price of it.

Acclaim in Austin has been around for a good bit. Actors Clearinghouse is another. K Hall. Boulevard.

Reason I'd venture outside of San Antonio for representation is that, in the entertainment industry in Texas, San Antonio is almost nothing. Any notices that come through San Antonio - Austin and Dallas are going to know about them, but not necessarily vice versa. I have an agent in Austin and one in Dallas. I know about every audition in San Antonio through them, but when I was represented in San Antonio, I didn't hear about all the things going on in Austin and Dallas.

Do a search for all the agencies. Go in and talk to them. Basically, interview them, like they would you. Some may require acting classes to get in - but not through them. They don't care who you take them with, but they just want you to have experience.

Name
    Veronica Lynn
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So tell me what you do. Are you a model and/ or actor?
    What was your favorite job?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was a actor/model for the Stephen Stoli playhouse on Wurzbach Rd for 3 years. I did mostly underground work, but I was a major player down there. I got out because the game was becoming to commercial. $40k a year in your young 20s sounds nice, but when you think about all the dress rehearsals and photo shoots in addition to 30 hour weeks, it wears on you. If you are serious and ready to commit to a career in modeling, I can funnel you to the right people, but you got to know that not everybody you have to pay is in the wrong. Scouts and talent evaluaters have to make a living to and there's 1000s of girls dying to get a shot. Perfect 10's are a dime a dozen to them, so it's basically of chance of who catches there eye. To them people that pay show more investment, courage, commitment, and desire to be in the game. They show that's really what they want to do for life, not just some girlish dream at the moment. Top o' the line TE's get anywhere from $500 and up for a 10 minute impression and opinion with a model. The models (and sometimes actors) are guaranteed nothing but a look over.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    No, absolutely do not do it. ANY agency that asks you for money up front is not legit. I've done this for about nine years, and I have two agents, and I worked at an agency for about a year, so I know a bit about it. I can give you a list of reputable agents in and around the area if you're interested.

These operate by pretty much offering anyone and everyone the opportunity to be a model/actor/actress. Basically, it's anyone that's willing to pay their fees, use their photographers, etc. Agents do NOT care where you get your pictures done, or who does them. They don't care where the picture reproductions are made. They don't stand to make any money off of that.

A headshot session for acting might run about $200-500. Nils Juul Hansen is an excellent photographer in Austin (http://www.nilsjuulhansen.com/) that doesn't charge near that.

Reproductions can be made for $100+ (for about 250 copies). (Anderson Graphics in LA charges about $150 for 250 copies, for example.

Acting classes are available for anywhere from $50 and up. CK McFarland in Austin is a great example. She's about $150 for seven weeks.

Compare those numbers with the seven grand they're asking for. I can guarantee you beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you will not get a cent back of the money that you give them. You don't need sponsors for acting and modeling.

Reputable agencies do not charge you any money to be represented by them. They make money if/when you make money through an agency fee (standard is 15%) in Texas.

If you're serious about doing it, check with modeling agencies around town.

Condra Artista, Calliope, and Avant are three San Antonio agencies that have been around forever.

Hey King I pasted your info in an e mail to help a friend out, I hope you don't mind.

Thanks

2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you have to give them any money for head shots or a portfolio, it's a scam.

Name
    Veronica Lynn
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Wow! Turns out my quack of an agent may not have been entirely useless!

This morning I found a phone message from Third Coast Casting, a division of Beth Sepko Casting.
    http://www.bethsepkocasting.com/beth...what_we_do.cfm

They want me to be an extra in a movie! It's nothing huge of course but it sounds really fun and it is a paid position.
    I need to be in Austin early Monday morning.

The reason Beth Sepko knows about me is because when I met my agent
    (months ago) he gave me a profile application form to mail in. It is not his company or anything.
    I decided it couldn't hurt to put my name and profile out there so I mailed in the paperwork and quite honestly forget about it.

Needless to say this was a very pleasant surprise. Just pray they let me switch my hours at the mall!

Crowned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Beth Sepko is quite legit. She's becoming the biggest casting director in Austin. Good person to know. Sweet as , too. Extra work is interesting, just be ready for long hours - and truthfully, not a lot of pay. It'll probably be $75 for a 12 hour day. Good experience, though.

Third Coast is the main extras casting agency around. Chances are, you'll get calls in the future from them about other movies. If you agree to do one movie, you're in the system of people they call.

Good luck and have fun with it. Any idea which movie it is?

Crowned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A few more things -

Extras are going to be assigned to a PA (Production assistant). Don't be surprised when he/she is an ass - it's an ego thing. Especially the one in charge of the extras, because that's essentially the lowest rung on the ladder. Don't take it personal.

Be ready to wait - and wait - and wait. We've shot scenes that are two minutes in the movie, and take literally 20 hours to film (over the course of two or three days). It's going to get boring at times - but if you've never seen how a movie is made, it's as close to it as you'll get (assuming you're on set, and not in extras holding) and it's a great way to learn.

Some movies treat the extras bad - as far as second rate food (burgers instead of steak, etc) to what the cast/crew is eating - and some treat them really well. It all depends on the director, actually.

It's not glitz and glamour. Movie sets are actually VERY boring places. But, again - it's a of an experience if you've never done anything like it. You'll have fun, I'm sure.

Name
    Veronica Lynn
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it all in mind! I hope it all works out for me to go because it would be a brand new and great experience.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Angel Luv, I think we can better give advice when there are pictures.

just kidding, hope all goes well. Happy Thanksgiving.

Name
    Veronica Lynn
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Wow the paparazzi are after me already?!???! Cool!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ^^^ hey, that's cool your'e in that field. In a couple of months I'll be directing an independent film I'm writing; a comedy. It's always been my dream to make movies.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Talent advice from a call screener :Priceless

Name
    Veronica Lynn
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Good luck and have fun with it. Any idea which movie it is?

I don't know what movie.. guess I'll find out. =)

Crowned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Talent advice from a call screener :Priceless
    And someone who is SAG eligible, with two agents, and about 14 movies/tv shows of experience.

And, yeah - I screen calls.

Thread Information