Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I expect it. I'm at High Leorics Wall or whatever it's called now. Right after you pass that Dragon perched on top of the tower.. It makes you go so far without a campfire, gets annoying so I don't progress
    Eh, most of the time I think the campfires are well-spaced. Make sure you're burning your shards to give yourself more Estus Flasks, those are key. Also you can allocate your faith pots to regular health pots at the blacksmith if you aren't a magic character.

Damn that's not sounding like a game I'd be into if so, maybe I'll give this a pass. Or is it actually worth the frustration?
    I am pretty new to the series and it's definitely a struggle but it's about managing your health. You can't afford to take damage vs. every foe you face, so you have to learn the ins and outs of each opponent. Most aren't that difficult.

As an example, there's a mob that looks like a butcher, he has a giant hacksaw. The first time I fought him I had to use 4 estus flasks (health pots) just to kill him. Now I can take him out without taking any damage.

It's definitely frustrating, but not unfair, and the reward for learning how to easily take apart a mob that used to own you is really awesome. As opposed to many games that favor button mashing and just overwhelming your opponent, DS3 teaches you how to gauge distance, when to block, when to tumble the out of the way, and when to react very quickly when your opponent starts to wind up. You're going to die, a lot, but by the time you get to around level 40, you're rolling around and blocking a ton of attacks with your shield and immediately responding to the threat. It feels very weighty, like an actual swordfight should. Get lazy or sloppy and a lot of enemies can rip you to shreds. And it changes based on what weapon you have. If I know I'm going up against short ranged fast enemies, I switch over to my greatsword, because I can hit them with a lot more range and keep several of them at bay with one swing. Completely shifts my strategy vs using an axe, which can typically only hit one enemy at a time.

Worst case, if you're really struggling with an area, you can just summon a friendly spirit to help you. What feels impossible by yourself becomes very manageable with 2 or 3 people in your game who can take some hits for you and stab the dude in the back when he goes to finish you off.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, most of the time I think the campfires are well-spaced. Make sure you're burning your shards to give yourself more Estus Flasks, those are key. Also you can allocate your faith pots to regular health pots at the blacksmith if you aren't a magic character.

I am pretty new to the series and it's definitely a struggle but it's about managing your health. You can't afford to take damage vs. every foe you face, so you have to learn the ins and outs of each opponent. Most aren't that difficult.

As an example, there's a mob that looks like a butcher, he has a giant hacksaw. The first time I fought him I had to use 4 estus flasks (health pots) just to kill him. Now I can take him out without taking any damage.

It's definitely frustrating, but not unfair, and the reward for learning how to easily take apart a mob that used to own you is really awesome. As opposed to many games that favor button mashing and just overwhelming your opponent, DS3 teaches you how to gauge distance, when to block, when to tumble the out of the way, and when to react very quickly when your opponent starts to wind up. You're going to die, a lot, but by the time you get to around level 40, you're rolling around and blocking a ton of attacks with your shield and immediately responding to the threat. It feels very weighty, like an actual swordfight should. Get lazy or sloppy and a lot of enemies can rip you to shreds. And it changes based on what weapon you have. If I know I'm going up against short ranged fast enemies, I switch over to my greatsword, because I can hit them with a lot more range and keep several of them at bay with one swing. Completely shifts my strategy vs using an axe, which can typically only hit one enemy at a time.

Worst case, if you're really struggling with an area, you can just summon a friendly spirit to help you. What feels impossible by yourself becomes very manageable with 2 or 3 people in your game who can take some hits for you and stab the dude in the back when he goes to finish you off.
    OK thanks. Would you say DS III is as much fun as Dying Light? That's still the gold standard to me, holy the ending is great in the The Following DLC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn that's not sounding like a game I'd be into if so, maybe I'll give this a pass. Or is it actually worth the frustration?
    The sprawling multi leveled stage design and variety in the enemies has me continuing to play.. I havent even really touched the loot system or upgrading my character yet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK thanks. Would you say DS III is as much fun as Dying Light? That's still the gold standard to me, holy the ending is great in the The Following DLC.
    Nah, Dying Light FTW, but DS3 is worth getting, especially considering you're getting it at a 100% discount

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, Dying Light FTW, but DS3 is worth getting, especially considering you're getting it at a 100% discount
    No thanks to Bird Sister's dumb ass tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not as accessible, but beating a boss in ds3 feels ing amazing. Like you actually accomplished something that was very hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game is ok so far.. Great level design tbh, some of the best I've ever seen. I was stuck on the first monster ( y ice lizard thing) for about an hour so I can imagine how bad it's gonna be
    I haven't progressed any from where I was at the time of this post, and I've played it every day since

At least I finally earned how to lock on, run, jump, and change equipment though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't progressed any from where I was at the time of this post, and I've played it every day since

At least I finally earned how to lock on, run, jump, and change equipment though
    Make sure you're leveling up with souls.

If you're having trouble try upgrading your weapons. Whenever you get anite shards you should use them, I have 55 stored now because I didn't use them when I first got them. Once your weapon gets to level 4ish, you'll need a different type of anite to upgrade it.

If you're really struggling you can call another person to help you by summoning them. Makes a big difference.

Are you on PC? If you are I can create a new character and join your game through a password.
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 05-06-2016 at 11:03 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make sure you're leveling up with souls.

If you're having trouble try upgrading your weapons. Whenever you get anite shards you should use them, I have 55 stored now because I didn't use them when I first got them. Once your weapon gets to level 4ish, you'll need a different type of anite to upgrade it.

If you're really struggling you can call another person to help you by summoning them. Makes a big difference.

Are you on PC? If you are I can create a new character and join your game through a password.
    Yeah, see.. that's the I need to learn still.. I have those shards, but honestly didn't know what the they're used for.. I have enough souls to level, but didn't realize I need to teleport back to that to level up.. So that helps.. I've gotten better at rolling strategically for the back stabs, and that has helped too.. I honestly just figured out how to lock on, so I don't know how many firebombs I wasted trying to hit things without the damn lock.

As for helping, I'm on the special poverty edition, there will be joining my game unless it works with Tunngle or whatever

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for helping, I'm on the special poverty edition, there will be joining my game unless it works with Tunngle or whatever

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, see.. that's the I need to learn still.. I have those shards, but honestly didn't know what the they're used for.. I have enough souls to level, but didn't realize I need to teleport back to that to level up.. So that helps.. I've gotten better at rolling strategically for the back stabs, and that has helped too.. I honestly just figured out how to lock on, so I don't know how many firebombs I wasted trying to hit things without the damn lock.

So just to clarify a few things:

Souls - The wench will level you up with these, they're always counted on your screen for you. Try to bump the stats you need early on, but it's good to always boost Vigor alongside strength or dex (or int/faith if you're a mage), as that gives you more life. Endurance is really good too as it gives you more blocking or striking capacity in combat.

anite - Go to the blacksmith and have him reinforce your weapons. These will give added damage, from base to begin with and as you level it up it will cause other stats to rise and become a factor. There are different levels of anite, in order of rarity:

Shard: Reinforces a weapon (not won't help a shield much) to +3. Use these, they are everywhere.
    Large anite shard: Reinforces a weapon to +6. Extremely rare early game, somewhat common mid-late game.
    Twinkling anite: Reinforces a specialized weapon. Fairly rare throughout the game. This is usually for rare weapons.
    anite Scale: Same as Twinkling except slightly less common.
    anite Chunk: Reinforces a weapon to +9. Late game item only, as I have only found one of these so far.
    anite Slab: Max reinforcement of a weapon.

Estus shards - Again go to the blacksmith, choose reinforce estus and you will have more pots to use.

Undead bone shards - Burn these AT your bonfire, they will give your estus flasks more health recovery.

A word on stamina: If you can find a shield that blocks 100% of physical damage, it's really strong for early game because as long as you have stamina, you can block attacks without dropping your guard. This gives you more time to learn attack patterns of enemies. Get used to them winding up, and immediately attack them. If you're really having trouble with one, you might be able to run past it. But stamina is really the key. Rolling away is good to establish distance and force them to use a big move to close on you, then when you block it you should either have a window to attack or you can just wait for them to attack x3 or x4 and exhaust themselves, and then you should have a window again to do some damage.

A shield with full physical protection will say *100* next to the physical stat on the defense screen when you equip it.

Are there any particular enemies you're having trouble with?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So just to clarify a few things:

Souls - The wench will level you up with these, they're always counted on your screen for you. Try to bump the stats you need early on, but it's good to always boost Vigor alongside strength or dex (or int/faith if you're a mage), as that gives you more life. Endurance is really good too as it gives you more blocking or striking capacity in combat.

anite - Go to the blacksmith and have him reinforce your weapons. These will give added damage, from base to begin with and as you level it up it will cause other stats to rise and become a factor. There are different levels of anite, in order of rarity:

Shard: Reinforces a weapon (not won't help a shield much) to +3. Use these, they are everywhere.
    Large anite shard: Reinforces a weapon to +6. Extremely rare early game, somewhat common mid-late game.
    Twinkling anite: Reinforces a specialized weapon. Fairly rare throughout the game. This is usually for rare weapons.
    anite Scale: Same as Twinkling except slightly less common.
    anite Chunk: Reinforces a weapon to +9. Late game item only, as I have only found one of these so far.
    anite Slab: Max reinforcement of a weapon.

Estus shards - Again go to the blacksmith, choose reinforce estus and you will have more pots to use.

Undead bone shards - Burn these AT your bonfire, they will give your estus flasks more health recovery.

A word on stamina: If you can find a shield that blocks 100% of physical damage, it's really strong for early game because as long as you have stamina, you can block attacks without dropping your guard. This gives you more time to learn attack patterns of enemies. Get used to them winding up, and immediately attack them. If you're really having trouble with one, you might be able to run past it. But stamina is really the key. Rolling away is good to establish distance and force them to use a big move to close on you, then when you block it you should either have a window to attack or you can just wait for them to attack x3 or x4 and exhaust themselves, and then you should have a window again to do some damage.

A shield with full physical protection will say *100* next to the physical stat on the defense screen when you equip it.

This helps a lot, thanks

Yeah, all the ones with weapons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This helps a lot, thanks

Yeah, all the ones with weapons.
    What class are you? Usually it's a good idea to do a lot of blocking until you get familiar with movement patterns, but if you're a mage that might not be the best bet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What class are you? Usually it's a good idea to do a lot of blocking until you get familiar with movement patterns, but if you're a mage that might not be the best bet.
    I was playing as a Knight at first, but just made a Pyromancer today that I'm gonna run with.. I've seen that fireball skill doing work on enemies, I think that will help me a lot until I can master the parrying

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was playing as a Knight at first, but just made a Pyromancer today that I'm gonna run with.. I've seen that fireball skill doing work on enemies, I think that will help me a lot until I can master the parrying
    Yep, Pyro is easier to start with, that's for sure. Find a weapon that suits you and use the crap out of it. Once you get a good shield the game becomes a bit more of a chessmatch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, this game gets intense later on. Highly recommended, definitely #1 candidate for GOTY from me so far by a wide margin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, this game is sick. Never played a Souls game until this one..

I used your tips and figured out the upgrade mechanics in the shrine.. I killed that got treasure chest with legs and teeth and he dropped a sick Axe.. Was able to beat that part on Lothric's Wall and beat the stage boss.. The next level is ing twisted with all the tied up bodies hanging and .

Love the dark imagery and the vast vantage points in this game. Good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I used your tips and figured out the upgrade mechanics in the shrine.. I killed that got treasure chest with legs and teeth and he dropped a sick Axe.. Was able to beat that part on Lothric's Wall and beat the stage boss.. The next level is ing twisted with all the tied up bodies hanging and .

Alright, I'm going to have to check this out once I finish AssCreed II (which is ing amazing so far). Better with mouse and keyboard or XBox 360 controller?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alright, I'm going to have to check this out once I finish AssCreed II (which is ing amazing so far). Better with mouse and keyboard or XBox 360 controller?
    Controller is the only way to play this IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Either, really. You're going to have a trade off.

Controller is going to give you more defensive options since you can use your thumbs more effectively, however it's going to skillcap you since aiming the camera can be a chore. I play with a Ps3 controller as it's comfortable for me to do so.

KB&M is probably less intuitive and harder at first but gives you a better range of attacks since you don't need to use locking mechanics as much to fight creatures. Particularly good against boss battles and aiming your bow.

Overall KB&M is probably better but I find the controller a bit more enjoyable for once.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Always attack treasure chests before opening them. The number of mimics in this game are ridiculous and they're hard to beat if you don't know their movements.

One thing new players do (myself included) is that we try to roll too early. You really have to wait until the attack is on it's way before rolling. You get several frames of invincibility when you roll, but if you roll early you're going to lose the stamina AND get hit, and it's going to get you killed a lot.

Let me know if any other areas give you trouble. I should warn you it gets harder from here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really have to wait until the attack is on it's way before rolling. You get several frames of invincibility when you roll, but if you roll early you're going to lose the stamina AND get hit, and it's going to get you killed a lot.
    Yeah those hesitation swings are a to deal with.. I'm good tbh, now that I understand the upgrade system and the lock-on it's just a matter of learning enemy patterns. I'll beat the game at some point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah those hesitation swings are a to deal with.. I'm good tbh, now that I understand the upgrade system and the lock-on it's just a matter of learning enemy patterns. I'll beat the game at some point.
    Just keep in mind that the game likes to flip the script on you a lot. The bosses tend to all have completely different strategies. Most of them are incredibly hard solo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just keep in mind that the game likes to flip the script on you a lot. The bosses tend to all have completely different strategies. Most of them are incredibly hard solo.
    I'm on that ing tree now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm on that ing tree now
    Beat him yet? There are some pretty straightforward strats to taking him down.

Thread Information