My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Survey: 60 percent of National Guard and Reserve female veterans say they were sexually harassed
    09/29/2005 02:03:51 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Six in 10 women who have served in the National Guard and Reserves said they were sexually harassed or assaulted, but less than a quarter reported it and many who did were encouraged to drop the complaint, according to a survey released Thursday.

The survey, done by the Department of Veterans Affairs and released by Democratic members of Congress, found that nearly half of the women who responded said the sexual trauma occurred while they were on duty. Fifty-two percent of the cases involving women were verbal harassment and 8 percent involved rape or attempted rape, while the rest were for other types of incidents.

More than 27 percent of male Guard and Reserve veterans said they had experienced some type of sexual harassment or assault -- most often by other men.

The VA surveyed nearly 4,000 men and women who served between 1950-2000.
    Sioux City Journal

Wasn't Vashner once is the Reserves?

None of this is really surprising, well except the 27% of men harassing and assualting other men perhaps, but there continues to exist a feeling of 'above the law' culture in the military. Plattoon members sleep with each other, each other's spouses, and even superior officers. It's a rare exception when anyone gets in trouble for fraternization.

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are you talking about Dan? Why are you bringing this stuff up? It's called life, you should get one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do realize that sexual harrassment can be as insignificant as someone being offended by an off-color joke, right?

My uncles' friend is JFK NameDropper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've heard this goes on all the time. The military is not for the weak or timid.....or women.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish I would be sexually harrased once in awhile, it's good to feel appreciated. Not by a dude though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    true, sexual harrasment could be construed as being offended by seeing someone hug.

anyone ever taken a sexual harrasment policy class, you will be surprised what could be construed as sexual harrasment...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fifty-two percent of the cases involving women were verbal harassment and 8 percent involved rape or attempted rape, while the rest were for other types of incidents.
    First of all the survey was only 4,000 people that served at any time in a 50 year period. Not a great cross sampling.

Secondly, if someone at my job said, "Nice Rack," I could consider that verbal sexual harrassment. So this article really doesn't mean jack.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do realize that sexual harrassment can be as insignificant as someone being offended by an off-color joke, right?
    yeah! Come to think of it, I've been offended by stupid, off color humor in this very forum. Sexual Harassment Kori!! I claim sexual harassment!! Where do I file my complaint?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, the military has one of the best and most comprehensive sexual harrassment and eo programs of any organization. so, at least they are working on it..

Thread Information